roaringtwenties

Wanted ANY Pre-1929 touring car (Please read for insight)

Our friendly newcomer posted his question on

October 17, but hasn't returned to the forum

since then to see even a single one of the well-thought replies.

"Roaring Twenties," these topics require participation!

Especially so when you post a question and leave

no phone number or other contact information.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 10/29/2018 at 4:18 PM, auburnseeker said:

Non running engines are huge gambles.  Now when I look at a car for sale,  that is priced according to one that should have a good engine, I bring a noncontact thermometer, I make sure it comes up to temperature,  doesn't overheat,  runs well, and smooth,  Starts well cold or hot.  I guess I'm just getting fussy But rebuilding the engines in the last two cars I had which wasn't planned for,  tends to make you think that if it's not running and maybe turns over,  then buy it according to it needing to be rebuilt.  If you win and it only needs something minor then great,  I'm sure you will find some other unexpected unpleasent surprise that will eat up that savings.  I usually find the bad engine and then the other surprise as a bonus. 

Most of these cars were parked for a reason,  many were just worn out. 

Slow to this thread but *absolutely* agree with the noncontact thermometer.  ...early thirties sedan taught me that lesson.  

Well, I’ve actually been offered to purchase (when the elderly gentleman passes, he is currently ill) a brass model T touring carrunning and driving for $3000. It has top bows but no roof and decent upholstery. It does run well and has a two sped ruxtel added. It’s not close to being perfect but does fit the OPs wants. Thing is, it’s part of a huge collection of T and A parts that have to all be purchased with it which I’m prepared to do. I also won’t sell the touring for what I’ll be paying but it will go for a very reasonable price. Why I’m being offered first refusal on all this is they know I’m an old car guy and they asked if I would try and sell as much of the collection off to people who are going to use the parts as intended and not just junk it all for metal. There is 5 out buildings with at least enough parts to make 4-6 Ts and probably 2-3 As. There is also about a dozen titles with all this so I think I’ll be able to get it done but I explained the selling prices would have to be low so the effort in putting things back together won’t be as much of a factor to the new owners. 

• Like 2

I realize there is little to no chance of the original poster coming back and reading this but it is not directed at him but rather those that responded.  True I am "new" to the forum and there is a chance I am using this as an opportunity to boost my posts but I also feel it is a valid point. 

Realistically the only thing to think about in todays world if you want an open car for under 10k is a model T, 3k is very little.  However how many of us have seen or know of people who have bought complete chassis for a fraction of 3k even chassis in good running condition.  Why didn't anybody suggest getting looking for a T chassis, he could then keep his eyes open or buy a body to go on it saving up additional money during that time while his friends help go thru the chassis so he does have a really good running car?

Good bodies are usually the most valuable part.  The reason the chassis can be had cheap is the bodies have usually been harvested for other projects.  You could get lucky,  but usually if you find a body all by itself it isn't complete.  Fortunately if it's a T you can probably buy alot of parts fairly cheap new.   Often though,  you end up at the same place or even have more money tied up than if you bought the whole car together at once.  The only exception is if you find a completely rebuilt chassis with rebuilt engine,  you might come out ahead. If it's really been rebuilt correctly though,  it probably wasn't really all that cheap.  

I was just thinking a number of months ago there was a complete T body painted upholstery fenders etc that looked great that was offered.  I picked up a '27 complete chassis minus frame for $800 and believe me I was thinking about buying the body.  I could have easily had a nice car for around 3k.  I know somebody else who also picked up a compete running chassis for I believe $500.  There are other body options, I know it was years ago but if memory serves we bought the touring body for the '14 new. 

This is about the cheapest best looking thing i have seen,  It's still 6G though.  

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/trumbull-1922-willys-overland-touring/6786027501.html

1922 Willys Overland Touring Model 4A - $6000 (Trumbull)

Would make an excellent father and son/daughter project!

1922 Willys Overland with a factory 4cyl and 3 Spd transmission. Exterior looks good for almost being 100 years old. Interior is very presentable and clean, Not butchered. Looks all factory, definitely was restored at one time. 

Will take a bit of elbow grease to get this girl started. If you know how to work on model T's you'll get it going with minimum effort and money! 

I believe that the carb has to be rebuilt because when the starter button is engaged the engine/fan spins, but it doesn't fire. I sprayed starting fluid in the carb downdraft tube and it almost started.

6v battery charges, lights work, dash lights work, emergency brake works. Just a little effort with the carb will get you going!

I have all of the brackets for the convertible top. Also comes with another solid frame, drivetrain etc. Sell the parts off to recoup some funds!

Again, this is a really classy lady looking for a well deserved home. Been registered in CT for the last 28 years, being sold with a Bill of Sale!

If you are seriously interested contact me at (2 zero 3) five 21-78 five eight, If you can see the ad it's available. This is a very simple transaction, if you have the money it's yours.

You deserve to buy something for yourself!

00j0j_fDwrR04Zb0_600x450.jpg

00x0x_kcokbW2X8V7_600x450.jpg

00Y0Y_63U7q2CvP9B_600x450.jpg

00101_cGtm7ohJLU2_600x450.jpg