Spark Plug Just keeps Turning

One plug in my Riviera's 425 just keeps on turning - doesn't matter which way. I assume the threads are messed up on either the head or plug or both. Three questions: How do I get the plug out? If needed, how do I fix the threads in the head? Can you helicoil a plug hole?

Thanks in advance,

Don

Good news and bad news. The good news is yes you can helicoil the head. The bad news is you should not mess with this anymore as it will result in little bits of metal going down into your cyl. Pull the head or have it pulled.

Push it out from combustion chamber side while turning counterclockwise from outside. My 2 bits is to pull the head if you are in love with this car and it's a keeper. if it's a beater, I'd tap the hole as it sits, then hook up some ¼" tubing to the suction end of a pump and get rid of as many chips as I could. Taking that head off is no small job.

I had a similar problem with a Ford flathead..used an impact wrench while putting side pressure on the socket and it grabbed and backed out...may not work on a nail head with the recessed plugs. If you do get it out without removing the head, coating your drill and tap with heavy grease will minimize metal chips in the combustion chamber.

Willie

Actually the engine is in a stand as I am doing a complete rebuild. I tried pulling with vice grips while turning counterclockwise - no luck. I now have the head off and will try pushing from the chamber side, maybe I can get more pressure on it that way and make the plug grab. I don't have an impact wrench so can't try that.