1963 OEM factory license plate frame

When I got my '63, it was still equipped with the factory license plate frame.  I'm wondering if any of you '63 owners might have one. It was not something that had any dealer name on it or anything refering to Buick.  It was a small diameter tube like frame that was just big enough to cover the edge of a license plate.  If anyone has one, could they post a picture of it.  

It's mentioned in the paragraph on the bottom of a 63 window sticker as one of " The following items. optional on some other models........" Ends the first line and starts the secnd line.

Here's a picture of my window sticker.  

471090443_1963Rivierawindowsticker0003.thumb.JPG.0853df48b5dff12a5d8d984215ffaa39.JPG

• Like 1
2 hours ago, epriv said:

I bought some from Ecklers Corvette. Not sure if this is what you're looking for.

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/license-plate-frame-custom.html

Nothing.

Let's see if I can describe it for every one.  Take a stainless tube about 3/16" in diameter.  Cut a lengthwise slit down it. The width of the slit would be the same as the thickness of the license plate.  Wrap the tube around the license plate with the slit covering the edge of the plate.  It will only cover the raw edge of the plate outside of the bead that's rolled around the edges of the plate.  It's solid, no seams.  To slide it over the plate, one end has the back half of the tube has been cut away.

You would get the same effect if you were to wrap a narrow door edge guards around a plate but there would be no seam where the two ends met.  There were no tabs for the license plate screws.  It simply slipped in place and covered the raw edge of the plate. No advertising, no handle. Pure aesthetics to clean up raw edges. About as simple as it can get.

2 hours ago, gungeey said:

That's a pretty loaded up car you have there but what happened to your license plate frame?

You don't seem like the kind of guy to throw stuff away

About six months after I acquired the car, some kid, trying to tune the radio he'd just installed in his car, rear ended me.  When I got a new plate for '83, I noticed it was missing.  Apparently it did not get reinstalled at the body shop. Lost or absconded with, I don't know.  I went back to the body shop but got nothing in the way satisfaction.

Some consolation at the time was that the kid that rear ended me only had liability insurance.  My car was repaired, his was totalled and probably crushed.  Hopefully he didn't get his new radio out of it either.  Not very nice of me to feel that way, but at the time I was furious. For me that's something pretty unusual.

27 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

That's a nice loaded car you have there Ed!

The guy from whom I purchased it used it as his vacation car. He used it to tow a huge Airstream.  He worked for an oil company and lived in Ponca City, OK. While there, he drove a Ford Falcon "for economy reasons."  The Riviera stayed in a garge on his ranch in Texas.  He checked off every box on the order form except the 425 engine and the rear window defroster; apparently he didn't think the defroster was necessary in Texas or useless because all he could see out the rear glass was the front of his Airstream. At the time I bought it from him, I really knew very little about the Riviera except I loved the way it looked.  I didn't know a 425 was available or I'd have asked him why he didn't get the bigger engine. You would think he'd want it if this car was his tow vehicle.  What is not on the window sticker that he picked up at the dealership are the carpet savers and handy mats - white, the purse hook, the vanity mirror on the passenger's sun visor, and factory rear air shocks.  When I got the car it was also equipped with electric trailer brakes, a full hitch receiver WELDED to the frame, a transmission cooler, a set of five guages in the ash tray enclosure, and a 3.91 rear end. He told me that he had to have a valve job at around 50,000 miles because towing the trailer with a Dynaflow caused the engine to lug at low rpm's so the 3.91 gear gave him the rpm's that he needed.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
48 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

It's great to know a cars history!  The white floor mats must look great.  They are very hard to come by.  

They were 20 years old when i got the car.  Discolored and splitting along the ribs.  I tried what I could to hang onto them but they were better at trapping stuff under them than keeping stuff off the carpeting.  Eventually they just had to go.  Hind sight says that I should have at least hung on to the handy mats. As my German mother used to tell me, "Too soon old, too late smart." Besides, white mats on black carpets just looks weid. They were very hard to keep clean too. So basically, I don't miss them.  I found a decent set of black carpet savers and handy mats in a car in a salvage yard.  I took them to an upholstery shop and had the shop owner see some matching carpet on them then add a heel pad to that.  So I have protective mats that just look like factory carpeting.  The mats are molded to fit the floor boards so when covered with carpeting, you can't see the edges and they butt up to the rocker and console.  You can't tell they're mats unless you look very closely.

One other thing I got with the car was about 5 or 6 pages of yellow legal pad that was a diary of everything that had been done to the car. No receipts but just as good. Too bad I wasn't as conscientious about keeping it up as the original owner was. But I do have receipts for what I've done. Together they are a complete history of the car.  The more I say about this car, the more I realize that I need to get working on it and get it street worthy again.  With over 190,000 miles on the original engine, transmission, ad everything else, that's going to be a big order. Along with the 64 and 65.  Mom's "Too soon old" is right on.

Ed, see the thread referred to by Arnulfo, I did some research and posted the info there. BTW, we have been thru this before regarding your license plate frame. I believe it surfaced in an old thread in which Chris Pollack was parting a `65 with the original rear license plate frame....remember??

Tom

When my 69 GTO was new, it had a white interior with black carpet and white factory floor mats. The white mats

on the black carpet were absolutely hideous looking, and as Ed stated they were dirty looking all the time. I soon tossed them for black

factory mats.....what an improvement!

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

They were 20 years old when i got the car.  Discolored and splitting along the ribs.  I tried what I could to hang onto them but they were better at trapping stuff under them than keeping stuff off the carpeting.  Eventually they just had to go.  Hind sight says that I should have at least hung on to the handy mats. As my German mother used to tell me, "Too soon old, too late smart." Besides, white mats on black carpets just looks weid. They were very hard to keep clean too. So basically, I don't miss them.  I found a decent set of black carpet savers and handy mats in a car in a salvage yard.  I took them to an upholstery shop and had the shop owner see some matching carpet on them then add a heel pad to that.  So I have protective mats that just look like factory carpeting.  The mats are molded to fit the floor boards so when covered with carpeting, you can't see the edges and they butt up to the rocker and console.  You can't tell they're mats unless you look very closely.

One other thing I got with the car was about 5 or 6 pages of yellow legal pad that was a diary of everything that had been done to the car. No receipts but just as good. Too bad I wasn't as conscientious about keeping it up as the original owner was. But I do have receipts for what I've done. Together they are a complete history of the car.  The more I say about this car, the more I realize that I need to get working on it and get it street worthy again.  With over 190,000 miles on the original engine, transmission, ad everything else, that's going to be a big order. Along with the 64 and 65.  Mom's "Too soon old" is right on.

Ed,

I remember researching the white mats for you and I was surprised to find they were available in the `63 cars only. I have never seen another with the white mats, hence my surprise. I think this was a carry-over from the `50`s cars. I love the black/white `50`s Cadillac interiors but in those cars the 2 tone theme is repeated on the steering wheel, etc so it works. I would think a `63 Riv which is black with a white interior (like yours) would look very sharp with the white mats....VERY unusual

Tom

They did stand out. One thing that was happening to them over time was that the Buick crest was outlined in back and that black rubber outline would flake off in pieces. Then it got to looking pretty grungy. I'm sure that when they were new, they were quite attractive.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
16 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Ed, see the thread referred to by Arnulfo, I did some research and posted the info there. BTW, we have been thru this before regarding your license plate frame. I believe it surfaced in an old thread in which Chris Pollack was parting a `65 with the original rear license plate frame....remember??

Tom

Tom, I posted these frames a couple years ago and they weren't the ones Ed was looking for.

Question for you … Are these possibly the frames that were available for the first generation Rivs?

IMG_3170.thumb.JPG.b90e600e2b6de0f6cc26884a91041658.JPG

I have a pair that are still in a parchment package, I was told they were NOS from '65? The one with the "handle" on it looks a bit different than the one on Dick's car, just wondering if what I have is correct?

There are more pictures of them on the following thread … Post #13 …

63 riv for sale

16 minutes ago, Rivman said:

Tom, I posted these frames a couple years ago and they weren't the ones Ed was looking for.

Question for you … Are these possibly the frames that were available for the first generation Rivs?

IMG_3170.thumb.JPG.b90e600e2b6de0f6cc26884a91041658.JPG

I have a pair that are still in a parchment package, I was told they were NOS from '65? The one with the "handle" on it looks a bit different than the one on Dick's car, just wondering if what I have is correct?

There are more pictures of them on the following thread … Post #13 …

63 riv for sale

Hi Randall,

These appear to be a little thinner than the originals but that may be due to the pic. Otherwise, these appear to be originals.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay guys, I'm conceding that the frame that came with my car is not the original.  I really appreciate all of the efforts that were made to help me realize this.  ? 

Thanks, 

Ed

I called Reid Carroll yesterday and asked him about the license plate frame on his '63.  He still owns the '63 that he bought new.  He told me that he never got one  when his car was delivered.   

On 10/25/2018 at 12:40 PM, RivNut said:

I called Reid Carroll yesterday and asked him about the license plate frame on his '63.  He still owns the '63 that he bought new.  He told me that he never got one  when his car was delivered.   

I thought you conceded? Lol...

Tom

12 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

I thought you conceded? Lol...

Tom

I did. In this case I was hoping that an original owner still had one and would share how it was delivered.

12 hours ago, RivNut said:

I did. In this case I was hoping that an original owner still had one and would share how it was delivered.

Lol...I was just kidding with you Ed....but, good question.

The license frame cannot be installed without a plate so if the factory provided the frame it would have to be loose somewhere in the car. I`m sure that would be in the trunk.

It`s possible the dealer was responsible for providing the plate. That would probably better explain why they dont appear as often as one would think in the field.

It`s been quite a few years but when I encountered a vendor at a Flint swap meet who was a former dealer employee and had a stack of the frames he indicated they were frames which were never installed. The suggestion was that the frames came with the cars but were never installed so he accumulated them. But who knows? Good question though...

Tom

• Like 1