What did you buy at Hershey this year?

Laughing Coyote

Yes! After spending Tuesday thru Friday in my vendor spaces selling vintage Chevy/GMC truck parts- I had to take a break to meet my sons along RT 39 and guide them onto the swap meet field. As we negotiated the late afternoon browsers in the Green field, my youngest son spotted an NOS front fender for our ‘46 GMC pickup. I had walked past the spot at least 3 times and the fender wasn’t there. The seller had arrived late or didn’t display the thing until Friday afternoon. We quickly parked and walked back to his space. The negotiation was quickly concluded. You CAN find anything at Hershey- providing you are at the right place at the right time!

• Like 3

I would say it was a successful venture at Hershey this year, scored some spare parts for my 1929 Chevrolet, picked up a few tools, and best of all met a few Fellow AACA & VCCA members roaming about :)

I did all my scoring on Wednesday !! Thursday was wet and MANY vendors were closed or no where to be found. Traveled back home on Friday so not sure how things were then.

Few Picts of my Scores:

oCsL66YHoBSzCQzeNCcwgNH47t1X6t1m-FQdDKrC

everything i got from Hershey 2018

a few close ups :)

OONyEvhKyLHKTK4g6htj1HYocGssq-3JTfpWcF2Q

n6JXqbn_cQ_8dFjG1W0IAo7mOz-ZC4X7EKzku8um

6kas1UEv34s05QqOb9XxiOiRsD8v1dOarTPfoZJt

4DT40ajK8Nkckx4nQBYUOKVe0P_pCSpRO9z7pOyC

L101IFf2DRBNw4x11Zpyjkyzm2y1eUhz5KurRb-L

• Like 1

Great Hershey this year.  Five very good wheels, excellent rear fenders to replace my decent ones, a few of  the original tools including a nice set of Ford script pliers, a nice set of shock links, solid motor mounts, some other A smalls and some autmobilia.  My wife bought a cool Esso oil drop figurine bank - a tough negotiator, she got the guy to come down three times!!  ??

We also ordered a new seat from Lebaron, should come complete with springs (ours are saggy, feels like you could fall into the road!) Ready to drop in.  Something to look forward to as winter sets in.

Saw lots of friends, spent Thursday doing non car stuff in Lancaster PA Dutch country.  Show was great as well!!

Hershey is about socializing for me.  It was nice to see you Steve,  I apologize I was in pack mode for my dad.

I really only looked around two booths.  The first was because a tag on a file sticking out of a box caught my eye.  A great moment for me as  found 2 photos very near and dear to my heart.   The other booth I bought some coachbuilt renderings for Stearns Knight that I had been passing on for years but finally gave in.

IMG_4807-2.JPG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Oh, this guy wanted to get a quick pic so I obliged... ?

11666.jpeg

Don't you hate it when those people just won't leave us common folk alone?  All we want to do is buy car parts and they want a darn photo. ;)  Hopefully he atleast let you finish looking in the booth first so you didn't miss that part. 

Seeing my 6 year old Grandson Wheel & Deal was the highlight of Hershey 2018, he missed last year due to the arrival of his younger brother and talked about it all year long. He got to ride down on Tuesday and help set up the space, too bad I didn't have any quality stuff this year. We were loading the trailer on Sunday and that rocking horse fell out of the junk in the garage, he asked if it was going to Hershey. I told him it was non automotive and didn't fit in with the car stuff. This is the direct quote from a six year old "Put $20.00 on it and see what happens."...……..he got $10.00, the hobby will do just fine. Bob

IMG_8174 (1).JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, 3makes said:

Hey Bob, The apple doesn't fall from the tree, even if it is two generations apart.

All three generations are in that post Hershey depression. Something isn't right with my right leg so walking wasn't normal. I didn't cover the whole swap meet, and didn't have as much mad money as normal, on top of not having great stuff to sell. I did buy a hand full of original Bugatti parts, so can't complain that much. I'm planning of 2019 being a really great one, my 50th in a row, the 1912 T will be on the show field, and the whole family will be there. 

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

A set of tiers and numerous parts for the 12 from Langs. But I found an aluminum intake for it also at a real good price. A brass chimney for the 15. The other car does not need a thing so just kicked tires for it. 

The wife did well also with the purchase of two coffee mugs and a case of jam. But that was at Intercourse on rainy Thursday and was able to give my leg a rest the same time.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Been looking for a 17” SS trim ring for a 32’ Olds wood wheel for over two years sending out emails all over the globe and even posting here in the parts wanted section. On Thursday, my buddy and I were tired and wet so we were cutting through rows in the chocolate field heading back to the car. Lots of vendors were either gone or closed so the open ones were easy to spot. As I’m cutting through, I see a few wood wheels that looked like they were Olds but turns out they were Plymouth but they were 17”. When I glanced over at one of the tables I saw a bunch of thin trim rings but they were split (the Olds are solid rings). When I asked about them the guy said they were 17”. When I looked through the 7 or 8 rings, low and behold, one was a solid ring and damn if it didn’t look like an Olds. I figured I’d take the chance and purchased the ring. When I got home and compared it to my other five, sure enough, jack pot! I now have 6 SS original factory accessory trim rings for my Olds deluxe (6 wheeled) convertible roadster. Now to just get the restoration finished.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just got home and have not unpacked the goodies yet, but it was one of the best Hershey events ever for me.  Found some amazing early automobila, spark plugs for the collection, literature, and some really cool things that were just there waiting for me.  Actually the BEST day of all finding stuff for me was Thursday during the rain.  Vendors in their tents and under their awnings were eager for lookers and ready to sell  Enjoyed seeing so many olds friends as always.  Susan's cousin joined us for his first time visit to Hershey.  He was literally overwhelmed at the size and scope of it all.   He'll be back again and is shopping for a good car.  Think he's zeroed in on a Cougar.   When I unpack tomorrow I'll shoot some pics and post them.

Terry

I didn't find too many actual parts, especially since we fly in and suitcase space is limited but made great contacts that should work out for me. There was an interesting teens/twenties exhaust heater but it was made largely of cast iron, probably would have prompted a closer look at customs I would think.

Edited by 4Hud (see edit history)

6 hours ago, 4Hud said:

I didn't find too many actual parts, especially since we fly in and suitcase space is limited but made great contacts that should work out for me. There was an interesting teens/twenties exhaust heater but it was made largely of cast iron, probably would have prompted a closer look at customs I would think.

I've got one in my cad and it weighs a friggen tonne, basically you have an exhaust cut out that directs heat through it and then back out your tail pipe - can't do wonders for the exhaust efficiency :o

Would love to get to Hershey to see if anyone has anything for my cad, but alas the tyranny of distance

11 hours ago, 4Hud said:

I drive in so I’ve never checked to see but is there a shipping kiosk for UPS or FedEx anywhere on the show grounds? You would think something like a UPS store would do good at Hershey for the very reason you state. UPS through customs would not be an issue. I bet more items would sell if there was a convenient way to ship items home.

17 hours ago, chistech said:

excerpt: As I’m cutting through, I see a few wood wheels that looked like they were Olds but turns out they were Plymouth but they were 17”. When I glanced over at one of the tables I saw a bunch of thin trim rings but they were split (the Olds are solid rings). When I asked about them the guy said they were 17”. When I looked through the 7 or 8 rings, low and behold, one was a solid ring and damn if it didn’t look like an Olds. I figured I’d take the chance and purchased the ring. When I got home and compared it to my other five, sure enough, jack pot!

GLAD I made your day !

• Like 1

An Oldsmobile buddy and me make this pilgrimage every year and are rarely disappointed. We start the day at the breakfast tent for caffeine loading and anticipate the excitement. We walk the car corral with a hand truck and a bungee-corded trash barrel  commence the day with the playing of the national anthem. We then proceed through every row on every field eyeballing all the candy - this year I snagged a nice set of original Gold Oldsmobile floor mats and some other Olds odds while he scored an NOS Big Block starter as well as NOS chrome lower quarter trim. It's a long, wonderful exhausting day that never disappoints, until I hit the turnpike on the way home and am hit with a wave of depression that I have to wait another long year to do it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I unfortunately didn't find anything for my cars/ truck that I was willing to pony up for.  I did buy 355 Pieces of literature for my business though with some being some pretty unusual pieces.  Also picked up a few parts.   This was the first year my literature far surpassed what I found in parts.  All in I spent about $1850 for the parts and literature. 

IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

fullsizeoutput_9ec.jpeg

IMG_2477.JPG

• Thanks 1

I did well in sales as i start to move some of my collection to other collectors - to much stuff that I never look at anymore. Anyway, so far as acquisitions go, all of what I added to my own collection I knew was coming and hand delivered paper items from California and Ct. made my day! I have been trying to fill in my collection of souvenir show catalogs for the custom body salons of NY, Chicago, SF, and LA for all the years that those shows were held. I added a fair amount and now the research and stories I do  will be a bit easier. I love to share the information. I also managed to acquire several duplicate salon catalogs so now have some to trade for the ones I still lack. These will soon be listed on this forum.

Best part was seeing and talking to friends , and meeting a lot of people who read my stuff in Hemmings Classic Car and the CCCA magazine. Just wonderful, thanks to all who stopped by to say hello, sincerely appreciated.  I was not able to walk around much but being under a big dry tent made for a great meeting place to visit.

14 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I unfortunately didn't find anything for my cars/ truck that I was willing to pony up for.  I did buy 355 Pieces of literature for my business though with some being some pretty unusual pieces.  Also picked up a few parts.   This was the first year my literature far surpassed what I found in parts.  All in I spent about $1850 for the parts and literature. 

IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

fullsizeoutput_9ec.jpeg

IMG_2477.JPG

Did the Chevrolet nose trim come from a "name your own price" table in the south east corner of the chocolate field? 

This year was simply amazing for me.  I needed to make up for last year when I was mending my broken leg and didn't get to see much of it, so was determined to cover as much as possible.  My best finds were actually on Thursday during the rain.  Vendors with covered spaces were eager to sell and I was braving the elements in search of great automobilia.  One of my best acquisitions this year was a superb early French bronze figurine of a lady in an early automobile.  I'm trying to research some history on it so any help would be appreciated.  One like it was sold at an auction in Germany in 2008 and it was listed as "Hulcan Trophy 1904/05 signed Hippolyte Francois Moreau"  Moreau was a French sculptor and supposedly the original trophy is in the National Motor Museum, Beaulieu.  Not sure how many of these bronze editions exist.  Found a bunch of great spark plugs for my collection, more pins and buttons, and another great early inkwell/pen-tray.  Already making off days on the calendar until next year.

Terry

Hershey Statue.jpg

Hershesy Find Lidded Candy or Tobacco Jar.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here are a few more goodies I managed to bring home this year.  I've collected old duster and auto related buttons for a long time and this was the best I've ever found at Hershey.  The boxed set is only the second one I know of.  They are hand painted under glass and are quite small.  The last pic is a die-cut embossed calendar from 1909.  Amazing it has survived in such fine condition.  This year I also added a nice load of spark plugs to my collection including this set of four top-primer plugs.  Despite the Thursday rain, it was one of the best Hershey meets I've ever been to.

Jay wanted to stop for a photo but I was too busy treasure hunting!

Terry

Hershey Find Forum size Bronze car.jpg

Hershey Find Forum size button selection.jpg

Hershey Find Forum Size Button sest 1.jpg

Hershey Find forum size buttons.jpg

Hershey Find forum size Kissel button.jpg

Hershey Find forum size plugs.jpg

Hershey Forum Size 1909 Calendar.jpg

• Like 2

I got some items on my list, but not everything.  I think my wants may be a bit too new (1977 Lincoln and Cadillac stuff).

Stocked up on Meguiars, got brochures for my 2 77's, some Hirsch engine paint for the Cadillac, some 8 tracks for 25 cents apiece, about 6lbs of R12 for $20, renewed my AACA membership at the booth, and a few other little odds and ends.  I was looking for a very nice set of tail light lenses for the 77 Fleetwood.  No dice.  Also looking for a good used carburetor for the 77 Lincoln (Motorcraft 4350).  I found one rebuilt, but someone dropped it some time before I looked at it and messed up the linkages and choke pulloff.  One guy offered me one for $10, and I said it was in worse shape than what I already have, and then asked if I would take all 6 he had for $10.  I politely declined as I already have 3 that need rebuilding - I just want one that will run temporarily to test the engine after I finish reinstalling the intake.

Although I did not buy it, I saw a repro Boyce Moto Meter with a Franklin emblem on it.  

Think about it...  guess it's not a big seller.

Great show.  Nothing like it in the world!