crazycars

Electric Oil Pump for antique cars

Has anyone ever heard of fitting an antique car with an external, electric oil pump to supplement/replace the original gear driven pump?  I was considering this possibility for a 1920's Continental motor with a worn out pump gear drive.  

I am sure it could be done, but would be easier to just fix it correctly. Be sure if you rig that up the ignition doesn't power up till you have oil pressure, or very bad things could occur.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You have other possibilities ---if you haven't already thought of and tried

(1)  Many Cont'ls were issued in a kind of "series, in which several engines would share a few or quite a few parts...let us know which Cont'l  you have, as it's possible there may be "sister" engines with the same drive gear.....

(2) If the gear teeth are worn,  gears can be built back up or new ones can be machined, altho may be too costly...

(3) For NOS or advice on something that'll work try Garrad/Gerry/Jerry/Gerald Moon at Montes Eqpmt, NW of Chicago, longtime obsolete Cont'l dealers ..garradmoon@montes@flash.net or montesequipment.com..

(4) P A Ross Machinery in Dallas, longtime Cont'l engine dealer, has been mentioned as helpful with old obsoletes

(5) Haven't gotten to the Cont'l forum here yet; if not already on it, post which engine you have there too...

• Like 1

I had the same issue with a 4 cylinder plymouth        bad gears      got new ones    now I have good pressure and it is still factory-------------------------------------------HAPPY MAN

If you are doing it to see if it can be done then go for it else fix the problem.  Cont. parts are available as they made many different engines as has been pointed out.  I have two cars with continential engines and several Durant blocks in the garage and converting them to electric oil pumps would be a challenge.  Model T have had oil pumps added to them but they are a different design.  If you want to see how model T's have oil pumps you might try the T forums or speedster forums.

I know of one 1910 car that has a very small Volkswagen, I think, oil pump, external to the engine.  A small hole drilled in the front gear cover, I think they added a fitting to front of cam shaft, and great oil movement as long as engine is running.

My 1910 Buick Model 16 has an oil pump in the crankcase, run buy bevel gear off the camshaft, and then the "drive shaft" is a large spring.  That, and the water pump off the camshaft too, put a pretty good strain on the camshaft, and I'm debating how to remedy that.

Its important to know what oil pressure you should have.

Many of the early pressure lubricated engines run at fairly low pressure. They

depend more on volume than PSI. For instance according to the factory my T-head Wisconsin

which is 100% reliant on pressure lubrication (no dipping & slinging) is spot on with

5 - 10 psi on the gauge. However, that pump, which incorporates both scavenge and service

service pumps all in one unit, moves a lot of oil at that low pressure.

Find out what the engine needs. If its indeed low re-build the pump. Why go through the work

to add something that just adds to the complexity?

I think before I messed around with electric I would look into a belt driven oil pump.

Lots of race cars have those. Cogged belt.

In line with Terry's comment above ("why make it more complex"),  let us know which Cont'l you have as it may've  been  one of their more popular engines...assuming, of course, you're certain it is a Cont'l...

If you don't know the Cont'l designation, or aren't even sure it is a Cont'l,  (no tag or out of one of the cars that claimed to use "own" produced engine) post what info you have---b/s, what out of and/or presently in, stamped/embossed  numbers/letters etc)...

It's free; what've you got to lose, unless you just want to rig something up to see if it'll work for the fun of it...