Tinted glass on Prewar Packards?

West Peterson

I thought you'd be interested in seeing a prewar LOF logo, with no "code", but an actual date. This mark is on all of the windows of my 1940 Packard, which (until recently), were original to the car. The date is May 1940, my car was delivered in July 1940. My question is this:

It appears to be tinted glass (ever so slightly), and it has been commented that it may have "tinted" due to age. However, all the "tinting" I've ever seen due to age or sitting in the sun is yellow, not green. My car has been inside all of its life. The other factor is that my car is fitted with factory air-conditioning, so I'm thinking it may have been fitted with tinted glass from the factory. Automotive glass tinting didn't become widespread until the early 1950s, but it was certainly experimented with earlier than that (much earlier). I'm looking for thoughts from anyone in regard to their opinion on this. Thank you. Is the glass tinted? or is it the layer sandwiched in between tinted? Or did the layer in between age to green? While it seems dark when placed on a light color background, while in the car no one can really see the tint. The glass shop I used pointed this out after comparing it with a clear pane of glass.

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The 1932 Rolls Royce Phantom I Dover Sedan (built November 1932) that I had parked next to you two years ago at Dayton Concours had a green tinted divider window - it was delaminating on the edge really bad, but when I took it out to replace and laid it on the garage floor my sister walked by and said "that is interesting it has tinted glass."  I then took it to the glass shop the first words out of their mouth was "how close do you want the tint."    A lot of people would say the tint was wrong and it was heat/light damage, but my opinion was the delamination (that was not present on any other appearing original glass on the car) was caused by some sort of coating or different formula for making the "plastic" lamination middle layer.