EMF, Studebaker, Everitte gears

AHa

• 2 weeks later...

I have not found any numbers. The upper gear has an ID of 1.745 and an OD of 4.585 and 26 teeth. It has a 3/8" hub. There are no numbers. The lower gear has an ID of 1.210 and an OD of 4.690 and 32 teeth. It has a groove for the shifter, a 1/4" hub and fits a six spline shaft.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

I priced the gears at $400 each to another interested party. I came to this figure after learning replacement costs were $850 per gear. Half price sounded like a pretty good deal to me. However, I don't need the gears and will entertain offers from interested parties. These are new gears. Before purchasing, some effort should be made to make sure the gears will fit your application. I have several gears that are the same size and ID, Od but some have hubs and some do not.

Gears are just gears... meaning that there are several companies that supply them "off the shelf"... try Martin Gear or Boston Gear. You need the DP (diametrical pitch) and the number of teeth. The OD is a reflection of that. Because of that, you can calculate the DP from the OD and the number of teeth. All early car gears will have a 14-1/2 degree pressure angle. They are usually supplied in an unhardened state so that the ID can be bored but there is no reason why they cannot be hardened after the ID is in place. On a few cars, the gears were sometimes lapped into each other by running them in a bath of oil and abrasive but it extremely doubtful that this was often done with anything but the most expensive cars and even then I'm not certain it was always done. If the gear warps slightly in hardening the worst you can expect is a little gear noise. This isn't harmful and given that most early transmissions produce gear noises I'd guess that they were always used without lapping. While not cheap, this is always a much less expensive alternative than making a gear from scratch. It gets a bit more complicated when the ID needs to be broached for a spline but even then, it's cheaper to start with an off the shelf product. I say that from the point of view of someone who has made gears and will probably do so again but I've bought them when it was expedient.