Sign in to follow this  
30DodgePanel

New eBay issue - Advice on fraudulent activity

18 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I also don't let ebay reship items for me via there global shipping program.  I don't need someone else repackaging or touching the actual merchandise in any way,  only the shipping companies handling my packages which are properly packaged.  

Please feel free to share here or PM me if you have better ways of shipping certain items globally

BTW, the main reason I like the GSP is for the simplicity as a seller since I only due this part time. First experience of someone never receiving the item in 18 years. Usually, I see an email from ebay giving me the assurance that everything is fine, like this example I received today for a NOS piston inserting tool that went to Germany if I recall:

"Dear David,
We are writing to confirm that your purchase through the Global Shipping Program has been successfully delivered by the carrier. This is a courtesy email only, and no further action is needed."

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Maybe I read through everything too quickly but I'm wondering how you know for sure your carb is in Michigan?  I've heard that people "steal" ebay photos and listings all the time.  About a year ago i had watched as nice piece of automobilia sell for a handsome price - and a few weeks later the same listing re-appeared.  I had saved he image on the original listing and when I compared it with the new listing, it was a total match, including background!  The "new" listing had a tempting buy-it-now price but recognizing a fraud, I reported it to ebay.  I actually got a fast response - although it was a listing supposedly in New York (the original item was sold from Florida to an unknown buyer), I learned from the ebay response the paypal account was someone in China!  So-where the item is listed actually has no bearing on this.  Someone may have just stolen your listing!

Terry

30 dodge,

my paypal acct is tied to a credit card. every month I can go over the charges and if there is a problem, call the credit card co. I am guessing you are paying Paypal straight from your bank acct.

you may want to rethink that. I encountered a problem years ago, with paypal going back into my bank acct and taking money out, wo my consent. I got on the phone and told them they were not the IRS and had no right to do what they did.

needless to say- I closed that acct and never gave them the upper hand again. They are not entitled to dip into your acct wo your permission.

4 hours ago, mercer09 said:

30 dodge,

I am guessing you are paying Paypal straight from your bank acct.

No not at all. I've only sold on ebay to create a positive balance and have been using the funds strictly from sold merchandise to fund the account. No deposits or withdrawals, I just use it to pay for things I like without having to dip into any of our accounts. Wife would skin me alive if I tied our personal account to paypal lol..

I get why folks prefer to use a credit card but it's just a personal decision I've made to keep our accounts separate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Maybe I read through everything too quickly but I'm wondering how you know for sure your carb is in Michigan?  

Read post # 7 by 60flat top. If you follow that link it takes you to the website and they advertise  they are out of Cass MI. 11-24 employees so it's a staffed warehouse that the two owners are running these items through. It may be completely legit as mentioned earlier via USPS auctioning off items and he may have just been lazy but you're correct in your warning.... anything is a possibility at this point until we find out more or if eBay or postal inspectors verify it's legitimacy.  

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll make sure I post the findings once I know for sure what happened. Sorry to all for jumping to conclusions initially but the knee jerk reaction is something I'm sure you can all understand and relate to considering the circumstances. It may be completely legit, but it may also be completely nefarious. Either way, I will post results when I know something more. 

Again, thanks for everyone's input.

Regards,
Dave

I use the USPS and just fill out the customs forms.  It's not really a big deal.  I have had customers say they won't buy from me if I use the GSP.  I like as much control over everything as possible.  Ebay has enough control over my business.  I've shipped carb kits,  but can't recall anything other than a pair of oil filled shocks that contained anything that would present a problem with importing.   I imagine if you want to get picky, many things technically can't be shipped if you really want to break things down to their core parts.  I have never had a problem with anything I have shipped being returned.  I even built a wood crate for a bumper and shipped it to Hungary with no problem. 

For funds,  since it is my only source of income,  I have to have a bank account tied to it to withdraw funds to pay my bills.  Not much choice there.  It use to be a separate account,  I set up for only ebay,   but it became my main account as the other ones didn't have any deposits going in them and now they charge you to have bank accounts.  

• Like 1

now they charge you to have bank accounts.  

Many now are not charging, since the fed has been raising rates.

M and T comes to mind in your neck of the woods. another is chase. they have served me well.

and once again- this is for everyone- use a designated credit card and not cash and you will protect yourselves from evil bay!

Edited by mercer09 (see edit history)

If you sell you have to use pay pal and selling with any frequency will leave a balance they can seize.  It's all part of pay to play. You want to sell,  you follow their rules.   Buying,  ebay will side with the buyer almost instantly every time so you don't have anything to worry about as a buyer. Claim it's not as described,  send it back and get a full refund.  No questions asked. 

• Like 1

if you sell you have to use pay pal and selling with any frequency will leave a balance they can seize.

just curious Auburn, is there not a way to have a continuous draw down? As in everything over 100. goes directly into your bank acct?

With pay pal,  I always have to manually transfer funds.  They would also just go seize the funds out of your bank account or just snag them with the next payment you get.   If you sell with any frequency I don't think there is any way you can stop pay pal from having final say. Pretty much everyone uses it now.  I don't think I have gotten a physical payment in almost a year for an item that needed to be shipped and only 1 or 2 people that actually paid in person.  

I have done the same Joe- with exception of selling cars.

Ive sold 4 cars on ebay in the last month. 2 people actually paid!

yep, that is a pretty good percentage. LOL

• Like 1

Ebay can be a pain but once you figure out how to navigate it,  Carefully read the descriptions, ask questions first, can be a great resource for stuff not available elsewhere.  Especially when dealing with old cars.  As much as I enjoy Hershey and bought 355 pieces of literature while I was there,  I also bought the same amount or more off ebay when I was in my Hotel room before and after the show.  I have also found alot of parts I was never able to buy at Hershey and often at prices I would have never gotten if I could have found them, plus it's open 365 days a year and not contained to 4 days weather permitting from 8 or 10 AM to 3 or so in the afternoon when everyone starts packing it in. 

• Like 1