Passing the torch

Restorer32

Please allow an old man to brag a bit.  After 37 years of restoring professionally the business was turned over to my 35 year old Son Devon two years ago.  I still come in every day and do a bit of upholstery and woodwork but for the most part I just get in the way.  At last week's Hershey we showed a 1960 Eldorado Biarritz which was the first full restoration run completely by my Son from start to finish.  Happily it was well received and garnered a First Junior Award.  I can now rest easy knowing the business is in good hands

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Jeff, that's great news about the 1960 Eldorado !  I was so glad that you responded to my post here a few years back when I needed help with my SS Impala... Devon & his team did such an outstanding job with the metal work !

I wish continual success for you guys!

Steve

ps.... I should have the Impala running soon !

20181016_162947.jpg

13 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Please allow an old man to brag a bit.  After 37 years of restoring professionally the business was turned over to my 35 year old Son Devon two years ago.  I still come in every day and do a bit of upholstery and woodwork but for the most part I just get in the way.  At last week's Hershey we showed a 1960 Eldorado Biarritz which was the first full restoration run completely by my Son from start to finish.  Happily it was well received and garnered a First Junior Award.  I can now rest easy knowing the business is in good hands

Thank you Restorer32, I mean that sincerely...

I have to apologize to readers in advance for my grammar... as a kid I was horrible in school and went to 17 schools growing up until the 10th grade before dropping out. Jeff, not to take away from your inspiring words in your post but as victim of growing up in a divorced home at a very young age I can really appreciate your dedication as a father and a friend to your son. Very inspiring to me on a personal level... I just have to say how much I appreciate it.

Many of us who really never had a father growing up can appreciate this more than words can express but please allow me to ramble for a bit in hopes of explaining....

As a father now, I can only dream of the life you've achieved and the gratitude your son has for you now and will have for years to come, you are a proud father and deservedly so.. Me on the other hand ? Sure I'm proud to break the ridiculous cycle of divorce and have raised my kids in the same home with the same beautiful woman for over 30 years in hopes of giving them a better future than we had and to show my love to them as a father and as a friend no matter where life leads them but your life is one I'm envious of in a way that drives me to be a better father, husband and friend.

Having said all that, I've loved the prewar stuff since I was around 7 years old but had no one to learn from due to the divorce and being raised by a single mother with five brothers and sisters but even though my family was split and torn apart my love and passion and fire for old cars never went out thankfully. Keep in mind, I'm not complaining or venting, I'm just stating the facts in order for you to see how much your post means to some of us.

Today, I'm only a novice to intermediate level in the hobby but I truly love it for it's history and nostalgia. As a novice I'm limited because I've had no real foundation for what this great hobby requires of us both financially and the amount of time it takes. But because I have another passion which is learning and researching I'm achieving more daily than I've ever dreamed. I don't mean that boastfully, I'm simply stating a fact and how it relates to my passion for vintage and antique memorabilia (mostly trucks). The love for the vehicles and having a strong relationship with my kids and wife are what it's all about but the learning I've received from places like this site, talking with friends in clubs and the many books I've accumulated to help me along the way are the reason for my success. At least I feel successful even though nothing monetary or substantial has come out of it... Still, something is plaguing me as I write this.

I've tried to pass along what little knowledge I have with my son but he's only interested in the new import stuff (really breaks my heart to be honest... ), please pray for me lol. He's a very good, successful and bright kid and I'm very proud of him but I can't seem to get him interested in vintage vehicles as of yet. He's been around it all his life which is why I'm surprised. When I say vintage I don't me Ford Pinto, 1985 Cutlass or any of that kind of stuff, I mean good stuff with real steel that you can work on. Mostly he's seen me have old trucks all his life and at one point when he was in high school I tried to give him a 1970 short bed Chevy truck but he wasn't interested so I sold it for a profit thanks to the straight dry Arizona body and sound engine. Sure that isn't a true antique or anything to write home about but it was important that I at least try to get him involved somehow and I thought giving him something of his own may ignite the fire.  Now he regrets it dearly because he sees the value of the 67-72's  but I still cannot pry him away from the love of the imports. I've often thought maybe he's bitter towards me but we do have a great relationship so I know that can't be it. Sometimes I think it's just the environment and many influences he has had growing up (public schools, bad crowd at one point etc..) who knows... I do encourage him though that I'm here whenever he's ready to learn and get his hands dirty and I'm waiting patiently hoping the fire is lit in him someday... I've played with him as a child having him on my shoulders walking threw swap meets, going to Disney and the normal farther son stuff but I'm getting anxious for the real fun now that we can have in only our adult lives together as friends. I always tell him, "son, that day is coming where you will love working on them and when it does you'll be glad it did". I don't hound him about it but I do make it a point to let him know a couple times a year. He's 34 now, and I'm hoping he is ready before the age of 40 so we don't miss out on valuable precious time while our health is still good. 

Anyway, I feel I had to mention some of these things to paint a picture for you of how much guys like you are appreciated, I mean that. You've given your son a tremendous gift that is more valuable than anything on this planet in my view. Kudos to you as a father and a friend.

You are truly appreciated and thank you for sharing a small part of your legacy story. Very cool

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

I've tried to pass along what little knowledge I have with my son but he's only interested in the new import stuff (really breaks my heart to be honest... ), please pray for me lol. He's a very good, successful and bright kid and I'm very proud of him but I can't seem to get him interested in vintage vehicles as of yet. He's been around it all his life which is why I'm surprised. When I say vintage I don't me Ford Pinto, 1985 Cutlass or any of that kind of stuff, I mean good stuff with real steel that you can work on. Mostly he's seen me have old trucks all his life and at one point when he was in high school I tried to give him a 1970 short bed Chevy truck but he wasn't interested so I sold it for a profit thanks to the straight dry Arizona body and sound engine. Sure that isn't a true antique or anything to write home about but it was important that I at least try to get him involved somehow and I thought giving him something of his own may ignite the fire.  Now he regrets it dearly because he sees the value of the 67-72's  but I still cannot pry him away from the love of the imports.

I 'pray' for your son, not you!! 

The next time he invites you to a Tuner Car show, SUPPORT him and attend!  I have mild respect for them; especially some of those Subarus one can buy off the showroom floor.  (WRX STi Type-RA, for example).  Technology has come a long way in 60+ years, and we now see greater than 300 hp out of a 4 cylinder.  And Ford is doing their best with the Focus RS.  And you might even come away impressed. 

The only way you'll ignite the fire is if you show some support for his interests in the modern import products, and he might reciprocate and start showing an interest in yours.

Craig

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 12:31 PM, Restorer32 said:

his wife is a tenured school teacher and a butcher's daughter so hopefully they will never go hungry.

There should be a country song in there somewhere, ha ha.  Not to take away from this proud moment - congratulations on a job well done!