Tape won't eject.

I can't eject a tape and can't use my CD player. I can get the radio to work by pressing the eject button three times. Any ideas what may be wrong and how to fix it? Or, should I just take it to a repair shop?

You're gonna get a ton of replies, talking about belt replacement. But I've had four units factory-rebuilt by Delco, and every one had the little plastic tabs broken off inside. That's why it won't eject, but keeps trying. Click, click, click. Three pushes on the eject button and at least the radio portion works. Delco charges $145, plus postage, and that includes reconditioning the am/fm portion also. My local Delco place charges a flat $200 for removing the unit, shipping it to wherever, and reinstalling after it's rebuilt. I know that seems high, but it's worth it if you want your car to look original. Every aftermarket unit I've seen stuffed into the dash looks like crap, in my 'umble opinion.

Now for the CD player: Warm up a CD (on the hood if weather is good; otherwise with a hairdryer or near a light bulb). When the disc is above 80 degrees, stick it in the player. In the majority of cases, you won't get the ERROR message and the thing will play. If it does, get yourself a CD cleaner disc and use it regularly. This process has worked in both cars in which I've tried it. Believe or not, I found the solution in the Reatta service manual.

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. Now the big question. Is there a shop manual that describes how to remove the radio and tape deck? Or, better yet, can anyone send me an e-mail describing the removal process?

M & R ELECTRONICS 1-800-343-1382. THESE PEOPLE FIXED MY CASSETTE PLAYER FOR $130.00. FAST AND IT WORKS GREAT. YOU MUST SEND IT IN YOURSELF BUT ITS WORTH THE TIME.

What year car we talking about? I assume it's a '90-91 since you mention a CD player. The radio (do they still call them 'radios'?)is held in with (4) 7mm head hex screws. Then there's the electrical connections, of course. Somewhat self-explainatory. The trim bezel has to come off first(4 Torx screws and bunch of press in clips). Pry VERY carefully to remove, as it will break with excessive force. There is a fine line between 'excessive', and 'just right'. Good luck.

Harry:

Naturally assumed it was either a '90 or '91, as he mentioned his CD wasn't working either. Thanks for the tip on removal. I tried it once, and cracked the big black trim bezel (my "just right" turned out to be "excessive"). From then on, I had the Delco guy do it. He whips the bezel off in about 60 seconds, and has the stereo unit out in another 60.

Jerry