Sign in to follow this  
chistech

Inflatable paint booth

Has anyone here used an inflatable paint booth? Just ordered one and I have an idea on making a heat box with charcoal filters, with a Reddy Heater blowing into it. The make up air blower would get it’s air from the back of the box. A thermostat inside the booth would control the running of the heater. I’m thinking a propane one would easily produce enough heat to get the job done. The heater box design will not let the air get too hot to be blown into the fabric booth but warm enough to do the job. The booth I ordered is 26 x13x10 and appears very nice. Watched a YouTube video and the guy was quite impressed with the booths results. No, he was not a representative of the booth company but a guy who does informational painting/body work videos.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)

Christech, good timing !  I just used one of these booths for my 1st time just a few weeks ago. We loved it !  It was larger than your dimensions, because it belongs to a friend whose commercial garage burnt, and he got this to "tide him over" until the new building was completed. We had absolutely no issues with it.   One thing, we did do our prep and sanding outside before we took it to the booth for the final check, wipe-down, taping, masking, and spraying.  It turned out pretty nice, but since it was my wife's car and she was pleased, all is good !  ( except now she has ordered some vinyl flames, ha )

DSCN5540.JPG

IMG_20180728_185648427.jpg

IMG_20180728_121149611.jpg

IMG_20180728_121204637.jpg

IMG_2554.JPG

• Like 2

Zimm63, I had no idea of the cost, so I looked on Google...  Looks like from the 9 hundred dollar range on up per size and features. There are some on flea-bay and Amazon also lists them.

Theirs had a LOT of filtered air coming through vents on the upper hoop parts, exhausting out the big doors that were also filtered, and I wear a chemical respirator.... had isocyanate poisoning before from urethane- type paints.

The folks that own the booth had already cleaned the floor and inflated it for me before we got there. It is 110 volt, actually goes up in very few minutes with the squirrel cage type fans that power it the owner said.  In these pics, you can see one of the fans, some of the doors, and some of the vents in the overhead hoops.   Looks like this unit came from Montgomery Texas..   https://mobileenvironmentalsolutions.com/mobile-paint-booth/

DSCN5539.JPG

IMG_20180728_114618465.jpg

This is what I wanted to hear! I’ve read other threads on IBs and people were saying lots of negative things yet they had never used one which is so typical of internet keyboard junkies. If all sanding and prep work is done before the car is put inside the booth, dust and dirt should not be a problem. My booth was $1,400 including the two blowers, repair/patch kit, tie down ropes, tie down stakes, a storage bag, and free shipping. 

I have a large concrete pad behind my garage that this booth will fit nicely on. For a 1932 car that’s disassembled, my 26x13x10 booth will have plenty of room. I realize the booth I bought is probably not the highest quality but I’ll only be doing 1-3 cars a year so it should hold up at least for a couple years. The way I look at it is that’s about $225 per car if I replace the booth after 6 cars. It’s basically cheaper than loading all the pieces up and going to a paint shop. With my own in-house paint and body man now, it will be great keeping everything right here on my property. 

• Like 3

chistech, sounds like you've got a great plan !  I would love to have my own one of these, but no room at my place unless I fill the pool....hmmmmm

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, chistech said:

With my own in-house paint and body man now, it will be great keeping everything right here on my property. 

Sounds like a business expansion is coming. ;)

Great idea. As long as the fan is on it’s own dedicated circuit and the fan doesn’t give up the ghost overnight.  What a disaster it would be to have inflation problems during painting or drying processes.  Anyone who’s painted before knows that no matter how prepared you think you are, there’s often something unforeseen that comes up during spraying and you end up scrambling trying to keep the job from going sideways.

All ready thought of that and my idea is to make a framework possibly out of heavy pvc pipe that would do double duty as a roof support if air was lost and also something to mount led lighting on all around the perimeter of the booth.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, John Byrd said:

chistech, sounds like you've got a great plan !  I would love to have my own one of these, but no room at my place unless I fill the pool....hmmmmm

You could use it to make a year-round swimming pool enclosure.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, John Byrd said:

Theirs had a LOT of filtered air coming through vents on the upper hoop parts, exhausting out the big doors that were also filtered, and I wear a chemical respirator.... had isocyanate poisoning before from urethane- type paints.

You have to be very carful when using an isocyanine as it never really leaves  your system. The only real protection is a fresh air system and your body covered in a paint suit.  Do not trust a chemical respirator as they are not meant to paint a car because of the duration and heavy mist in the air. I see people walking into a booth to look at the finished job with no respirator on not thinking that the isocyanides is a vapor being released during the drying process. Isocyanides attracts mainly to the damp areas of your body like eyes, arm pits or palm of your hand. Another thing do people realise that when wet sanding an old pain job that has isocyanides it will reactivate so where rubber gloves .

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Got my booth in yesterday. Set it up behind the garage to make sure all was correct with it. Took about 3-4 minutes to fully inflate because it needs a little help at first to get all four corners up and I was by myself. After taking some measurements I realized it will fit inside my garage and will just be up against the bottom of my trusses. This is a good thing as I won’t have to worry about the weather and my garage has heat for the cold times. I hadn’t put the filters in when I took the pictures.

1E3DE411-2661-4B56-842B-8B5DCB25A6E3.jpeg

B4929C6E-9015-4E40-B0BE-A7C1DA6E7FC2.jpeg

0AD3FE3F-F702-4955-9F0C-A0EC1F892506.jpeg

C96BB23D-05F8-49CC-8495-C58858DD68CB.jpeg

• Like 2

As with any spray booth the heat and lighting must not have any sparking or open flame. Fresh air breathing is a must, you can buy a kit for this also.

I can see where lightning will be a problem with this in your garage.

I would plan on placing one or two 4" fluorescent lights outside of each window bay.

You might want to become very good friends with your local Codes Enforcement Officer asr. well as your insurance carrier.