Kellygreen

39LZ headlight switch removal

All the functions of the headlight switch work except the tail lights and circuit to the dash lights.  The dimmer rheostat for the dash lights works as it was tested out of car.

Looking up from below, I believe the farthest terminal inward on the switch housing, (only one on the right side and three terminals on left side,) ; is the tail light/dash light terminal, if so, the double lead wire seems to be soldered onto the headlight switch terminal, so I have to remove the switch assembly.

I unscrewed the chrome bezel nut on the the dash side of the light shaft exposing a brass fitting.

1. How do you get the head light shaft / rod out of switch assembly so you can drop assembly down from the back?

the knob does not seem to be threaded on.

Pull knob out fully, reach hand under dash, squeeze brass flexible spring , as it is squeezed, it releases 

knob shaft lock..

0000668_1949-ford-mercury-headlight-switch_360.jpeg

thanks Mssr. Bwatoe

but I am not getting where this brass spring is located.  I've got these big "ham hands" and it is a very tight fit for me to get hand and fingers up behind switch.

In your photo above, is the photo of the switch as it is oriented behind dash?

what I can see of mine,, the screw terminals face upward, not sideways.

In photo, in lower left, I see the brass external threaded fitting (which the chrome bezel screws onto), and I'm guessing that the knurled brass piece is behind the dash.

the other brass piece in your photo is attached to the switch "box" and I see where the rod would enter.  Is this what is squeezed?

The picture has switch sideways....the brass hoop must be squeezed to it's steel backing, thus allowing the slight notch in the knob 

shaft to slide past the hoop....Nothing on these cars is easy, under bottom ---maybe remove nut behind knob, allow switch to slide toward ft, read hand under and feel for the shaft...and brass lock hoop. 

0000668_1949-ford-mercury-headlight-switch_360.jpeg.4ad4cf11240288bf43782b4ab309ebf5.jpeg

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)