New eBay issue - Advice on fraudulent activity

30DodgePanel

The situation:
I sold a Zenith updraft carb on Aug 7th via the GSP to someone with a name that I believe was from Finland so I assumed it was going to that part of the world. After about a month or so I received a message from eBay that the order was prohibited and buyer was refunded fully. However, I never received any other notification and never received my carb back. Now, guess what I found today ? 

Someone in MI is selling the exact same carburetor using my old photo. Obviously I have reported all the information to a incompetent eBay rep from India but  I know she wasn't paying attention as you can all imagine... anyway she has the buyers name and old item # that I sold it to and the seller who's selling on eBay currently and supposedly going to report it to the investigative team that handles this. We shall see...

I also printed off a copy of the old invoice and also the auction pages of both auctions (mine and the current seller) and will be reporting this to the postal inspector in hopes of prosecuting if there is an inside employee who takes ebay stock and resells it. Lost mail that never arrived anyone ??? Anyone else ever have an issue with this seller ?

What more can I do ? Please give me some things to think about  that I may be missing because I really want to catch these sob's and see that they are punished. 
If it is a legit thing then that will be found out and hopefully I'll receive my carb back at least but from all appearances something fraudulent is happening. I'm tempted to buy something from the seller just to have the contact info so I can give it to the postal inspector but I'm afraid it  will send the seller a red flag and they'll try to hide the info somehow.

Seller is in MI  but the carb was stopped in Kentucky. How did the carb get from Kentucky to MI ? 
Current active eBay auction with my old carb. 

This photo was taken from my old auction that I as the seller can only see. I can't show the old link because I post a link to the old auction it won't show up since they changed everything on eBay recently to where the old auction is never saved, you'll only see something similar but completely different auction.
s-l1600.jpg
Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Wonder what that means ? Did ebay pull it ? How can I tell ? And where the heck did your post go John ? LOL

So eBay knows you did not get your carb back but they refunded the buyers money?

This sounds incredible. I'm certain eBay has some resposibilty to correct this.

Just now, keiser31 said:

Ebay must have pulled it. Maybe they were actually listening this time.

Would be nice if they let me know how they were going to proceed...

With a seller who has over 17000 items for sale (more than a hobbyist...it's a small enterprise) these things should be taken seriously especially if this activity is proven fraudulent. How many others is this happening to ? 

either ebay owes you a refund through their "guaranteed protection" or paypal does.

if neither of them helps you, call your credit card co that was charged and file a dispute. My credit card co, Chase, always protects me in these instances, even if ebay or paypal doesnt listen.

somebody will make good.

• Like 1

Seller is in MI  but the carb was stopped in Kentucky. How did the carb get from Kentucky to MI ? 

If you are calm and polite give ebay a call and ask what happened.
Here is my guess (I have heard this before)
Some European country consider any parts that have had contact with gas or oil as "hazardous items", so if the customs forms say carburetor, fuel pump, fuel line, gas tank, oil pump, oil pan ... customs seize the items and the buyer does not get it.
Then customs sells the "hazardous items" in lots in auctions to high bidder.
In your case the high bidder was in Michigan.
I am sorry this happened to you, please check with ebay, pretty sure I am correct, I have heard this before.
To avoid this problem only sell in USA, no foreign sales.

• Like 3

Did something like this happen about a year ago ?  Some guy got the parts from the United States Postal Service because it was not delivered . Then there was an exchange here on the AACA Forum about who's part it was . Some how the the fellow was getting undelivered parts . I know this is eBay this time .

14 minutes ago, 1950panhead said:

If you are calm and polite give ebay a call and ask what happened.
Here is my guess (I have heard this before)
Some European country consider any parts that have had contact with gas or oil as "hazardous items", so if the customs forms say carburetor, fuel pump, fuel line, gas tank, oil pump, oil pan ... customs seize the items and the buyer does not get it.
Then customs sells the "hazardous items" in lots in auctions to high bidder.
In your case the high bidder was in Michigan.
I am sorry this happened to you, please check with ebay, pretty sure I am correct, I have heard this before.
To avoid this problem only sell in USA, no foreign sales.

I realize now that selling fuel parts only state side is the way to go.. lesson learned for sure but to see that the USPS is either letting employees take the merchandise or auctioning it off without any notification to the seller is a different kind of kick in the nads.

I imagine you are spot on and waiting to see what will happen with this and I realize they aren't getting rich off of me but if they do this x 17000 where do I sign up ? I'm in the wrong line of work...

I realize now that selling fuel parts only state side is the way to go.. lesson learned for sure but to see that the USPS is either letting employees take the merchandise or auctioning it off without any notification to the seller is a different kind of kick in the nads.

Ebay ,UPS, FedEx do not know the foreign laws, to many country, to many laws, the citizens don't know the laws either.

You are taking risk selling any car parts to Europe, any engine, tranny, axle have had contact with gas or oil, any chassis part may have had contact with salt or other hazardous substance, any interior part may have mold, also hazardous.

I won't sell anything to Europe,  perhaps you should do the same.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 1950panhead said:

Ebay ,UPS, FedEx do not know the foreign laws, to many country, to many laws, the citizens don't know the laws either.

You are taking risk selling any car parts to Europe, any engine, tranny, axle have had contact with gas or oil, any chassis part may have had contact with salt or other hazardous substance, any interior part may have mold, also hazardous.

I won't sell anything to Europe,  perhaps you should do the same.

You are missing the boat, if you are not selling internationally, including Europe.  I sell a small percentage of items to Europe and other countries,  but the buyers are very happy to deal with sellers that are willing to export and often are the second highest bidder on the items,  probably only held back by the extra cost of shipping.  It takes 2 to have an auction,  or one to get a really good deal on something.  I have had a problem with a couple of international bidders,  but then a higher percentage of problems with domestic bidders. 

I also don't let ebay reship items for me via there global shipping program.  I don't need someone else repackaging or touching the actual merchandise in any way,  only the shipping companies handling my packages which are properly packaged.  I also don't see how someone would see the value in a Zenith Carburetor unless they were really into cars.  An I phone or TV or Jewelry,  that would make alot more sense.  I would go with the photo having been stolen more than anything. 

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

Is it possible that the seller in Michigan was just lazy and stole only your photo?

While it is certainly possible that there was a problem with the international shipping as some have indicated, that does not explain the seller using your original photo. Perhaps Bloo is correct about the photo. I suspect the seller looked at your auction and then chose the "sell similar item" link to start his ebay ad. I doubt with the number of items that seller has sold, that he is a fraudulent seller. I have not sold anything on ebay in a while but they are certainly not as seller friendly as they once were. I would keep complaining to ebay until they make it right. I would also keep checking the shipper's tracking system. I once had an item that somehow had a sticker come off of another priority mail piece and get stuck to my package in the mail system. It was delivered to an address many states away. I complained to the postal service and they investigated, went to where the tracking history showed that it was delivered, retrieved it, and then delivered it to where it was addressed a week or so later. 

14 hours ago, Hupp36 said:

I  am  done with  Ebay, I  have  paid  for  tooo many  item's i  have  not  received.

You have nothing to lose as a buyer.  Open a case and instant refund.  It's the sellers that get the shaft.  At any sign of trouble,  ebay give the buyer back their money and the seller is left holding the bag. 

I fortunately have a pretty large regular customer base that buy alot of items per order and I bend over back wards and sometimes get walked all over by the,  but they keep coming back and always pay. 

On the case above.  That person has been selling for 2 years has almost 30,000 feedback and 17,000 items for sale.  It's some type of a company selling stuff and not an individual.  I sell 30 items a night (all very similar so they are easy to ship) and spend 4 hours a day with photos listings and shipping minimum,  not accounting for actually buying sorting etc.  I am at 20,000 feedback after 10 years, with a little over 200 items at auction all the time.  There is no way someone could operate this volume without a big staff of employees.  Especially when I looked at feedback (the negatives). One was an engine!!  Few of the photos were of the actual items and almost all had different back grounds.  I think it's just as mentioned,  they gleaned your photo, maybe even from a google image search. There is even the option to use an image from the web when you list. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, John348 said:

If a seller uses the GSP, then all the seller is responsible for is the package ONLY arriving to Erlanger KY correct?

That is correct. All items are packaged very good I might add with plenty of bubble wrap to avoid breakage...

16 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I also don't let ebay reship items for me via there global shipping program.  I don't need someone else repackaging or touching the actual merchandise in any way,  only the shipping companies handling my packages which are properly packaged.  I also don't see how someone would see the value in a Zenith Carburetor unless they were really into cars.  An I phone or TV or Jewelry,  that would make alot more sense.  I would go with the photo having been stolen more than anything. 

I have only used the GSP for simplicity reasons. It seems this is the best and most convenient way for the seller but I agree with you that I don't like the thought of someone else handling it. If there's a better way to ship internationally I'm ears... I've had nothing but problems trying it other ways. In my four years of using the GSP this is my first incident. According to the buyer who I reached out to that was suppose to receive this carb originally this is his first issue with the GSP too so it's been a positive experience for the most part until I came across this issue.

I have been trying to liquidate my fathers antique toy collection and ebay seems to be the place and I have to admit at least with that type of item 60-70% of my sales have been international using the GPS I never had a problem yet, but I don't sell in the summer months so we will see I have some items up now...

I can imagine how you feel about this... even more so the buyer must feel even worse

7 minutes ago, John348 said:

I have been trying to liquidate my fathers antique toy collection and ebay seems to be the place and I have to admit at least with that type of item 60-70% of my sales have been international using the GPS I never had a problem yet, but I don't sell in the summer months so we will see I have some items up now...

I can imagine how you feel about this... even more so the buyer must feel even worse

Agreed, he was hopeful to have found a hard to find part for his project then this happens. But at least he got his money back.

I realize now I can avoid that by shipping other "hazardous" items like used carbs outside the states under a different label but I'm waiting for Auburnseekers input,,, I think he may have a solid approach to this. I just want to be able to make it as simple as possible since I don't do this fulltime.

1 minute ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Agreed, he was hopeful to have found a hard to find part for his project then this happens. But at least he got his money back.

I realize now I can avoid that by shipping other "hazardous" items like used carbs outside the states under a different label but I'm waiting for Auburnseekers input,,, I think he may have a solid approach to this. I just want to be able to make it as simple as possible since I don't do this fulltime.

I agree, it is just a shame when someone finds that part after searching and it is gone like that. Thanks for posting this thread it was an eye opener. The new seller of the carburetor has such a mish mosh of items it just dose not make any sense 

19 hours ago, mercer09 said:

either ebay owes you a refund through their "guaranteed protection" or paypal does.

if neither of them helps you, call your credit card co that was charged and file a dispute. My credit card co, Chase, always protects me in these instances, even if ebay or paypal doesnt listen.

somebody will make good.

Haven't heard anything yet.. 

I only buy and sell parts on there as a hobby via paypal and don't ever withdraw funds. I do not ever use my credit cards or personal accounts for anything because I keep my household separate. 

I have read the restrictions in the ebay policy so no recourse, I should have known better but still hoping to find a way around it to ship parts to guys that need them around the globe. For me, I've tracked the global shipping to be approximately 25-30% of my sales so I don't want to lose out on that.

18 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I also don't let ebay reship items for me via there global shipping program.  I don't need someone else repackaging or touching the actual merchandise in any way,  only the shipping companies handling my packages which are properly packaged.  

Please feel free to share here or PM me if you have better ways of shipping certain items globally

BTW, the main reason I like the GSP is for the simplicity as a seller since I only due this part time. First experience of someone never receiving the item in 18 years. Usually, I see an email from ebay giving me the assurance that everything is fine, like this example I received today for a NOS piston inserting tool that went to Germany if I recall:

"Dear David,
We are writing to confirm that your purchase through the Global Shipping Program has been successfully delivered by the carrier. This is a courtesy email only, and no further action is needed."

Maybe I read through everything too quickly but I'm wondering how you know for sure your carb is in Michigan?  I've heard that people "steal" ebay photos and listings all the time.  About a year ago i had watched as nice piece of automobilia sell for a handsome price - and a few weeks later the same listing re-appeared.  I had saved he image on the original listing and when I compared it with the new listing, it was a total match, including background!  The "new" listing had a tempting buy-it-now price but recognizing a fraud, I reported it to ebay.  I actually got a fast response - although it was a listing supposedly in New York (the original item was sold from Florida to an unknown buyer), I learned from the ebay response the paypal account was someone in China!  So-where the item is listed actually has no bearing on this.  Someone may have just stolen your listing!

Terry

30 dodge,

my paypal acct is tied to a credit card. every month I can go over the charges and if there is a problem, call the credit card co. I am guessing you are paying Paypal straight from your bank acct.

you may want to rethink that. I encountered a problem years ago, with paypal going back into my bank acct and taking money out, wo my consent. I got on the phone and told them they were not the IRS and had no right to do what they did.

needless to say- I closed that acct and never gave them the upper hand again. They are not entitled to dip into your acct wo your permission.

4 hours ago, mercer09 said:

30 dodge,

I am guessing you are paying Paypal straight from your bank acct.

No not at all. I've only sold on ebay to create a positive balance and have been using the funds strictly from sold merchandise to fund the account. No deposits or withdrawals, I just use it to pay for things I like without having to dip into any of our accounts. Wife would skin me alive if I tied our personal account to paypal lol..

I get why folks prefer to use a credit card but it's just a personal decision I've made to keep our accounts separate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Maybe I read through everything too quickly but I'm wondering how you know for sure your carb is in Michigan?  

Read post # 7 by 60flat top. If you follow that link it takes you to the website and they advertise  they are out of Cass MI. 11-24 employees so it's a staffed warehouse that the two owners are running these items through. It may be completely legit as mentioned earlier via USPS auctioning off items and he may have just been lazy but you're correct in your warning.... anything is a possibility at this point until we find out more or if eBay or postal inspectors verify it's legitimacy.  

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll make sure I post the findings once I know for sure what happened. Sorry to all for jumping to conclusions initially but the knee jerk reaction is something I'm sure you can all understand and relate to considering the circumstances. It may be completely legit, but it may also be completely nefarious. Either way, I will post results when I know something more. 

Again, thanks for everyone's input.

Regards,
Dave

I use the USPS and just fill out the customs forms.  It's not really a big deal.  I have had customers say they won't buy from me if I use the GSP.  I like as much control over everything as possible.  Ebay has enough control over my business.  I've shipped carb kits,  but can't recall anything other than a pair of oil filled shocks that contained anything that would present a problem with importing.   I imagine if you want to get picky, many things technically can't be shipped if you really want to break things down to their core parts.  I have never had a problem with anything I have shipped being returned.  I even built a wood crate for a bumper and shipped it to Hungary with no problem. 

For funds,  since it is my only source of income,  I have to have a bank account tied to it to withdraw funds to pay my bills.  Not much choice there.  It use to be a separate account,  I set up for only ebay,   but it became my main account as the other ones didn't have any deposits going in them and now they charge you to have bank accounts.  

• Like 1

now they charge you to have bank accounts.  

Many now are not charging, since the fed has been raising rates.

M and T comes to mind in your neck of the woods. another is chase. they have served me well.

and once again- this is for everyone- use a designated credit card and not cash and you will protect yourselves from evil bay!

Edited by mercer09 (see edit history)

If you sell you have to use pay pal and selling with any frequency will leave a balance they can seize.  It's all part of pay to play. You want to sell,  you follow their rules.   Buying,  ebay will side with the buyer almost instantly every time so you don't have anything to worry about as a buyer. Claim it's not as described,  send it back and get a full refund.  No questions asked. 

• Like 1

With pay pal,  I always have to manually transfer funds.  They would also just go seize the funds out of your bank account or just snag them with the next payment you get.   If you sell with any frequency I don't think there is any way you can stop pay pal from having final say. Pretty much everyone uses it now.  I don't think I have gotten a physical payment in almost a year for an item that needed to be shipped and only 1 or 2 people that actually paid in person.  

Ebay can be a pain but once you figure out how to navigate it,  Carefully read the descriptions, ask questions first, can be a great resource for stuff not available elsewhere.  Especially when dealing with old cars.  As much as I enjoy Hershey and bought 355 pieces of literature while I was there,  I also bought the same amount or more off ebay when I was in my Hotel room before and after the show.  I have also found alot of parts I was never able to buy at Hershey and often at prices I would have never gotten if I could have found them, plus it's open 365 days a year and not contained to 4 days weather permitting from 8 or 10 AM to 3 or so in the afternoon when everyone starts packing it in. 

• Like 1