Where to buy Penrite water pump grease

ols car dog

Using a bit of method, you could chose your grease.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/798/grease-selection  gives some guidance.

Calculate the DN = (rpm)*(bearing bore in mm). RPM is probably twice engine speed because the pulley is half the diameter of the crankshaft pulley. Your bush in the water pump is probably less than an inch, 5/8" even, but lets use an inch = 25 mm. So DN = (6000 to 7000) x (16 to 25 mm) = 100,000 to 175,000. Using the chart at the link, you want a grease of base oil viscosity of about ISO 60 to 100. Using Fig. 2 at the link, you don't need EP additives. Now go to Table 1 in the link. You have DN = 100,000 to 175,000 and your operating temperature is ca 200 oF so you need an NLGI 3 grease. Next, what sort of grease? It says simple lithium grease might operate will up to ca 250 oF while complex lithium grease are best up to ca 350 oF.

So you are looking for NLGI 3 grease with base oil of about ISO 60 to 100 viscosity. It should have lithium complex thickeners. Another thing to look for is high tack, so it will stick in place and resist water washout.

I am off to look up grease tackiness and how to specify it. I hope to be back!

SKF can help you understand grease technical talk.

http://www.skf.com/group/products/lubrication-solutions/lubricants/understanding-grease-technical-data/index.html

OK, there is a water-washout specification ASTM D-1264. A lower result means less water is washed out.

Amsoil's GWR (synthetic water resistant grease) has a result of 0.9%.

Lucas Oil's "Red 'n' Tacky" grease has an ASTM D1264 result of "<5[%] typical". So it would appear the Amsoil GWR sticks well. It is a lithium complex but is NLGI 1.5. It is designed for roller bearings, such as wheel bearings.

I read here that the Lubriplate "100" series greases are "for plain bearings, cams, slides and similar applications up to operating temperatures of 150°F. " i.e. they are not suitable for an automotive water pump operating at temperatures of ca 180-200 ºF. You might also like to look at charts such as Table VI here, (see below) where it says calcium greases have only fair heat resistance while lithium complex greases have Excellent heat resistance. In addition, there is no water washout test data available nor other important data. I would not use it. @ols car dog, where did you read about calcium in relation to foaming in a grease?

image.thumb.png.fd6ed1e9e18b601ecc69e1dc7a77eafd.png

Another grease mentioned above is Penrite Water Pump grease. It is now probably called INDGREASE LITH R3. This stuff looks good but there is no water washout data available. It is made for operating temperatures of 20 to 130 ºC.

The moto here is to do your homework. There is plenty of information available if you can sit down and read it. I have learnt much in reading up on this topic. Thank you @ols car dog for asking about it!

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

It will be a poor grease compared to a modern grease. I think your pump would last longer with a modern grease in it.

What sort of water pumps? Automotive? You will probably find a modern grease will hold its viscosity at operating temperature and wash out less than an old grease. That Texaco grease probably has a fair bit of clay (kaolinite) filler in it.

It would be fun to find out what was in it though! i.e. get it analysed.

I thought water pump grease was intended to melt at a fairly low temperature. I have never heard of one that was not calcium based. The grease is going to wind up in the coolant. I was cautioned in the past not to use "waterproof" grease, such as one might use in boat trailer wheel bearings, because over time it would coat the radiator, drastically reducing cooling efficiency. Is that wrong?

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

And here we go down the rabbithole second guessing ourselves and the companies that make the stuff so that every one is now too scared to pick anything to use in they're waterpumps because it might be wrong and burn up a water pump or coat a radiator or cause cats and mice to fall in love. That happens alot around here where people overthink it and suddenly nobody can make a decision anymore because of too many questions and no real answers.

I personally would trust Penrite and Restoration Supply. If they say it is water pump grease then Im going to use it in my water pump and just assume that the world wont end.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1