Jump to content

Donation to honor Herb Oakes & Dave Zimmerman


Recommended Posts

I received this email from Hulon McCraw this morning, with his permission I am posting this in hopes we can reach the goal and honor both of these fine gentleman that gave so much to AACA

Thanks

Paul & Lynn Gawel

I had the honor of serving 10 years on the AACA Board with two gentlemen and past presidents who were stead- fast in upholding the cornerstone mission of our hobby. Both (Dave Zimmerman- 2005 and Herb Oakes- 2012) earned and maintained my utmost respect and support for their commitment and dedication to AACA and our hobby. As we enter into a new building fund campaign we have the opportunity to honor both these individuals by raising $15,000.00 each for Office Naming Rights in their honor. While the members, Regions and Chapters in New Jersey and North Carolina are committed to making this happen we will need help from the many friends both gentlemen made while serving our club. I felt obligated to reach out to members who crossed paths with both gentlemen and found them as I did deserving of this honor.

Two offices have been temporarily reserved for a short time period so we can achieve the necessary donations. I hope you will join our efforts for this deserving recognition for both Dave Zimmerman and Herb Oakes. Your donation will have a double impact supporting the Building Fund Campaign and honoring both Dave and Herb with offices named in their honor.

Hopefully you will choose to support both men. If so, individual checks must be made each payable to; AACA Building Fund and designate in the MEMO blank Dave Zimmerman office naming and on the second check Herb Oakes office naming. Mail to Antique Automobile Club of America, 501 West Governor Road, Hershey, PA 17033-2219

The families of both Dave and Herb are very appreciative for your support and honoring their loved one.

If you have any questions please contact me 828-606-2918 cell or hcmccraw@morrisbb.net I work more effective by phone.

Thank you in advance for your support.

 

Hulon C. McCraw Sr.

AACA member 573898

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, paul455 said:

... we have the opportunity to honor both these individuals by raising $15,000.00 each for Office Naming Rights in their honor....

 

Here's an easier way:  Let the AACA simply affix their

names on some facet of the building in their honor.

It's done all the time at colleges, in honor

of people like them who served in a distinguished manner.

 

That doesn't require spending money;  it would be an act

of the Board.  There may be some other past presidents, too,

who could be honored in this manner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, paul455 said:

I received this email from Hulon McCraw this morning, with his permission I am posting this in hopes we can reach the goal and honor both of these fine gentleman that gave so much to AACA

Thanks

Paul & Lynn Gawel

I had the honor of serving 10 years on the AACA Board with two gentlemen and past presidents who were stead- fast in upholding the cornerstone mission of our hobby. Both (Dave Zimmerman- 2005 and Herb Oakes- 2012) earned and maintained my utmost respect and support for their commitment and dedication to AACA and our hobby. As we enter into a new building fund campaign we have the opportunity to honor both these individuals by raising $15,000.00 each for Office Naming Rights in their honor. While the members, Regions and Chapters in New Jersey and North Carolina are committed to making this happen we will need help from the many friends both gentlemen made while serving our club. I felt obligated to reach out to members who crossed paths with both gentlemen and found them as I did deserving of this honor.

Two offices have been temporarily reserved for a short time period so we can achieve the necessary donations. I hope you will join our efforts for this deserving recognition for both Dave Zimmerman and Herb Oakes. Your donation will have a double impact supporting the Building Fund Campaign and honoring both Dave and Herb with offices named in their honor.

Hopefully you will choose to support both men. If so, individual checks must be made each payable to; AACA Building Fund and designate in the MEMO blank Dave Zimmerman office naming and on the second check Herb Oakes office naming. Mail to Antique Automobile Club of America, 501 West Governor Road, Hershey, PA 17033-2219

The families of both Dave and Herb are very appreciative for your support and honoring their loved one.

If you have any questions please contact me 828-606-2918 cell or hcmccraw@morrisbb.net I work more effective by phone.

Thank you in advance for your support.

 

Hulon C. McCraw Sr.

AACA member 573898

 

 

Lynn & Paul,

 

Thank you for forwarding Hulon's memo.  I agree that it would be a great way to memorialize Dave and Herb of whom gave so much to the club.  The least we can do.  Two checks coming...

 

Regards,

 

Peter J.

Link to post
Share on other sites

John,

For the club to honor all our past presidents  with their own room would leave not only the club but its members and supporters with little chance for naming rights.  Many people want to honor someone or be recognized as a supporter of this club!  Also, to single out only certain Presidents would be a bit unseemly.  As I wrote in my last column this building should be "of the people, for the people and by the people."  Without the generosity of our members we will not pull this magnificent venture off so it is critical that we get donations. I am happy to say that the support so far has been magnificent and we are on our way to reaching our goal in record time.  We still have a long way to go as this is a very expensive project but one that the vast majority of our members have applauded enthusiastically.

 

We have alluded to a major announcement by the club and as soon as the legalities are finished we will announce it.  When we do, it will be easily understood why getting a new building was so urgent.  Dave Zimmerman and Herb Oakes were two of the finest people I knew but there are a slew of ex-presidents I will put in the same category.  I sincerely hope that these fund raising efforts for Dave and Herb are successful and that their rooms are side by side.

 

There very well may be a plaque honoring all our past presidents in the building but those that are seeking a room are looking for something far more substantial and that is an act of kindness and caring that is typical of our membership.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

 

Here's an easier way:  Let the AACA simply affix their

names on some facet of the building in their honor.

It's done all the time at colleges, in honor

of people like them who served in a distinguished manner.

 

That doesn't require spending money;  it would be an act

of the Board.  There may be some other past presidents, too,

who could be honored in this manner.

 

John,

It's obvious that you do not understand the "naming rights" that Hulon is trying to accomplish here. It's not 

matter of "spending money" for a little plaque, it's a matter of raising money to buy and outfit the new building.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJFord54 said:

Herb Oakes passed in 2017, not 2012 as listed.  

 

That is not referring to the year they died. That is the year they were AACA Presidents.  (Dave Zimmerman- 2005 and Herb Oakes- 2012)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, West Peterson said:

It's obvious that you do not understand the "naming rights" that Hulon is trying to accomplish here. It's not 

matter of "spending money" for a little plaque, it's a matter of raising money to buy and outfit the new building.

 

Wrong.  I suggest a better way!  I like the idea of merit more than money.

And, with that system, those who appreciate the club will still

give generously, knowing all the good the AACA does.

 

And something should be named for our capable and friendly national editor, too.

 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

John, we will have to agree to disagree.  Those that are fervent in their desire to honor Dave and Herb and others have every right to raise money to honor them.  I have heard from a lot of people and those two men and others who may also get a room in their name were especially liked in no small part due to their service to our country. They were straight talking, to the point men who loved AACA.  They have a large contingent of fans. 

 

Your idea of merit may suit you but it is almost impossible for the club to handle.  Who decides who has merit?  What about countless great guys like Harold Coker, Al Edmond and the like?  Many in the club did not know these guys.  How many past Presidents or Board members will be slighted if a group of people today decide that only a select few will be honored so with a room in their name?  Not going to happen.  If members wish to "endow" a room in someone's name whether it is their own or a past president it is their right to do so.  We have 35 naming rights already sold and these are essential to the project.  As I said, we may well honor ALL the past presidents in the building pending design and budget constraints. 

 

We are thinking of erecting a statue for our editor...he deserves nothing less! :) 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

NO!!!!  The house that our members built!  It is their home and THEY are the ones that are going to make it happen.  I and others are just the conduit to helping them move in.  Besides, I think there is a urinal or toilet that will have my name on it.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

The original post was well meant.  It comes down to this.  If you want to join this campaign or any other do so.  If you do not or you do not like it simply don't get involved.  I just received a complaint on the thread but will let it stand.  There is nothing real egregious here but the complainant is a generous and loyal AACA member who in fact did donate to the campaign today and felt it going off track.  I don't want to lock the thread.  John has his viewpoint, we have ours.  We need the donations as this is a very ambitious project that will only be successful if our members get behind it.  Sorry I threw maybe too much levity into it but just wanted to have a little fun.  Ed thanks for your support and Gariepy I knew you would like the toilet joke but that one may be for real! 

 

The upside is that our campaign is in its infancy and I am getting calls and emails from others who want to outright purchase a naming opportunity!  It also needs to be very clear that It is not the club who is involved in the campaign for a room in Herb or Dave's honor. That idea is being spearheaded by Hulon McCraw as stated above and others who have joined him.  To date, there are at least 35 naming opportunities that have been taken including the naming rights to the building itself. 

 

I just walked though our CURRENT building and there are naming opportunities that were purchased in honor of  past presidents, etc. We also have trophies named for some in the past and not all.  Just saying.  The club has every intention in the world of honoring those that have built this club INCLUDING THE MEMBERSHIP! 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been blessed to have been friends of Dave and Herb for many years. They both have giving so much to our great organization. I fully support this fundraising effort to honor these  two good men of the A.A.C.A. Sue and I will be donating in the near future and I encourage our friends to do the same. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me chime in here as a past National President of the HCCA. With ALL of the incredible past presidents that have served the AACA over many years through good and bad times, why would you pick 2 out of this esteemed group of past presidents and want members to cough up money to honor just 2? This my friends is an terrible insult to the many that have served in the position and offered, nurtured and guided this fine organization through the many years of its existence. I think a "Presidents" room is a fine and proper reward for their service. To establish a special room to honor just 2 is a terrible insult to those that came before and after. This amounts to make some sort of honor to a very exclusive and personally selected pair of men. I would offer a donation if the room became an all encompassing room honoring ALL past presidents. I personally know of the costs of being a national president and honoring all would be a far more fitting tribute to their efforts on behalf of the AACA. After your museum debacle maybe this will be yet another mess the board and its employees will get us into. Members, don't write the check until this is solved to the satisfaction of the members, this proposal ain't right and has a peculiar odor to it.

 

just sayin'

 

Howard Musolf

National HCCA President 2001 

 

I

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Howard, with all due respect you have not read all the material here fully.  The CLUB has every intention in the world of finding a way to honor our past presidents and others in our new building.  This effort to honor Dave and Herb is being done by a few individuals who worked along side these two men and who have great respect for them.  It is their right, if they so choose to want to name a room or two if they can come up with the funds.  We have had a long history within the club, library and museum where people have bought naming rights for individuals they want to honor.  This is no different other than the person who came up with the idea is appealing to a broad base of people to get this done and the honorees happen to be past presidents.

 

We have sold almost 40 naming opportunities in our new building already.  Some will be in honor of someone else.  That is what the donor chose to do.  If I decide to honor someone with the room I paid for is that not my right whether he is a past president, employee or just a friend?  Should AACA be the arbitrator of who's name is allowed in the building?

 

Once again, this is nothing that AACA is directly involved with and we have a great history of wonderful people both passed and with us that deserve recognition.  WE GET THAT!!  This has no odor here whatsoever.  I think most of our members understand this and realize as great as Dave and Herb were (both served in the armed forces) that we owe it to our history to make sure we recognize who got us where we are today. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Doug, again the club is not actively involved in this "campaign".  I am sure the parties involved in trying to make this happen feel that their local regions and families who knew both of these people well will earmark their donations to the building fund to be earmarked for this project.    

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no link, this is not on Go Fund Me.  Hulon McCraw who started this campaign is asking for people to send their checks in.  We also can accept a credit card by calling this office and specifically earmarking your donation to the building fund.  If you wish to donate to to the room for Herb or Dave than so state (they are two separate rooms).  Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...