Cunningham

alsancle

• 1 month later...

He says its a V-5........so a 1924 or 1925 series car...........dash looks modern as does the cockpit........is it real? or a rebody? No idea, but asking Mike K you will get your answer in five seconds flat. Couldn't find any photos of it on line.......since I have never seen any photos of it, and nothing published on line........best guess is new coachwork.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

He says its a V-5........so a 1924 or 1925 series car...........dash looks modern as does the cockpit........is it real? or a rebody? No idea, but asking Mike K you will get your answer in five seconds flat. Couldn't find any photos of it on line.......since I have never seen any photos of it, and nothing published on line........best guess is new coachwork.

What bodywork is show in the video looks crude so I tend to agree.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Off HYW 50 in Sacramento close to Folsom in the early 1990s there was a dealer that had as one of his vehicles for sale a lime colored Cunningham roadster supposedly once owned by a famous boxer in the early 1900s. I think the car was a mid-1920s model. The asking price was high.   Anyone have an idea what happened to the vehicle? The showroom was closed down many years past and replaced with a furniture store. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/20/2020 at 2:25 PM, John_Mereness said:

Mr. Peter Cunningham's 1928 touring car leaving for the Smithsonian 4/1973

978066072_large(18).thumb.jpg.80afceb1cec0990b1afee609deb02ebe.jpg

And here's what it looks like now in storage at the Smithsonian.   Looks the same except they touched up the paint on the front fender.  

image.png.aca9dc53fe3fedd7f35b12c70baab17c.png

image.png.e8c9c8ea035bb1249e3458eb79cdf2df.png   

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I think the Cunningham is cool but my car adviser "Mr. Ed" drove one once and didn't walk away impressed.

I got to play with two of them very recently.......and can confirm my previous impressions.........fun to look at, not so great of a ride............

Cunningham cars cars are fine, rare, unusual, well built CCCA Classic's. They in my opinion, are "heavy" handling. In my world......and please understand, this is only me interpretation of how I collect cars.......... I want cars that are comfortable to do 200 to 300 miles per day. The Cunningham is more of a 75 mile per day car.......and at the end of the 75 you will feel it. I like the upstate New York connection, and their in house coachwork was better than average in style and quality for the era. The Cunningham speedsters are particularly attractive car........

49 minutes ago, Michaewh said:

Thank you for that additional context.  Hopefully, I'll manage with my 1919, Inside Drive Limousine.  I'm planning a drive from Southern California to Norther Idaho over a 10 day period (~150 miles per day).

Depending on the roads, 150 a day isn't terrible......leave early while it's cool. An inside drive limo is going to be very warm at best..............post photos of your trip....a Cunningham doing that kind of milage is unheard of in the last fifty years. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

• 2 months later...