Willys Aero Eagle info needed

John C Bergan

I am the lucky owner of a 1953 Willys Aero Eagle and I am looking for a site that caters to the Aero models. In particular I would be interested in general maintenance and repair tips, however my present interest is to find help in replacing the speedometer cable - what would be the best approach in getting behind the dash to remove cable from meter. This car is equipped with 3 speed on column w/O.D. and has the F-head inline 6 (161 cid) and planar suspension. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Any good maintenance manuals out there?

Can you post a pic of your car?  Would enjoy seeing it.  I have a catalog for speedometer cables and will post info from it on your car later today.  I don’t own a car like yours but just last week I bought the sales brochure on the 1953 Areo from the AACA Library as I was always interested in this series of cars.  As for a manual, the quick way to get some info would be to get a Motors manual that covers 1953 models. A specific Willy’s manual exists but finding one might be a challenge. 

Thank you TerryB & Spinneyhill for your input on this request. I do have an owner's manual for the model 685 which appears to be quite adequate,  however it does not go into any detail on disassembly of speedo cable from the speedometer under the dash. Not sure how best to gain access to this tight spot - do I need to remove the entire dash or is there a step by step procedure for working around existing wire/cable connections to minimize disassembly? Has anyone out there replaced a speedo cable on a '53 Aero recently? Any & all advice would be appreciated. Thanks, JohnB

The Kaiser Frazer Owners Club International  KFOCI has a website.  It includes a Willys forum. They include Wills Aeros in their events. They can help with parts and technical info. You might even want to join. I belong it's a nice site and club. Go to   KFOCI

• Like 1

Thank you for the photo!  Beautiful car that’s not often seen without some big V8 installed.  As for removing the speedometer cable, I can only add that in the days when I was young and nimble it was necessary to lie on the floor and thread my hand up and around everything to reach the cable and turn it off by hand.  That was 40 years ago and that plan would not work today given my age. If you attempt to snake your hand back there be sure to disconnect the battery to avoid any unwanted wire crossing.  Good luck and enjoy your gem of an auto.

Great looking car with the most desirable engine and transmission combination. Must be a blast to drive and see people surprised at the acceleration and cruising speed. If that OD is similar to the earlier Jeepsters it is possible to shift into OD in second gear, assuming you don't mind the high revs for the long stroke engine !