Sign in to follow this  
1935Packard

Hood strap on a '35 car -- where does it attach?

'35 senior cars have straps that connect from the firewall to the hood, I assume to keep the hood from lifting up too much.  You can see the strap here in a picture from the web on the far right, to the right of the bijur system and then disappearing up to the raised hood: 

930382892_ScreenShot2018-10-06at10_01_22PM.png.149f3ec310e06efd9c3944946cdb6d05.png

My car is missing its straps.  I wanted to get new straps, and I was wondering, where on the hood does the strap attach?   I can see where it attaches on the firewall/cowl, but I can't see where it attaches to the hood.

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

Don't know about 1935 senior and newer but on 1934 and back for a few years the end attaches to the same little fixture that holds the rear inside hood rubber bumper pad.

On 10/9/2018 at 5:03 AM, Owen_Dyneto said:

Don't know about 1935 senior and newer but on 1934 and back for a few years the end attaches to the same little fixture that holds the rear inside hood rubber bumper pad.

Thanks, Dave.   There's a hood bumper pad on the middle of the hood, but that's really far away from the cowl area.  When I lift up the hood for a place to attach the strap, this is what I see; It's not clear to me where it attaches.  (Sorry for 83 years of dirt/grime, etc.)

IMG_9225.thumb.jpg.ab1642976f392ebbb2e3cf4e8b8c30db.jpg

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

On 11/5/2018 at 6:02 PM, Dave Mitchell said:

It attaches to the hood latch rod which you can see in your photo with the hook on the end. The strap clips to that.

Thanks, Dave!  I can't find anyone who sells the clip for the strap -- or the straps generally -- but I plan to copy one and just do my best.