`63 Riviera hood button

1965rivgs

18 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi All,

Does anyone have a pic of an ORIGINAL `63 Riv hood button/insert? I know there were/are repros available but I`m interested in knowing what the original appearance and fastening method used was. Thanks in advance,

Tom Mooney

Tom,

How close is Randy Rymal's repo?

Hi Ed,

I dont know? I`m basically asking what the specs are on the originals. I knew that repros were/are available at some point, and that they had to be "glued in", but I did not know Randy supplied the repros.

Do you have pics of an original hood button? Or know of a factory photo?

Thanks,

Tom

I can't get to it because of the cast on my leg.  I'll try to tell Linda where it is and have her get  it for me.  I'm pretty sure it has a stud on the back of it and uses the same kind of molding clip nut that the rest of the studs on the hood spear use.  Give me a couple of days.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

On 10/17/2018 at 3:08 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Hi All,

Does anyone have a pic of an ORIGINAL `63 Riv hood button/insert? I know there were/are repros available but I`m interested in knowing what the original appearance and fastening method used was. Thanks in advance,

Tom Mooney

Tom,

I was changing the oil in the Riv today and remembered you had this question. Removed mine and you can see in the pictures what it looks like and how it is fastened. It is accessible  through the opening where the hood latches.The cut nut was an 11/32".

Bill

IMG_4802.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_4805.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG

Thanks Bill,

I`m wondering at the moment if yours is the repro Ed referred to? I find it strange Buick would use the tri-colored trishield in the hood button when the standard wheel covers, wire wheel covers and cast aluminum wheel spinners are silver tri-shield with the black background? That detail seems to have been a deliberate attempt to create some separation between the Riv and the rest of the Buick lineup. Were the originals red, white and blue or silver/black? I have been looking at old period photos but cant seem to find a photo which indicates this definitively. Maybe this was one of the running changes in `63?? If someone had an NOS example in the original packaging with part # that would be great. Or pics of an extremely low mileage car? Or maybe I`ll simply keep my eyes open at the next Buick show! Thanks again for the pics of your car,

Tom

My original is red/white/blue.  That's always puzzled me as well.  When I first got my car back in 82, I thought that perhaps it had been replaced then I started seeing others the same.  My car is a 2E production. FB 18xxx.

On the ROA's website, Ray Knott's article on the '63 in The Evolution of the Riviera series, he shows a closeup picture of the red/white/blue hood button.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

3 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Thanks Bill,

I`m wondering at the moment if yours is the repro Ed referred to? I find it strange Buick would use the tri-colored trishield in the hood button when the standard wheel covers, wire wheel covers and cast aluminum wheel spinners are silver tri-shield with the black background? That detail seems to have been a deliberate attempt to create some separation between the Riv and the rest of the Buick lineup. Were the originals red, white and blue or silver/black? I have been looking at old period photos but cant seem to find a photo which indicates this definitively. Maybe this was one of the running changes in `63?? If someone had an NOS example in the original packaging with part # that would be great. Or pics of an extremely low mileage car? Or maybe I`ll simply keep my eyes open at the next Buick show! Thanks again for the pics of your car,

Tom

There are no signs to me that this is a repro. The patina and aging on it are consistent with other original parts that I have removed from my car. I have only seen the R/W/B ones on any 63 I have looked at. Even though they may have used black and silver in other areas to separate it from the other models it is still a Buick. If the originals were black and silver why would CARS, Inc. make the repros R/W/B? CARS, Inc. seems to be pretty good at keeping things as original in their repros. 

As a side note, does anyone know if the repros have the metal plate and threaded stud as the original? If I remember correctly there was some talk on previous threads about having to glue the repro button. If someone has replaced theirs with a repro button I would like to know how they had to attach it. Mine is a little rough and am thinking of replacing. Thanks.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes, I agree with all your points. I have a used hood molding with the button attached exactly like yours, with a threaded stud, but there is no color left on the tri-shield and the plastic appears to have cracked up and fallen out. But I have reason to believe there may have also been a version of the hood button which was black and silver. That is why I suggested there may have been 2 versions. At this point I dont know anything about the repro Ed mentioned which was apparently marketed by Randy Rymal which may have been studded? Regarding repros I guess if someone was doing such a part they would have to decide which version to produce....if they were even aware there were two versions. I try to stay away from determining what was original based on repro parts. The repro stuff seems to always be a compromise to originalty which I understand...

Here is a link to an Ebay auction for an NOS hood split molding. The molding is definitely NOS but I suspect the hood button in this molding is the glue in repro you and I have mentioned. I know this vendor, met him decades ago in the swap at the BCA events, so it is possible he spruced up this NOS molding with the repro hood button. Or maybe Buick did a version with adhesive? I would seriously doubt that.....

Anyway, purpose of this thread was to educate myself concerning what is correct so thanks again for the pics and comments.

Tom

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BUICK-1963-RIVIERA-CENTER-HOOD-MOULDING-NOS-GM-TRIM/263990517382?hash=item3d770f9e86:g:aT0AAOSwBU1aiG5e:rk:13:pf:0

Not to hi-jack this thread, but curious as to why Buick waited until the 1964 model year to use the "R in the oval" Riviera logo.  The exclusive 1963 Riviera sales brochure features the Riviera logo on the cover but it never made it on the car.  Again, just curious.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

Not to hi-jack this thread, but curious as to why Buick waited until the 1964 model year to use the "R in the oval" Riviera logo.  The exclusive 1963 Riviera sales brochure features the Riviera logo on the cover but it never made it on the car.  Again, just curious.  Thanks!

Easiest way to tell a 63 from a 64 is the big B U I C K letters on the trunk lid.  I think the only reference to Riviera on the outside is on the front fenders. Inside Riviera appears on custom door panels, the horn bar, and the glove box. 

On a 63 the tri-shield appears on the hood button, wheel covers (3 choices), and tail lights.

On 10/18/2018 at 3:26 PM, Riviera63 said:

Tom,

I was changing the oil in the Riv today and remembered you had this question. Removed mine and you can see in the pictures what it looks like and how it is fastened. It is accessible  through the opening where the hood latches.The cut nut was an 11/32".

Bill

IMG_4802.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_4805.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG

Bill,

Is there a square projection on the edge of your hood button? Which indexes into a relief in the molding to keep the button centered while tightening the nut? It appears so but is hard to tell from the pics, thanks in advance,

Tom

1 minute ago, RivNut said:

Tom,

Linda was able to find the R R repo hood button.  Not what I thought.  No stud on the back. Just a button to be glued to the spear.  It looks nice but....

Would you like to see a picture?

Ed

Thanks Ed...no, a pic is not necessary. I assume it is tri-colored? Thanks for the input,

Tom

22 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Bill,

Is there a square projection on the edge of your hood button? Which indexes into a relief in the molding to keep the button centered while tightening the nut? It appears so but is hard to tell from the pics, thanks in advance,

Tom

Tom,

No, There is nothing to keep the button from twisting as you tighten. You need to hold in place to keep the tri-shield centered while tightening. The edges of the button are beveled so that the button sits down and is flush with the top of the molding. I hope this answers your question. I can take more/different pics if you want.

Bill

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, RivNut said:

Easiest way to tell a 63 from a 64 is the big B U I C K letters on the trunk lid.  I think the only reference to Riviera on the outside is on the front fenders. Inside Riviera appears on custom door panels, the horn bar, and the glove box. 

On a 63 the tri-shield appears on the hood button, wheel covers (3 choices), and tail lights.

The Riviera script round emblem also appears on the speaker grill between the rear seat backs.

DSCF7285.JPG

DSCF7286.JPG

DSCF7291.JPG

DSCF7292.JPG

• Like 1

Have some pics of the hood emblem which is the reason I started this thread... this seems to be more appropriately engineered as there is a raised square shoulder on the emblem which indexes into a relief in the hood molding. Fit in the hood molding opening is perfect.

Tom

20181023_152243.jpg

20181023_152303.jpg

20181023_152506.jpg

20181023_152651.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Have some pics of the hood emblem which is the reason I started this thread... this seems to be more appropriately engineered as there is a raised square shoulder on the emblem which indexes into a relief in the hood molding. Fit in the hood molding opening is perfect.

Tom

20181023_152243.jpg

20181023_152303.jpg

20181023_152506.jpg

20181023_152651.jpg

Tom,

I went back and reexamined my hood button and hood spear. The hood spear has the notch and the hood button has the square raised shoulder. I missed this the first time. I am thinking that when I reinstalled the button the first time I must have raised the button when I first started to put the cut nut back on so that it was above the notch and spun. When I reinstalled the second time I held it down so that it stayed engaged until I took up the play in the cut nut.

Bill

IMG_4809.JPG

IMG_4810.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riviera63 said:

Tom,

I went back and reexamined my hood button and hood spear. The hood spear has the notch and the hood button has the square raised shoulder. I missed this the first time. I am thinking that when I reinstalled the button the first time I must have raised the button when I first started to put the cut nut back on so that it was above the notch and spun. When I reinstalled the second time I held it down so that it stayed engaged until I took up the play in the cut nut.

Bill

IMG_4809.JPG

IMG_4810.JPG

Good to know Bill, thanks. What is the black substance applied around the perimeter?

Tom

46 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Good to know Bill, thanks. What is the black substance applied around the perimeter?

Tom

Tom,

If you look at my first picture of my button you will notice that there is/are spots where the black has worn off and you can see a clear spot(s). I have found out working with the plastic center discs on the wire wheel covers if you paint the backside where they are worn it will help them look blacker and those light or clear spots are less noticeable. With the hood button I took a black magic marker to it to mask some of those spots.

Bill