10 years siting Model A what needs flushing and replaced?

jasenjohnston

Hi,

I just trailer ed over my deceased grandpas Model A ford to my garage.  I want to get running again which it did 10 years ago but has been sitting since then.  I wondered what type of oil goes best with that car? and what all I should drain, clean, before starting up?

Thank you,

Jasen

Drain the old oil .It might be the time to at least drop the pan and check for sludge and condition of the bearings. Check all other lubes while you are at it. Drain and flush out the radiator, gas tank and sediment bowl if not visible. Any good 10-40 oil will do a good job. You may need to burnish the points to get good contact if they have any corrosion or film .

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

Clean the gas tank! I know they are located in the cowl area but get it totally cleaned out, hope you have an air compressor handy -  that can help if you add a long thin tube to to put down the filler neck area. AT a fairly high pressure it may dislodge some junk in there that would eventually clog up your carburetor.

The first thing I would do is to drain the gas tank and see what you get out of it. Model A gas tanks are notorious for rust. Because it's a gravity feed to the carb, all the crud will ether clog what filter you are using or enter the carb if you don't have one. Hopefully you get clear gas from the tank but don't count on it. Always use some sort of filter in the line. At this point 30 weight oil should suffice and of course anti freeze should be changed. Sometimes when cars sit for long periods the valves may stick. It wouldn't hurt to squirt penetrating oil thru the spark plug holes and crank the motor over by hand. If you do have a stuck valve you might have to remove the head. I just started a Model A motor after a 36 year nap and had one stuck valve and I removed about a gallon container of what I can only describe as gas soaked coffee grounds from the fuel tank. Check the trans and rear lube and of course the brakes. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

• Like 1

simple rule of thumb, if it contained liquid, drain, flush and refresh.  While your at it, have a close look at the brakes, make sure all you linkages don't have too much play.  would also look at replacing the tyres (rubber doesn't age well and tyres are a safety item).  Then look at any other rubber bits

All good advice!

when you get the tank empty I would seriously consider changing the fuel gage gaskets as they drip gas behind the ignition switch if not properly sealed. Also the parts vendors sell a small tube of filtering screen that you install into the fuel shutoff which goes up into your tank, this will keep any residual debris on the bottom of the tank from getting into your fuel line. It helped me with an A which had set for much longer. 

Good of luck and please let us know how you make out.