Sign in to follow this  
40Clubcoupe

DUAL exhaust on the V12

My 38 Zephyr exhaust has rusty pipes and pinholes in muffler and tailpipe, so it is time this winter for a new exhaust system. I thought maybe I might see something about installing DUALS on the V12 in past newsletters, but it might be quite a while before I run across any such information. I am a newcomer to LZ so pardon me if this has been discussed before exhaustively. (ha,ha) 

Can anyone speak for or against DUALS ?   Did you buy two single stock kits ?  Did you have a local custom shop make up something from scratch ?   Any special routing to watch out for?   Any preferable type of muffler ?  Any performance change in the V12 ?

THANKS for any insight !

Gotta have duals!!  I cant speak for performance benefits, but my car had  had the frame modified....(cut) and I figured , might as well

run custom duals- with turbo mufflers..has mellow hum ...you can get headers  as well!!

If you want a race car, go buy a GTO, but my lz keeps up with traffic pretty well...I think a dual intake would also help...

the dual routing is a bit ugly, clutch pedals are in the way...

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

Thanks !  On performance, I had just wondered if duals tended to lean out the V12, as happens with some setups.

I am most happy to drive along in the LZ at 55 - 60 mph. Both the car and myself feel that is plenty fast.  If I want to terrorize the road, I have a Ford-powered sports car that will do a pretty scary job, but I'm getting too old for that nonsense too.

There's a somewhat local custom exhaust shop that I would like to see if they could make a second exhaust line work and add turbo mufflers as you have. It may be that Lincoln designed an exhaust with sufficient pressure for the V12, but I certainly suspect that a dual setup would let the engine breathe much easier.

Plus, duals just have the "look" that would compliment the Zephyr so well.

I have little ford script exhaust tips,  a little goofy but..........true duals, I  have toyed with 

changing mufflers to glass packs or something...Hot Rod Lincoln and all that..

zeffers in november 2011 (2).jpg

IMG_0004.JPG

• Like 1

Here's a left headpipe from Reds Header under frame member then up.  Hasbe O2 sensor and a few things not hooked up.

Abe

left head pipe.jpg

I always considered it a badge of pride to see twin smoke from the rear of cars, 70's and 80's were smog years and  

they seemed to disappear...No, Its is not burning oil, ( well, it is a v-12, uses a little)

I couldn't resist......I told my high scool buds, it was like having a mono hi fi vs stereo--The sound dude, and the look!! 

cold dual smoke not oil!!.JPG