Dennis in CT

84 Rolls-Total Electrical Blackout-Need Advice

So I have a very well maintained 84 Rolls Silver Spirt that is a Sunday every once in a while driver. Took it out for a drive the other day - parked it - came back an hour later and turned key - no power. Nothing. Not even the annoying buzzer.  Fortunately it was parked next to my shop - tested battery - totally fine. Cleaned terminals, still nothing. Have the factory service manuals, but they are rather useless really and I need to know what I should be looking for between the battery (in the trunk) and ignition. I literally have NO power. Not even a dome light. Checked fuses, relays, even pulled the dash apart and pulled out the ignition switch, which appears fine. Any Rolls folks out or anyone else have a thought of where to look next? My only English car. Thanks

Check the wiring diagram for a circuit breaker with a reset button.  Over 30 years ago, a lady friend's 1975 Olds Cutlass (yes, I know, not nearly the same car) had the same ailment after a stay in a parking garage, and she had it towed to my place.  The circuit breaker was just above the driver's side kick panel on that car.  When I reset the breaker, the courtesy lights came on and I knew we had it fixed.  Near the battery I found an old cheap pair of pliers, so I suspected that someone tried to highgrade the battery (remove the good battery and replace with a junker) while the car was unattended, but the miscreant had accidentally touched the positive and negative, then abandoned the attempt.

Even for a RR, there may well be a similar circuit breaker, but from your description I have no clue as to how it may have been tripped--your next project if it is not the battery or a connection thereof.

And another possibility is a fusible link incorporated into the wiring near the battery.

13 hours ago, Dennis in CT said:

So I have a very well maintained 84 Rolls Silver Spirt that is a Sunday every once in a while driver. Took it out for a drive the other day - parked it - came back an hour later and turned key - no power. Nothing. Not even the annoying buzzer.  Fortunately it was parked next to my shop - tested battery - totally fine. Cleaned terminals, still nothing. Have the factory service manuals, but they are rather useless really and I need to know what I should be looking for between the battery (in the trunk) and ignition. I literally have NO power. Not even a dome light. Checked fuses, relays, even pulled the dash apart and pulled out the ignition switch, which appears fine. Any Rolls folks out or anyone else have a thought of where to look next? My only English car. Thanks

I have several of these Rolls Royce and Bentley cars from this era. Do you know that cutoff switch located inside the trunk on the passenger side? If the switch is turned off, it cuts everything out, sort of a safety system so nobody can hot wire the car. Sometimes, this switch just craps out, just like that. Go in your truck and run a tester to this switch. I had this fail on two of my cars. It was a simple fix to what I first thought was a complete meltdown of the entire electrical system. Not a good thought with a Rolls Royce.
  •