Advantage Lifts 11,000

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 2:45 PM, MRJBUICK said:

EmTee  if you dont mind me asking what is the ceiling height of the garage pictured

10 feet.  Without the Riviera under it I can just stand under the Pontiac.  As shown, the highest point on the Riviera (just behind the windshield header clears the lift cross bar by about an inch and a half.  It's close, but it works.  I had thought I may have to scissor some of the trusses for additional height, but seeing it now I think I'll be OK as-is.  I'm thinking of pouring a slab directly in front of the door so that I can wheel the lift outside for anything requiring full height or messy work.

BTW, I sprang for the sliding axle jack and I'm happy I did.  It made installing the 4 snow tires on my wife's car a snap!  Much easier (and safer) than messing with bottle jacks on the standard jack plate!  ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EmTee said:

10 feet.  Without the Riviera under it I can just stand under the Pontiac.  As shown, the highest point on the Riviera (just behind the windshield header clears the lift cross bar by about an inch and a half.  It's close, but it works.  I had thought I may have to scissor some of the trusses for additional height, but seeing it now I think I'll be OK as-is.  I'm thinking of pouring a slab directly in front of the door so that I can wheel the lift outside for anything requiring full height or messy work.

BTW, I sprang for the sliding axle jack and I'm happy I did.  It made installing the 4 snow tires on my wife's car a snap!  Much easier (and safer) than messing with bottle jacks on the standard jack plate!  ;)

I'm thinking of a four post lift too.  My new shop will be 15 ft in the center 12 at the side walls.

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I had my garage built in 1988 with 8' walls. I think it was 1990 when lifts started to become popular in hobby garages. I have a Snap On scissors lift and a Kwik Lift ramp style. I have been looking at the Max Jax but I prefer the four post with a roller jack (or two). I am not a big fan of supporting cars at the cowl as done with a two post lift. Too much weight is suspended ahead of the lift points to make me happy. I have rested some big cars on jack stands at the cowl and watched the bumper come down another 4" after contact. Maybe for a short time, but with old cars there are too many exceptions.

I have been planning a tall addition. Seems like a good excuse.

Bernie

• Like 1

Below is a link to the post I made on the Reatta forum.......

As indicated by others,  there are advantages to both 2 and 4 post lifts.

For car storage and if you are unsure if the concrete floor of your shop is strong enough,  the 4 post is best.

The 2 post lift must be anchored to the concrete floor,  if you are uncertain of the strength of the concrete floor, then avoid a 2 post lift.

One additional thing that I have done with my 2 post,  but would also work on a 4 post,   change the blades on my riding mower.

I have a 4 ft long section of 4x4 angle iron.    I place it between two of the legs,   hook a chain on the angle Iron and the other end on the front of the mower.  now you can raise the mower to a 45 degree angle ...clean the mower deck and change the blades.

It (2 post) also works great on cars (Corvair and FWD vehicles) where the motor come out from under the car.    I have a motorcycle lift ....slide that under the motor,  lower the car lift so the engine or subframe sits on the cycle lift,  disconnect everything, then raise the car off the engine(transmission and subframe)   now you have the engine out and on a device that you can move around the shop.

• Like 1

I went back-and-forth in my head between 2-post and 4-post.  Ultimately, for me, the top requirement was the ability to store a car on the lift which drove the decision in favor of the 4-post.  Like I said above, I ordered mine (Direct Lift) with the optional sliding axle jack, which I think really addresses most of the downside of a 4-post (need to raise wheels separately for tire/brake work).  My other worry was limited assess underneath due to the ramps.  In reality, I honestly can't think of anything that I would want to do that I can't do with this lift -- access to the entire underside is surprisingly good.  My son-in-law & I replaced the exhaust on my daughter's Mariner from the cat back and the lift made it a snap.  Her SUV is taller than my cars, so we couldn't stand up straight under it, but it was still 1000% better than laying on my back on the floor.  ;)

P.S. Since the 4-post isn't bolted to the floor (and has removable wheels) I can easily move it to another bay in my pole barn if I want to.  Another consideration was access to service and parts.  That led me to the Direct Lift, whose dealer is located near Buffalo, but routinely travel the I90 corridor for customer installations and service.  So far, I'm very happy with my choice.

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

EmTee mentioned something I forgot.........some makers of 4 post lifts offer a "high lift" version/option.   This give you more head room and/or if you want to park a taller vehicle under the lift.

I have a friend that is about 6' 2" and whatever brand he purchased, they offered the higher lift........which he purchased.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...