Glidden Tour -- Twin Falls, Idaho

jrbartlett

There were about a half-dozen cars from Texas on the recent Glidden Tour in Twin Falls, Idaho, and we had a great time. The scenery was unbelievable, and included deserts, mountains, river valleys, the Snake River gorge, Shoshone Falls, City of Rocks, Craters of the Moon, Mt. Harrison, and some of the richest agricultural land found anywhere (thanks to irrigation water from the Snake). Some of the roads we drove had little traffic on them, and the weather was perfect -- clear with temperatures in the 70s. There were small, rustic towns with delightful home-spun cafes, contrasted with the incredible Sun Valley Lodge with its 1930s-vintage style and luxury. I'll post a few pictures in a week or two. 

After the Tow-Vehicle went down near Rawlins, Wyoming, we DROVE the 1941 Cadillac about 500 miles to Twin Falls, another almost 1,000 miles on the tour, and then almost 500 more miles back to retrieve the Excursion Diesel. 

James is right with regard to the fantastic scenery, and we got to enjoy it "Top-Down" in the yellow '41.

Despite all the miles, I would do it all over again!

6027D730-61C2-4F40-9834-F0C2DE4EA203.jpeg

D73C1FE1-79FA-4581-A415-516EE711910C.jpeg

F1C0CF53-6F7B-431E-A2A1-7C6413966C85.jpeg

13128FA9-90F3-4FFF-B2E4-ED452642025A.jpeg

9818B493-90C1-48B1-B556-1698EA76B97C.jpeg

EE289068-42FD-4F94-8EAB-50BDE716076E.jpeg

1D1D18CD-B230-4E3E-B173-1B7D6B5EFAA6.jpeg

0CD58BE6-983B-40DC-8B0D-7FC069DAE103.jpeg

Edited by Marty Roth
Add pics (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2019 at 3:48 PM, Dynaflash8 said:

Marty: I saw your car parked in front of a bank here.  Did you have to stop for gas money? 😀

Hi Earl, 

Which of my cars did you see, and where is the bank?

I've been at Dale's side since long before the Sentimental tour

Marty,  How is Dale doing?  Judy is scheduled for her second surgery on March 4.  We plan to fly to Philadelphia (I wasn't going but Judy wanted to) and go to Ocala, and then we'll be logged down for 6-8 weeks ourselves.  And yes, it was the 41 Cadillac on some tour tour that Jim Bartlett wrote about.  Looked like it was more recent that the last Sentimental Tour and that's why it had me wondering.  Earl

He probably saw the yellow '41 Caddy on this year's AAA Glidden tour in Idaho. Bill Preston drove the '41 on the Sentimental,  November 4-9, and none of our cars have been out of the garage since then. Dale's surgery was December 19th and she came home after rehab yesterday. She is making slow progress but thankfully is still with us - a reason to always seek out a second (or third, fourth, and even a fifth) medical opinion. Had we not, we would be attending a very different gathering by now. Of course we all wish Judy the very best for her upcoming procedure, and pray for the skill of her surgeon.

I just realized that the photo I posted above was taken while waiting at a train crossing after a wrong turn which had taken us many miles out of our way on the last day of the 2018 Glidden. Sometimes a wrong turn will lead you to even more interesting sites - and this would not have been the bank where Jim saw us. Only one other car followed us during that multi-mile error.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

It was good to see Dale at Philadelphia, Marty.  We're going to make it to Ocala and a week later Judy goes over to Tampa General for surgery.  After that I'm washing clothes, dishes, cooking TV dinners, etc. for a good while.  She won't be able to travel for 6-9 weeks, but hopefully then after two surgeries its over and done with after 7 years of, as you say, looking for the right doctors.  Surgery #1 went perfect.  Man, that '41 Cadillac is certainly a tough car and you've convinced me of that.  If it could sing, it would be a country song called...."I've been everywhere Man, I've been everywhere.................😀