Wheel Bolts

Willy

There are two kinds of wheel bolts securing the spokes: short ones and long ones, and not even the wheelwright shops have them any longer.  When I rebuilt my wheels a few years ago, I was able to buy new short bolts from a Model T supply company, but not the long ones.  Since I was missing a few of the long ones, I had to have them made by a machine shop.

These are the two types of wheel bolts that were used on my late-series '22 touring car:

Your 1918 model used 25" wheels and a 33 X 4 tire, whereas my '22 uses a 24' wheel and a 32 X 4 tire, so possibly your bolts might be different.

The DB Master Parts Book doesn't even try to list the wheel part numbers for a whole blanked-out range of cars, I think because they changed the wheels so often.

In the attached picture of the different types of wheels used, would anybody know the production dates or car numbers involved?

Dodge Bros wheel bolts.jpg

Types of Dodge Bros wood wheel rims.jpg

Edited by 22touring (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I managed to score a box of gd 5, 7/16" × 2 1/4" carriage screws (bolts).

I ordered 7/16" heavy nuts to go with them as well.

This isn't the same place I got them but they are hard to find.

https://www.fastenersdirect.com/details/item?itemid=F-41478

If the above link doesn't work you'l have to start over at that one >>> https://www.fastenersdirect.com/category/psearch/658?in_fields=%7B"DIAMETER"%3A"7%2F16"%2C"THREAD%20PITCH"%3A"Coarse"%2C"LENGTH"%3A"2-1%2F4"%2C"FINISH"%3A"Zinc%20Plated"%2C"GRADE"%3A"Grade%205"%2C"PACKAGING"%3A""%7D

I secured the nuts with "Threadlocker".

Mikefit, here's what I have. I would include an extra piece of a rim to locate the valvestem. This is what I was told that was needed to make a complete set, along with hubs, rims and bolts. I'll make up a box, if you want them, for $50, plus shipping. Willy

CIMG4340.JPG

Mike, unfortunately, you caught me at a  busy time - I'd be about a week out before I can make a box and send it to you. A check would be fine. I have a bunch of projects I'm tied to, and I must get them done first. Don't send me anything until I make a box, and get the postage figured out. I need your shipping address to get the postage, and I live far from town, which means I usually send packages through the Post Office, which up here, is much cheaper than UPS or FedEx. Willy

Willy do not get in a hurry I may not thought this thru fello rings rims new tires and tubes flaps and the mis nuts bolts and wheel clamps may be more $ than I thought . ( More than the car is worth) going to do some home work and see where it goes.  Mike

If someone has some used rims and rings that would be great tires I could live with.  Thanks. Mike

Edited by Mikefit
And the rest of the story. (see edit history)

Mikefit, if it helps any, I saved for two years to get five tires, four new wheels, but I already had the old wheels, which included metal rims, brackets. Maybe you should start looking there. There is a man on You Tube, building a 1918 DB Touring, who got sponsored by an antique parts house - maybe he has something that would help. There is another man, Gene French, in Colorado, that collects DB Tourings - he has a load of cars, parts. If you're interested, I could look up his number. Willy

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 10:28 AM, Mikefit said:

I called Gene no help he recommended a guy in California Bob Stephan. Not sure of the last name spelling he did not have a phone number for him.  Guess I'm back to so one.  Mike

Bob Scafani.