I Think This Is A Studabaker?

buddie

My friend has a photo of her Great Grandmother's car taken in 1919, I think it is a Stude but there are people who have different ideas and won't take my input seriously. To me it looks like a 1918-1919 Studebaker Big Six.  I need help from those who might know.  Thank you in advance!

car.jpg

The Kenworthy Roamer ID might be based on this photograph from The Old Motor:

image.png.6b9561768167fd0feb1fa90f386642e9.png

The rear side curtain is similar, or the little window is anyway. The mudguards or fenders on the OP photo are quite different in section and in shape and match the Stude quite well. The subject photo doesn't appear to have a nickel plated radiator shell either.

I think the Studebaker is the correct ID.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Spinneyhill, I mentioned all of the differences to him that you mentioned including the running boards, headlamps, wheels and hubs but he is blinded by the side curtains being alike in both photos.  I read that the Roamer was customized to buyer specification when it came to accessories so I believe the top is a custom one and a rare one at that.  Thank you for your reply but he will never believe that the top photo is a Studebaker.

The fellow who swears the vehicle is a Roamer has really ramped up his argument to the point of patronizing me and says he can prove it is not a Studebaker.  I'm waiting for him to prove it is not a Stude, that should be interesting or I may have to eat crow. Thanks everyone for your replies!

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:12 AM, 1927Chevy said:

here is a pic of what i am told is a 1919 big six touring, i got a 1923 big six touring

the hub caps look to be the same as yours, also the wheels have the bolt thru spoke,  the windshield looks diff,  the ladies block some info

studebaker-model-eg-big-six-tourer-2.thumb.jpg.bc691b11da3a77c6fc63ffc1a52f4d93.jpg

As far as I can work out the 1918/19 through to 1921 Big Sixes were all very similar but there were detail changes. The car in this photo is 1920 I think - when they gained cowl lights. The 1921 cars had a reverse curve at the rear of the rear fenders. The car in the mystery photo is one of the first series 1918/19 cars.

• Like 2

Thanks again Spinneyhill, I have been looking everywhere for that photo, I saw it last year and could not find it again. Thank you nzcarnerd, your information is perfectly spot-on. Thanks for the spoke information 1927Chevy, I did not catch that. Thank you Grimy and Bloo.  I appreciate everyone's honest assessment, I did not come here to this great site to be validated, I would have taken my licks for being incorrect and still appreciated the input. This person who disagrees with me is treating me like an ignorant low-life even while I maintain my composure.  Many thanks to you all!!

my kinda girl, lets go fishin!! put the top down!! put on the waders !!  whos gonna filet them probably me !!

me and my father used to filet them put a fresh green stick thru the filet lengthwise and hold them over the wood embers until they started to fall apart off the stick then they were done , no dishes. shake some salt on them and eat them right off the stick, big fat walleye filet.

• Like 1

Here you go 1927Chevy, the rest of the Studebaker angling gang, take your pick! Glad to report that with everyone's help here, Mr Nasty has finally conceded to the car being a Studebaker, hallelujah!  Thanks again everyone!

SHORPY-studebaker-anglers.preview.jpg

No names, I think it is a Studabaker promo shot because of the pennant on the windshield and the flawless clarity of the photo. Rather like saying, look how you can get away and go anywhere in a Stude ?and look what you'll find when you get there.

Edited by buddie
Extra bit of nonsense (see edit history)