1928 Packard 526 Six Runabout

This 1928 Packard Series 526 Six 2/4-Passenger Runabout was purchased by my grandfather in 1961 and owned my father before I inherited the car in 2015.

The car is powered by a 288ci inline-six paired with a 3-speed manual transmission and was refurbished by the family between 1980 and 1983 with a repaint in cream, new caramel leather upholstery, mechanical overhauls, and more. Additional equipment includes a tan soft top, rumble seat, dual side-mount spares, and factory-optional cowl lights.

Maintenance during my ownership has consisted of a recored radiator, new battery, and mechanical inspection in September 2018. This AACA Junior and Senior award winner is offered in Pennsylvania with a clean Florida title in the seller’s name.

The early 1980s refurbishment was a body off, down to metal restoration that included bodywork, a repaint in cream and black, and the addition of a green pinstripe as well as the initials of my grandfather on the doors.

The car was  shown in 1983 AACA meets in York and Hershey, Pennsylvania, where it earned Junior and Senior Awards in successive shows.  The car also earned numerous Preservation Awards after receiving the Senior Award in October of 1983.

Tons of records including original purchase documents of my grandfather, original owners manual.

Identical vehicle not in nearly the same condition recently sold at RM Sotheby's Hershey for $71.5K.  Here is the link for the car: https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/hf18/hershey/lots/r0092-1928-packard-six-roadster/713421

Asking $75000

Please contact Pete English with questions/information or for additional pictures.

Email: PeteEnglish11@gmail.com

Ph: 407-474-6378

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

Edited by PAEnglish11
Additional information (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Pete, yours seems a very nice car, and one I'd be proud to maintain if I had the garage space. 

To be fair, yours is not identical to the auction car (which I closely inspected at Hershey). Not to take away anything from your car, but you describe it as a 526 - the auction car is a 533 - substantial difference in wheelbase and stature - kind of like my 1930 733 Touring not being the equal of a 740 or a 745, and not of equivalent value to the grander series when in comparable condition.

The Series 526, has a 7 inch shorter wheelbase at 126 inches than the 533 with 133 inches. Both series had 82 brake horsepower @3200 rpm (29.4 rated horsepower). Of course yours would be a better performer than the larger car with the same engine. 

I had followed your car when it was offered on the Bring-A-Trailer auction site, and saw that your reserve must have been higher than the $40,000 high bid.

Good luck with your sale.

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

Pete, I knew your dad, who was a member of our

AACA region.  I miss his friendliness and expertise.

He contributed a couple of car articles to our newsletter, too.

Potential buyers:  The family who have been caretaker of

this car are dedicated Packard fans, and good people.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Thank you @Marty Roth   I appreciate the clarification as I was not aware that the one sold at Hershey was a 533 model.  It really didn't clearly state that in any of the materials that I read, so I will take your word for it.

I appreciate the input and clarification.  Yes, the reserve was much higher on BAT as you can probably figure out from my asking price here.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...