CaliJ

Chrysler 75 Cylinder Head

Hello,  I am new to this forum but figured someone here would be able to answer my question.  I am looking at a 1929 Chrysler 75 roadster and can not determine if the head is a Redhead or not.  Most post say that "red head" should be cast on the top but this head only has the part number cast:  53948.  There is a small tag on a corner with 11-12 on it.   Any insight someone might be able to give would be most helpful.  I do not know if it is any help but the engine block is casting number 74429   1   4.10.9  serial number R300628 

Thank you for any insight.

See post number 2 in

You appear to have a Chrysler 75 engine in that Chrysler 75, so that is good.

I don't see 53948 as a head part number.

For the Model 75 (R) 74395 is the part number for the standard head  and # 74703 would be the red head.

That is interesting, about the part numbers.  I only know what is cast into the head sitting on the engine.  Could it be from a 65 or maybe an other Chrysler car year? 

35 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

Is the casting number the same as the part number, though?

No.

If the number that is cast into the top of the head is not the part number What is the 53948 number mean?

Maybe the number is something added in the foundry, referring to their parts list system rather than the overall Chrysler parts list sequence.