cevensky

1948 Pontiac Streamliner 8

Thanks! Weather was good enough to spray after unloading it. Covers were painted with the VHT aluminum finish I’ve used on a few pieces because I couldn’t find my hirsch paint. For now I’ll keep them like that because I like the look but it’s an easy change in the future. I’m saving that expensive paint on some pieces and going with gloss black. Like I said, I like a certain look. I welcome and appreciate the input on correctness though, obviously I’m going for correct. About to buy some original beauty rings off a hot rodder. 

Edited by cevensky (see edit history)

Is that a new hood latch plate? Where did you buy it ( if it's new). Or is it off of a another GM.

Engine looks great

Thanks for noticing, Jeff. It’s actually the original one, I just wore wheeled it and used the aforementioned flameproof VHT aluminum finish- the flameproof paints impress me and that color is really nice.

I got held up today but got a couple bolts holding the trans and engine together along with 7/30 torus to flywheel screws. Weather is crummy. May finish pre-install tasks tomorrow, may not. 

The weather has been miserable. My concrete floor is slick with water and a small bit of oil from my ‘42 Ford. I can’t lay on it and the constant drizzle of rain is gross. These would be the days I don’t have piles of school work...

but, I’ve got 27/30 torus to flywheel bolts in (some are shorter than others, hopefully the longer ones are correct, I don’t know where else 20 of these bolts would’ve come from. Shorties will get changed) and I bought new plugs today, worked on new cloth covered wiring inside. Here’s what it looks like right now, thankfully that paint got on there fast. Still have bits of flash rust with the 90%+ humidity. 

0C87B5CA-A5C0-4EA8-B764-264CD775BD98.jpeg

• Like 4

Today I’ll try to get the drivetrain bolted in. All 6 of those bolts. I’m about four inches forward from where the engine needs to be. I’ll have to get a come along or ratchet strap on the rear mount and ratchet it back to the frame. I’ve tried everything else. It’s heavy. My cleaned up driveshaft is in. I also got a set of beauty rings 😎 and I put in the new master cylinder while I had the real estate. 

59B93BF5-4500-443E-AC28-AA9D1E1E7C59.jpeg

DF507D54-AF14-4075-A04A-D8228438F2A1.jpeg

DEC490FF-A753-4191-A289-4C97C20AA52C.jpeg

• Like 4

Alright. Bolted in, drive shaft connected, oil in engine, plugs in, manifolds and carb on, starter on, gas pump (of unknown condition) is on, and maybe some other things. Tomorrow I’ll get the distributor on and hot wire a coil, run some flex tube to a gas can, and see what happens. 
Does anyone have a diagram showing the shifter/throttle/starter linkage? I took pictures but the complexity has rendered them totally inadequate. 

FF934837-5D74-4018-AA24-29DCBC4DD0D2.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice progress!  Maybe someone with a shop manual can confirm there’s info on that, or better yet copy and post.  

Here’s a site that has a repro (I don’t know anything about them, though):  https://www.themotorbookstore.com/1941-1948-pontiac-shop-manual.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=1941-1948-pontiac-shop-manual&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyKrxBRDHARIsAKCzn8wgGrQHHrOqE7XicWojJkJI6Tea-4uYRVTOJmjskG4iXL56KwoD3LIaAhmVEALw_wcB

That manual is actually available free online in a PDF! It’s got wiring diagrams and all that... from pictures of other engines online I got the pump hooked up after I got a brand new one today. I put the pump on and it fired right up- sounded great too. I think I might’ve flooded it trying after, but it did run a bit!

Tomorrow I’ll work on getting driver‘s side brakes done, installing the fan and radiator, and getting the key wired up so I can kill it. I also need to get a better deal between exhaust pipe and manifold, if anyone has any tips.  

WOW! nice job on the engine and compartment. I'm sure you'll do as fine a job on the brake system. Did you install a new fuel tank and steel line?

What I’m able to find online is plenty.
Rusty- Thanks. Nobody makes exact fuel tank reproductions anymore, they’re universal and require modification. I can’t even get into the trunk right now, so I’m running off a little red gas can. 
Today I installed one new brake line, did some wiring so I can kill it with the key, and put a different gasket on the exhaust pipe to manifold. Looks like manifold is still leaking somehow... I may have to undo and retorque the whole thing. 
The engine was definitely flooded. I need to adjust the two mixture screws on the carb (see attached pic, flooded tube goes to the middle cylinders). For now I’m leaving it off for the night with paper towel to help the gas evaporate out. The first start with the gas pump was the best. I think it flooded shortly thereafter which is why it’s been so hard to start. 
Battery is charging, I’ll try again tomorrow. 

A082ED2D-36DC-4F32-8377-9C86DB161142.jpeg

3003BEDB-CB6D-4D25-8599-E03740DDDC8E.jpeg

Hi, there is a option if you find a Volvo PV 444,Duett 445 cluster, they are also 6 volt. On my pictures you will se that they a quite simmilar.

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2646.JPG

IMG_2647.JPG

cevensky, You made great progress on the Pontiac. Very nice work. John

• Thanks 1