What is this fitting and where do I get one?

billorn

This fitting is off a fuel pump and it is damaged so it leaks. I am trying to find another one but the only ones I can find are regular 90s but I need this one with the long leg. It needs to clear the body of the fuel pump. It is 1/8 NPT to 5/16 flare if that matters. I have found some that are close but they are all 37 degrees and I need 45 degrees fittings. Does anyone know where to get these?

Even if I knew what it was called maybe I could find one. Any ideas?

Fitting1.thumb.jpg.1d8e6ac76d3cafe03714ffa5f2d11a88.jpg

That was my first stop Keiser. Plus all the other hydralic supply shops. The long leg for the NPT side is the problem. I have a regular 90 fitting but it wont clear. Hopefully this photo shows it. It needs to be long enough to clear the edge of the fuel pump housing. There are other ways but it just wont be as tidy. More joints = more leak chances.

Fitting2.thumb.jpg.bcfb99d2dd7a27af3bbb870fe31dfba3.jpg

Try this also other with different lengths . https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weatherhead-1-4-x-1-8-Brass-SAE-45-Degree-Long-Elbow-63AX3059-Lot-Of-25-Each/260973145493?epid=1901829865&hash=item3cc3362d95:g:SlEAAOxylhxRGIAg:rk:22:pf:0

ps  search words ( long elbow)  is key .

Edited by ArticiferTom
Add ps (see edit history)

This is a National Pipe Thread (NPT) to Flare Elbow. Alternative is short nipple into double female elbow and Flare to NPT adapter on the other side of the elbow. Disagree with "more joints more leaks". Use good sealer on threads. If appearance is critical, braze and clean up original fitting. The local Lowes Box Store should be able to have what you need.

Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Its not a off the shelf part I discovered after a few hours of searching all over the internet and calling about ten stores. Lots of regular elbows that wont work because they dont have the long leg. The ebay link was helpful but 5/16 is hard to find I guess. Some others that are close but most are 37 degrees for high pressure. I need 45 degree standard flare. Right now I have three possible answers.

1 is to do it like Spinnyhill says and just run it out straight then add an extra bend. I think theres room for that but it will be very close to the fan.

2 is to use these copper gasket washers on the old fitting

5WRW0_AS02?$zmmain$

3 is to use this 90 fitting plus an adapter which I already have

GNAC-90DELB-2.jpg

I ordered the gasket washers and the elbow so we will see which one works best. I would like to keep the original looking fitting and the line looks so tidy going straight up to the carburetor without alot of extra bends. I can make that look neat too I guess just worried about clearance. It needs to come out about two inches so theres room for both the bending tool and the nut on the end. 

Too bad someone went the vice grips route on it.

The threads look like Teflon plumbers paste would likely be able to seal it. Never use the tape, just the paste !!!!

If you want the surface to look original, about an hour's work with some silver solder, a soldering gun, and jeweler's files and that original fitting will be ready for re-nickel plating. Then only tighten or remove it  by putting the flair nut on and using a socket and extension bar, or a rod placed into the short end of the fitting, to turn it.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

45 degree flare fittings are called "refrigeration fittings" and are readily available. McMaster Carr, MSC, and others all sell them.  You will need to know the thread size on the flared end.  McMaster has two 90 deg adapters with 45 deg flare on one end and 1/8" NPT on the other.  P/N 50635K401 has 3/8-24 threads. P/N 50635K403 has 7/16-20 threads. The only downside is that all the 90 deg adapters I've found like this have equal-length legs.  Your unequal length elbow is likely a factory custom part. 

Got the copper washers today and they look like they work. No leaks and we kept the factory fitting. I cleaned up the fitting a little with some fine sandpaper just so it doesnt look all chewed up. Note that I didnt chew it up. I removed it with my bare hands. It looks a little better now and no more leaks. Very happy!!!

The equal leg 90s wont work on my application. I looked forever to find the right one. The one's on Ebay are pretty close but none are for 5/16" line. Glad I didnt have to do something else. All fixed and back running again. Thank you for the help!

• Like 2