Stromberg EE-22 replacement?

billorn

Looking for a carburetor that will work in place of a Stromberg EE-22. Have a older friend with a 33' Lincoln and the body of the carb cracked in two places (I think he dropped it but hes not talking). Its the same guy with the 37' Packard that was not running right I think he tries to do his own work and makes things worse. Anyway he cant find a replacement for any reasonable cost so is their something else he could use thats compatible until he finds another one? Its a 4 hole base with manual choke if that helps. Any ideas?

In a single word: no.

In more words: the throttle bores were moved further apart right after the EE-22 was discontinued to accommodate larger bores for the larger engines. Thus the newer throttle bodies have a different mounting footprint. Nothing bolt-on without fabricating a flange adapter. Anything used other than the original EE-22 is going to require: flange adapter, reworked throttle linkage, reworked choke linkage, reworked fuel line, and probably a different air cleaner.

More information: The EE-22 (and EE-2) was Stromberg's first attempt at a "thin wall casting". This created a service problem with mechanics in a hurry. Stromberg issued service bulletins to the car companies, who in turn issued service bulletins to their dealers; but the bulletins were largely ignored. Stromberg suggested using two wrenches for the fuel line whenever the fuel line was removed/installed. Failure to do so cracked the bowl casting!  After the issue was discovered, Stromberg reinforced the bowl at the point of the problem, but it only helped marginally. Still many failures due to the failure of mechanics to read or worse, ignore, the bulletins.

EE-22 bowls have been RARE since at least the early 1970's when I acquired the remains of Stromberg. Since I had/still have the original prints, I looked into having the bowls reproduced. Turns out the casting is quite complex, and the tooling costs were staggering, so did not go forward with the project.

10 hours ago, billorn said:

Anyway he cant find a replacement for any reasonable cost

What is a reasonable cost? What is the car worth running versus sitting not running? Other owners have been setting the value of the bowls for at least 50 years.

The EE-22 model was produced in a number of different sizes. If your friend is fortunate enough to locate an EE-22 with a decent bowl, he should check the cast fraction on the bowl which denotes internal venturii size. From memory, there are 5 different sizes. The size needs to match.

There are modern carbs that may be adapted. One such is the Stromberg WWC used by GMC on their large V-6 trucks in the 1960's.

Sorry for the less than desirable information; please don't shoot the messenger.

Jon.

Thanks carbking for the information. No shooting messengers!!! He found one other carb that should work but I dont think he knew about the different sizes so he will check. I think the cost on that other carb he found was $1500 but it needed to be rebuilt and they couldnt say if it was cracked or not. He might just have to bite the bullet. Thanks for the information on the WWC... if he cant find the right carb maybe we will try that. 

Is the EE-22 easy to tune? He said he took it off to clean it because the car would not idel very smooth. It drove fine but it had a rough idle that he thought was wrong for a V12 Lincoln. Kind of stumbly and the exhaust sounded ruff. It ran better with the choke pulled out a little but then the idle was too high. I think it was something different than dirt in the carb but what can we do now...?

Thank you for the tips!!!!

The EE-22 is quite easy to adjust; however, a compression test, and a good ignition tune-up should be a precursor to playing with the carburetor.

Assuming he has done BOTH of the above, and BOTH pass muster; then set the idle mixture control screws at an initial setting of 1 turn from lightly seated; then adjust the curb idle with the idle positioner screw. Actual adjusting range on the idle mixture control screws is 1/2 turn to 1 1/2 turns; but if the engine is healthy and the ignition is functioning correctly,1 turn should be very close.

I would not consider the $1500. to be at all excessive (maybe cheap) IF the bowl is good. LOTS of EE-22's are available with bad bowls for a lot less. The bowl is the critical part.

Jon.

By the time you end up getting something to work, with all the adaptors, linkage, fuel supply, and other issues before you even address running and tuning the car, a correct carburator is your best value. At least you will be able to tune it correctly, and the car will still be correct. Every time I look at a car with an incorrect carb for sale I almost always pass.........because you know a thousand other short cuts were made on the car, and most of the other repairs and restoration was done half a****.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Thank you for the advice gentlemen. I had a look at the carb and Im sure he definitely dropped it but the cracks are only on the top where the air filter bolts on and one extends down into the body but it seems tight and maybe wont leak (maybe put some sealer on???) Theres also a chunk missing about the size of my small finger nail but that part should be hidden under the air cleaner. Linkages turn free. We didnt put it back on yet because we dont have gaskets but he ordered some from some supplier and hopefully we have them by this weekend. I tried turning the idle screws and they were waaayyy out..... alot more than one or two turns. Hopefully thats what the problem was not dirt or something inside. I like helping my friend Will but I told him he should call me before he starts the projects not after. LOL!!!

Thank you for all the help we really appreciate it!

• 8 months later...
On 10/22/2018 at 9:28 PM, billorn said:

Looking for a carburetor that will work in place of a Stromberg EE-22. ...can't find a replacement for any reasonable cost....

I'm curious. What's a good Stromberg EE-22 going for nowadays? I have a VERY nice one on top of a '36 Caddy 322 (advertised for sale on this forum)?