CatBird

Trailer height and wind?

Bill.....looks very nice, and it should serve you well for many years. I would put two coats of EPOXY floor paint down, with some sand mixed in to prevent slipping. I would also paint the walls eggshell white floor to ceiling. On the wall where the driver door will open against many people put some very thin carpet to prevent the door handle or painted door edge from damaging paint.......all my cars only contact the door handle, so I just use a towel on the handle getting in and out. Lots of tie downs and tracks to strap things down to the floor and to the wall are a good idea. I have my winch set up as a temporary situation, as I don’t often use it, so it “drops in place” when I need it with some special heavy wiring and connections to a battery. Works great, and I don’t trip over it like I did for years with my other trailer. You need to inspect the trailer often for cracks in the frame, and loose bolts and screws. I carry lots of extras for the trailer.......parts, break away switch, cable, and battery. Flares, triangles, flashing led’s, ect for safety. And two important things........I usually never buy cheap tools, but for my trailer I have a four ton Harbor Freight  floor jack in a home made box, and a twenty ton bottle jack also, and don’t forget the cribbing........lots of 2x4;4x4,and 6x6 wooden blocks for jacking and wheel chocks......you can never have enough of them. A solar battery charger for the winch, jack battery and break away are a good idea. I haven’t done it yet, but I think I am going to install a rear view camera on the truck and trailer, for both safety and convenience while on the road and hooking up the trailer. Don’t forget the weight distributing hitch and bars.....a must. I have built in cabinets in my trailer, and an added tool box, along with all the regular extras like a compressor, ect. I carry spare desiel fuel......three special five gallon racing jugs from VP fuel, as in the past I have been very low on fuel in the boondocks on a weekend night without easy access to diesel fuel. Don’t forget the HAYLON fire extinguisher......two or three......best thing in the world. My best, Ed

PS- On th back door of my trailer I put a fair amount of additional reflector tape......in the red and white pattern. Too many people get rear ended today, so I have a very “clean look” on the trailer sides, but the rear door is very reflective for safety.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Bill.....looks very nice, and it should serve you well for many years. I would put two coats of EPOXY floor paint down, with some sand mixed in to prevent slipping. I would also paint the walls eggshell white floor to ceiling.

<<<< Going to Home Depot and get the paint you suggest.

On the wall where the driver door will open against many people put some very thin carpet to prevent the door handle or painted door edge from damaging paint.......all my cars only contact the door handle, so I just use a towel on the handle getting in and out.

<<<< Excellent idea. But normally I don't open the car door. I winch into the trailer, but will have some thin carpet to pad if needed is a great idea. Awful sound when painted metal touches trailer metal!

Lots of tie downs and tracks to strap things down to the floor and to the wall are a good idea.

<<<< My trailer only came with only four D-Rings because I did not know where to add them for our cars. I am adding four more, welded to the frame. I have ordered eight sets of five foot 50,000 pound E-Tracks from Amazon and the most heavy duty E-Track connectors to my straps.

I have my winch set up as a temporary situation, as I don’t often use it, so it “drops in place” when I need it with some special heavy wiring and connections to a battery. Works great, and I don’t trip over it like I did for years with my other trailer.

<<<<< I have a spare tire compartment flush in the floor. It will easily hold a 12,000 Harbor Freight winch with a wireless remote. Both you and Traveler Jim like this winch, even though it is beyond overkill, but it is smooth and extra features. With handles, it can be moved as needed. I can also have a deep cycle battery in the floor compartment for the breakaway extra LED lights and tongue jack. A solar panel on the roof (well sealed from rain penetrations). Three way light switches so I can access interior lighting from the back door or from the walk through door.

As tripping over a taut cable, I have often tripped -- have we all? But my greatest fear is that coming from the far side of the trailer, tripping over the cable and falling through the open walk through door! (Maybe it could be called a "fall through door."

You need to inspect the trailer often for cracks in the frame, and loose bolts and screws. I carry lots of extras for the trailer.......parts, break away switch, cable, and battery. Flares, triangles, flashing led’s, ect for safety. And two important things........I usually never buy cheap tools, but for my trailer I have a four ton Harbor Freight  floor jack in a home made box,

<<<< Love the idea! Floor jack in its own wood box, I think you suggested rope handles. These damn jacks can roll around inside a trailer. 

and a twenty ton bottle jack also, and don’t forget the cribbing........lots of 2x4;4x4,and 6x6 wooden blocks for jacking and wheel chocks......you can never have enough of them. A solar battery charger for the winch, jack battery and break away are a good idea. I haven’t done it yet, but I think I am going to install a rear view camera on the truck and trailer, for both safety and convenience while on the road and hooking up the trailer.

<<<< Also being done I also had the trailer manufacturer add bright LED backup lights. I want to know where I am backing up, especially at night, and want other people around know the same. Too often foolish people think we can see better than we can. I am also adding a backup beeper wired into my backup lights. Looking for a good backup camera. So far, the wireless don't work so well with a long trailer and a long tow vehicle.

Don’t forget the weight distributing hitch and bars.....a must. I have built in cabinets in my trailer, and an added tool box, along with all the regular extras like a compressor, ect. I carry spare diesel fuel......three special five gallon racing jugs from VP fuel, as in the past I have been very low on fuel in the boondocks on a weekend night without easy access to diesel fuel. Don’t forget the HAYLON fire extinguisher......two or three......best thing in the world. My best, Ed

<<<< Yep, Yep, Yep!

PS- On the back door of my trailer I put a fair amount of additional reflector tape......in the red and white pattern. Too many people get rear ended today, so I have a very “clean look” on the trailer sides, but the rear door is very reflective for safety.

<<<< I also had the manufacturer add turn indicators with bright LED lights on both sides of the trailer about where the axles. These come on when I am braking and blink when changing lanes when a "Four Wheeler" (big truck jargon) may be beside me when I need to change lanes.

So I am off to Home Depot and buying epoxy floor paint, some sand, and some eggshell white for the walls. Maybe some 4x6 horse stall pads with home made frames to easily replace when oil soaked.  A tidy appearance. 

Edited December 2 by edinmass (see edit history)

• Like 1