Small Disaster on the way to the Colac rally today.

Mattml430

The carpet has soaked up my tears  now. So while traveling along the freeway minding my own business at about 85kph traveling to the Colac dodge rally, I saw a flash in my rear view mirror and then about 3 seconds later I got an almighty shunt from the side. A lady had lost control of here car on a straight road and ploughed straight into me. Everybody was ok which is the most important thing. I was completely gutted after I looked at my car all smashed up. Everything is fixable I guess at the end off the day. Could of been a lot worse. 

9F564167-F5B5-4DFF-BC40-795427B89D1E.jpeg

59AA0CF2-24B0-4A5E-87FD-AA994F6DE056.jpeg

Mate, you are so lucky, it could have been a lot worse at 85k/h. Especially if it was up here in the sunny state, some crazy drivers up here.

I feel your pain though. It looks like you wont be bored for the near future.

• Like 1

Yes definitely sitting in my lounge chair and not a hospital bed is definitely a blessing. If she hit a wheel or something it could of been real bad. I was quite amazed to be honest how well it took the hit. Her car was taken away on a tilt tray. Probably be written off. I was lucky enough to drive home. I’m not going to the rest of the rally I was just so gutted after that,  I didn’t think I’d be very good company. Thanks for your thoughts fellas you get so attached to these old cars it hurts seeing them beaten up. 

Man that just sucks so much!  I went up to the rally for a few hours and I think you’re would have been one of the best!  Hope it’s not too hard to repair - oh man I can just see all that time on polished stainless and the paint:(. Shout if there’s anything I can do to help!

• Like 1

Thanks Richard will do. I would of loved to of got there today but I still had 2 1/2 hours drive to go and I was worried if there was more damage than I could see it’s a long way from home. When I got home it had a noisy bearing in the gear box, we’ll noisier than it was before I started. So maybe the shunt, strained an already strained bearing. There’s a view bent bits underneath. The timber running board took the brunt of the impact. 

F0F364B4-79E3-4CCA-A27B-62E6CC47331B.jpeg

1A53DFC4-E8F0-4AFF-B67A-72E0E2359AC3.jpeg

7 hours ago, RichBad said:

Cricket, that’s a pain- was that the box you just did?  At least the woods a little easier to repair than your other running boards.  Has that cracked part of the chassis or is it just a mount for the running board brackets?

I haven’t fitted the rebuilt box yet so this will be an ideal opportunity to do it. It has just bent the cross member. 

Matt, I'm glad you were unscathed.  It appears that the wood crushing must have absorbed a lot of the energy.  It looks quite fixable but it does take time away from driving and enjoying.  I hope you can get it back on the road soon.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the approval to start fixing the Victory on Friday. I’ve decided to remove the old door skin and roll a new one up. I’ve cut it about an inch under the door bead and will join it in there. The bottom door frame was also a little bent and rusty so I’ve replaced that. The first skin I rolled up ended up about 2mm to skinny so I’ll allow a little more for when I shrink the folded edges. A learning curve!!  

63E46D28-ADE3-4886-84A6-E365E44F76B1.jpeg

CA37A113-9FD5-4E0A-8DDB-62954EBEFB0A.jpeg

34D0BCCE-A8B2-4347-B921-BB43CEFC6F75.jpeg

• Like 3

Door skin back on and actually lines up. Wrapped around really nicely. My welded  join could of been a little nicer , but a small smear of filler and it’s all good. 

Nice to have it getting back to where it was. It was horrible walking past it in the garage smashed. 

C62BEF1D-1378-4D61-96C0-6EF1476FED5A.jpeg

6E23268C-218E-4E80-8BBC-16B65B7BBB00.jpeg

2B1D0128-E7A8-41D5-9F57-B3D70D19849D.jpeg

• Like 1

Getting closer to having (Doddy) my wife named her that haha, back together as she should be. Replaced the damaged bottom sill outersection, also got the running board replaced. Couldn’t get any Oregon that wide so I went to some marine grade ply and resin coated it. Door is painted also so now just putting if all back together. 

Can’t wait to have it finished. 

1D7F96D4-9121-4647-8C76-09DAC7E6D50E.jpeg

A6CE299F-F2C2-4E50-B934-129A2097B8A3.jpeg

9106B7D7-E90E-49CB-A5DD-894EEBBF79FB.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeC5 said:

You are doing a fine job there Matt.  You have some great sheet metal skills.  Was all this done with just a roller and brake?  Or did you use an English Wheel?

Thanks Mike. 

I used the pan brake then the Shrinker on the folded edge to get the edge shape and then the English wheel to give it some shape and strength in the middle of the door. My first skin was about 1-2mm to skinny so I had to do another one. But it’s good practice. Haha. 

I used a bead roller for the sill and the panbrake. 

45 minutes ago, RichBad said:

Nice job, looks good!  How’s the other going?

Thanks mate it’s going well I’ve just put the new spoke wheels on this morning ready for the new white walls tomorrow or Tuesday. Just about to fit the running boards now. It’s getting close to finished, I only have 3 weeks until my daughters wedding. 

3C95D07B-D5DE-41D1-AA61-A4B87A2FD7A2.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MikeC5 said:

You have put your well equipped shop to good use.  Have you only done this kind of work as a hobby or professional?

I have been in sheet metal for quite a view years building custom trailers. I owe a lot of my sheet metal skills to a very good friend of mine that is no longer with us but , I was lucky enough that he showed me so many tricks and tips. He was amazing he could build anything out of stainless steel. This sort of panel work is pretty new to me but it all works on a similar principle. Having the correct tools does help a lot. I really enjoy this kind of work more than anything I’ve ever done. Everything you pull apart has so much history and your imagination  can just runs away with what and where the car has been. 

I built this anchor for my friends family for his ashes. He did stainless steel work on boats and just loved boats the ocean and fishing. 

It was just a little thankyou to him from me for everything he taught me. 40D5D322-23D4-4A79-8200-596A476A0CF1.thumb.jpeg.26768b75bb750df47903be9a409147c7.jpeg