1932 Chevy clutch squeeling question. Please help!

34studepres

Was it making noise before replacing the throw out bearing? If it is a nos bearing (not a ball bearing type) I have been told it is good to apply oil in the flip cap for a period of time so it gets to the bearing material. Some say to soak it in oil but I have not tried that.

It seems to me if the clutch is pushed in the pilot bearing is being used not the throw out bearing but I may not be thinking it through.

Dave

Thanks for the advice. I'll try adding some oil as you suggested. No, it's not the 'ball type', but rather a disc looking thing with a hole in the center with an insert in the donut that looks to be made of something that's not metal, but rather some composite material.

The only places I could find to put oil are the 1/2" plug in the first photo located in the center of the photo just under that arm; and, where the blue piece of tape with the arrow drawn on it is. I started the car and it still whines when you push in the clutch. And the faster you rev the engine with the clutch in, the faster the whine gets. I am missing something here? How do you lubricate the thing that making the squeal without pulling the trani out?

11111111111111116665 003.JPG

11111111111111116665 005.JPG

The flip cap oiler is on the bearing it self. I am holding it open in the picture below. The early throw out bearings had replaceable carbon and the ones like that in my stock have no oiler. I suppose those were the type to put in oil but I don't know.

Does the squealing last for just a second or continue all the time the clutch is in?

Was it making noise before, why did you replace?

Dave

clutch bearing.jpg

If you remove the clutch inspection cover on the top of the bell housing under the toe board, you should be able to access the Oiler on the throw out bearing. When replacing the bearing, I always polish the throw out ring the bearing rides on when the clutch is depressed. A few drops of oil applied directly to the face of the bearing when you’re in there is fine too. Just don’t flood it with oil. As was already stated, the squealing should go away once the new bearing face gets “fitted” or worn in to the ring.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)

Thank you for your advice. Yesterday I did takeoff that inspection cover and discovered that indeed there was a little flip up cover where you can put in oil. So I did. The next day after I let the oil sit in there overnight I started the car in about 60% of the noise went away . This morning I went out there and started it again and now I would say 85% of the noise went away, so apparently it worked. Thank you everyone for your detailed comments and helping a fellow car collector out. Tom 

• Like 2