pesd

16 valve blown turbo? white smoke

OK, first thing...you are trying to remove the turbo due to suspecting it being bad, right?

From this picture I'd venture to say that the turbo isn't the problem. Of course pictures and diagnosing a complex mechanical system usually don't go hand in hand, but, hear me out.

I'm specifically looking at the turbine wheel. Number 1, it's dry. It's not caked with carbon or oil and it's not tinted green from coolant. Number 2, it doesn't appear that the turbine wheel has contacted the housing. There's no clear marks and the blade tips look good. Yes, the housing looks like it's slightly damp with oil residue, but that doesn't mean it's the turbo.

If you grab the hub of the turbine, does it move in any direction other than simply spinning? If not, I wouldn't pull the turbo as most likely it's not the issue.

As for removing those turbo bolts...I've personally never gotten them off without cutting or snapping them. Even on an engine stand this isn't fun.

Edited by Reaper1 (see edit history)

Looking at all options, does anyone know of aftermarket turbo that will fit ( work with) the 16 valve?

Thanks Reaper1, sent the question before I saw your reply.

I did wind up taking the exhaust manifold off. got the turbo out, definitely shot, lots of play up and down, ordered a rebuild kit but have not completely dissembled it.

a couple friends think the impeller fins might be bent. I'm hoping they might be ok, nothing to compare to.

options;

$120  Rebuild it using the $120 kit and hope that it runs properly (assuming the shaft and fins arn't that far gone)

$350  send it to Chris in Florida Turbos Unlimited who does rebuilds if possible (assuming the shaft and fins arn't that far gone)

$1000 New turbo I've seen online Rick at RDI performance (lots of TC parts)

maybe an aftermarket option? 

turb3.jpg

turb4.jpg

Yeah, it looks like the compressor did make some contact with the housing.

My personal suggestion is to go through Chris at Turbos Unleashed. Great customer service, vendor that supports our community, great warranty, competitive pricing.

As for aftermarket options: none that are direct bolt-on that I'm aware of.

Thanks,

I have already talked to Chris, he sounds very knowledgeable and professional, I will most likely ship this off to him to see if its rebuild able.

thx again,  peter

• Like 1

Correction,    Chris in Arizona at Turbo's Unleashed,  Sorry Chris!