Importing an Antique car from Canada

nHello

Does anyone have any experience with importing an antique car from Canada?  I have read a few articles and it does not seem too complicated.  Anyone here have first hand experience?

Car is a 1968.  I live in Nazareth PA and the car is in Toronto.  Planned on going through Buffalo. or not? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Rockingchairmotors
typo (see edit history)

I bought a Canadian made 1957 Ford in Ontario with Canadian title.

My State, NC wanted to inspect its serial number and run it through the 

theft log via serial # before they would transfer the title.

Ask your PA tag &title office what they need, all states set their own rules..

17 minutes ago, Dave Fields said:

A friend bought two Cord bodied Hupmobiles or Grahams in Quebec. Paid for them and never got them.  I drove a Jeep with a Datsun body across from Ontario once.  They asked for nothing. As it was a snow blow, never attempted to register it.

Be very carful in Quebec. That is our Nigeria.

• Haha 1

I recently sold my 70 deVille convertible to a chap in DC (I'm in Canada).  A broker will be your friend and make things so much easier.

You'll need to complete an EPA and DOT form.  The broker will also create an entry for the car in the US.  This will get stamped when you cross the border which triggers another form that the broker sends to CBP to be stamped that you will need to register the car.  You'll get this form in the mail from your broker.

In all, actually quite easy as long as your paperwork is in order.  You can't just buy it, and drive it home without a bill of sale and ownership documents, otherwise, you'll never be able to get plates for it.

Edited by danleblanc (see edit history)

Rocking chair motors - 

I have first hand experience. I just bought an antique 1919 Kissel 7-passenger touring in Ontario, Canada a few months ago and brought it thru customs back home to Michigan, USA.

If the car you are buying is USA made and is over 40 (?) years old, there is no problem. My Kissel was originally made in Wisconsin. I don’t recall if the age point is 25 or 40 years but you can look that up on the web. Here’s what I did;

1. Look up us custom rules on the web and read them for cars. Very helpful.

2. Make sure you have proof of purchasing the car when you reach the border/customs. I had a signed over Canadian title and a handwritten receipt.

3. If your car is older than the age in the form, you are exempt from all epa stuff.

4. The us customs agent will fill out the simple form with you once you get there.then they will release you and lol at the car.

it took me 10 minutes to have customs fill out the form and get ready to pass thru. The only delay I had was 30-45 minutes worth of time while the customs guys each “inspected” the car and trailer - really they all just wanted to look at the thing because they are mostly car guys and getting an antique car to look at breaks up their boredom.

absolutely no problem Canada to USA.

ron 

E4B0F3D3-A928-4510-A4B9-00DC03207791.jpeg

• Like 1

As Ron says above it's very simple if the car is US made. Best to make sure the VIN or other serial # is clearly visible, I brought back a 1915 Milburn Electric and the officers were more interested in looking at the car than they were in paperwork. Whole process took less than half an hour. I still remember a very cute Customs Officer carrying a gun that was about half as long she was tall. 

• Haha 1

The car is a 1967 Mercedes.  I don't know if that is going to be a problem?  

Not sure if it is a US delivery car or ROW (rest of world)

Also seller is looking for the VIN plate.  Not sure if it is with the car.  I know the VIN is stamped on the front frame.  

@danleblanc Do you have the name and number of the broker you used?  

Does anyone else have the name and number of a broker/importer?  In the Buffalo area that can handle this?

Thanks again for the help.

Jeff

Before you do anything at all, make SURE the VIN plate is secured properly with the correct fasteners,( ie. rivets, screws, welds)

If not, make lots of calls, get verification in writing, maybe a lawyer, or just buy a car with a clean VIN tag.

A vehicle over 25 years old in Canada is considered an "antique" and importing a vehicle from anywhere of that vintage is considered the same . There is no problem importing  vehicles  into the U.S. There are certain precautions one must observe to protect oneself from losing money.

1' Make sure the title is genuine. Ask for photo copies which must match the information on the ownership and the vehicle.

2' Foreign vehicles (from Europe)  can be problematic unless it was made for the Canadian Market.

3' I would like to meet the seller in person.  If not you are gambling the lottery.

4' Vehicles made in the U.S and exported to Canada face no problem.

5 'Immigrants from Europe  and some foreign countries who bring their cars with them, sometimes do not meet the U.S. and Canadian standards and cannot pass entry for registration (bumper and headlight height and light illumination power among some issues.

6' Make sure the vehicle was registered to operate on public roads (not farm or off road) unless you do not intend to licence it.

7' It is a good idea to check with the licencing authorities there are no liens, or the banks will be coming for it. 

Brining cars from The U.S is different. The seller must have genuine ownership, all relevant material  matching and a recent document stating there is no lien . The sales receipt and the importation custom document should be submitted at the crossing in advance to facilitate no delays The officer will have the documents in hand when you arrive at customs.

And please remember "Titles" are not used in Canada. We have registration documents that serve a similar purpose to titles however are altogether different in several ways. Old car hobby people will generally get your meaning if you ask for a "title" however many ordinary Canadians will not.  Remember the classic line " licence and registration Mam"  , all Canadian drivers know what a registration is.  A title is something we usually only encounter when buying or selling real estate.

Just a pet peeve of mine, Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

In Ontario the seller should have a sellers package. It shows the past owners and if there are any owing on the car so ask to see the sellers package. Again be very carful when buying in Quebec as there are many horror story's from there. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

I imported a 64 Pontiac from Ontario last year.  It took me 4 months to get it titled in Texas.  If someone would give me a car in  Canada I wouldn't take it.  My file of paper work on the transaction is a half inch thick.  Other stated may be easier but not Texas.  

To 1912 Staver, My apologies. I often hear old car guys mention "Title" .You see I am 83 1/2 years old.

About 10 years ago I bought a 1963 Land Rover 88 Station from The Peterborough area. I spent  about 18000 dollars to rebuild from ground up. You name it, I either replaced new or rebuild it. I could not register it to use on public roads because this particular truck was registered for farm use  only. I had to get a letter from The manufacturer stating that this vehicle was also intended for public road use. Trying to get such document is like wanting meet my grandfather in the flesh.  Solution; I bought a registration for a newer Rover. So please, be careful. Ask to see "registration" first and sellers "package"

That does sound like an unfortunate situation.  Like the U.S. state to state motor vehicle law variations, Canada has many province to province variations as well. For example in British Columbia I have not heard of a farm use only registration.  Probably an Ontario only thing. Some of the farmers in my area have licence plates on their tractors so they can legally drive on public roads. Sometimes they lease or own land that is separate from their main plot and need to drive equipment between properties. However if you are only going to use farm equipment on your farm and not travel on public roads then there is no need to have any registration or licence plates.

If you are a actual farmer: rather than a hobby farmer like I am, you can get Agricultural licence plates and insurance. They look like regular plates but start with a different prefix. You pay one fee ;the most expensive , usually your heaviest machine , and can have as many licence plates as you have pieces of equipment. If you buy a pick up truck off a farmer that used "Ag" plates on it there is no problem changing it back to normal plates.

As well in British Columbia we have no such thing as a "sellers package", once again probably something you might only find when dealing with a Ontario seller. You can pay a small fee and have a "lien search" done but it is not mandatory .

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

The law in Ontario was changed by the N.D.P government of Ontario(Bob Ray). Too many people were selling vehicles without proper documents and buyer lost money. So Ray stepped in. All owners must have properly registered document, that includes the "package" $20 dollars which includes the name of all owners (previous if any) accidents report and lien before changing ownership. Even to your mother. That package must be bought. Off road vehicle registration plate cost $7 dollars but if driving on public road, one wheel must be on the gravel curb.   At that same time the M.T. O was privatised. An 8 hours visit for service was reduced to1/2 an hour . I think we are going off on a tangent here but if it helps buyers in anyway, it is worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
On October 24, 2018 at 2:02 PM, Joe in Canada said:

In Ontario the seller should have a sellers package. It shows the past owners and if there are any owing on the car so ask to see the sellers package. Again be very carful when buying in Quebec as there are many horror story's from there. 

Please elaborate !  I lived in Quebec for 25 years and got to know some of the finest collectors and upright citizens  there that I have ever met in the hobby. 

8 hours ago, Barry Brown said:

Please elaborate !  I lived in Quebec for 25 years and got to know some of the finest collectors and upright citizens  there that I have ever met in the hobby. 

You are correct with Quebec having many many great hobbyist that are wonderful people to deal with. But Quebec  does not have the same strict rules as Ontario does for selling a car with a title search done . So you have to be carful as the scammers out there know this and take advantage of it.  Quebec is not in the system  with the rest of Canada to search a title if there is money owing on a car. If anyone in North America  phones the Quebec  DOT to have a title checked out you are out of luck unless you can speak French. The scammers know this and use it to their advantage.

My last dealing with a fellow in Quebec was for an enclosed Wells Cargo trailer.  The ownership was not in the name he told me it was and I just looked for a signature on the back. (My error for not checking closer)But so far it has not bit me in the back side thankfully. In Ontario the trailer has to be inspected every year and it had a current new sticker on it.  By the time I got home I was on two wheels having to take the front ones off because of rusted shoes from sitting so long. But somehow he was able to get a DOT sticker on it saying it was fit for the road. I know 3 car dealers in my area and buying a car in Quebec is a no no.

But I say again Quebec has a very large car club with I believe 1,200 members that I have met and will be going on tour with this summer coming. But it is the scammers that take advantage of the system not the true hobbyist.

Do not mean to offend as we have scammers here also and they are just as nasty but not as many.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Interesting.Thanks for the explanation and as you say there are crooks everywhere ! I don't think I would be apprehensive purchasing a collector car from a  Montreal Quebec dealer such as John Scotti

but I see your point about the worry concerning possible  liens. I think a statement from a Quebec notary would be prudent for any purchase. When I lived in Quebec I always had the Provincial Police ( Surete) search registrations and/or serial numbers.They were always courteous and happy to do so. As with buying a collector vehicle anywhere first hand inspection and due diligence are paramount.

Trailer and modern car dealers are a different kettle of rotten fish.

• Like 1