1931 CADILLAC PARTS FOR SALE AT HERSHEY

AlanM

• 1 year later...

1931 Cadillac carburetors are very difficult to deal with, even if you have years of experience. The reason you car is missing them is :

they failed due to metal fatigue and are no longer any good.

they were removed to be rebuilt and lost.

they were sold because they were the most valuable part of the car and they were going to swap them out.

Which ever the reason, it’s very, very difficult to install other carburetors and get it right........and, it’s going to be almost as expensive. You might as well go back to stock.

On 6/13/2020 at 2:24 PM, Mohd faraaz said:

Hi I'm looking for 1931 cadillac v12 carburetor can u help? 

Doug Greer I believe has a set when I was visiting him last fall. They are for a 12 or a 16  I can not remember I guess getting old. 905-372-5878 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

A few years ago there was a pair of Carter BB-1 updraft carbs on ebay that were adapted to a Cadillac V-12.  Those may have been the best updraft carbs ever made and lots of guys use them on their  brass-era and later cars for touring. Since each carb on a V-12 is only supplying six cylinders,they should be able to supply the required amount of fuel. If I had a V-12 and needed carbs and wasn't trophy chasing,that is the direction I would go.

24 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

I have seldom been as frustrated as I was trying to get a pair of '31 Cadillac V-12 carbs operating properly.

After spending a couple of hundred hours working on the junk carbs GM put on the Cadillacs, you get pretty good at them. That said, I still can't stand them. I can usually get them running well on the first shot......stopping the leaks.......thats another story.

The 1931 carbs were made for Cadillac by Johnson. If I ever get to retire, I am going to try to find out WHY Cadillac used Johnson carburetors; there must be a brother-in-law or something somewhere!

As to what else may be used:

In the realm of updraft carburetors, some opt to replace the 1931 Johnsons with the 1932 (and later) Detroit Lubricators. Very expensive, but they fit, and they are calibrated for the Cadillac engine.

Because of the issues involved with the Johnsons, and the cost of the Detroits; maybe 30 or so years ago, we had a replacement set available. We started with a universal marine Zenith (we had a bunch of these from a buy-out) with an adjustable main metering jet. We then used the throttle arms on the original Detroits as patterns, and cast throttle arms to fit the Cadillac engine to replace the original arms on the Zenith. The throttle bodies on the Zenith also required modification. But once done, the carbs just plain WORKED. We ran out of Zeniths of this type, with no additional ones available, so sent the pattern arms to another company.

The last conversion we helped do may sound like heresy to Cadillac owners. We had a customer with a V-12 and NO carbs, and a previously heavily modified vehicle. Would have cost a fortune to restore the car to original. He wanted to drive it WITHOUT doing the restoration. We suggested turning the intakes upside down, and using a pair of Carter W-1 carbs from the late 1940's. It worked, and worked well.

I realize the focus of these forums is keeping things as original as possible; and I mostly agree with that focus. But when it comes to the Johnsons used by Cadillac, I firmly believe there are cars to show (NEVER started), and cars to drive. The Johnsons are fine on the cars never started; but replacing them with something more reliable just might mean we save another antique car! (MOO).

Like Ed, I could make them work (at least for a few minutes), but would never ever consider telling a customer they were reliable.

Jon

On 6/18/2020 at 1:48 PM, carbking said:

I realize the focus of these forums is keeping things as original as possible; and I mostly agree with that focus. But when it comes to the Johnsons used by Cadillac, I firmly believe there are cars to show (NEVER started), and cars to drive. The Johnsons are fine on the cars never started; but replacing them with something more reliable just might mean we save another antique car! (MOO).

Like Ed, I could make them work (at least for a few minutes), but would never ever consider telling a customer they were reliable.

Jon

Jon - the Johnsons are reliable........you can almost guarantee someone without experiance will burn their car to the ground 99 percent of the time.............99 percent for that carburetor is a fairly good result! 🤔

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

Jon - the Johnsons are reliable........you can almost guarantee someone without experiance will burn their car to the ground 99 percent of the time.............99 percent for that carburetor is a fairly good result! 🤔

Okay, I'll bite...

I acquired a 1924 V-63 coupe in August of 2019 and I have been driving it to gain confidence and familiarity with the car.

It has a Johnson carburetor.

What advice would you give to a Cadillac owner regarding the Johnson carburetors?

I bought this car to drive it and enjoy it; how do I keep from burning my car to the ground?

Thanks

Joe

Joe......it’s a long conversation........and, it’s likely to burn the garage and the house if it’s attached. It’s easier to do a phone call. First off........you need two or three HAYLON extinguishers, you need that much firefighting ability. Never drive the car without plenty of fire suppression. Send me a PM and include your number and a time to call. Ed, 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 12:19 PM, Mohd faraaz said:

Can u share email address? 

I was at Dougs place this past week and he still has them. His are a replacement Zenith carb email him at     dgr44@bell.net 

I notice Johnson carbs are always getting a bad wrap about flooding and rightfully so. I have had my fair share of the same problem until a good friend brought his 87 year old father to help me out. Cecil Simmons was a restorer of 8 and 12 over a 55 year period up north here being a retired and crusty at times engineer who had a good knowledge  of Cadillac. 
Anyways one thing Cecil did was through out that little brass clip that holds the needle in place. With gravity feed at around 1 1/2 lb gas line pressure and the poorly designed tubular float with little leverage. Not much for the needle to get stuck open in its cavity to let the carb flood over. Let the needle float freely and make sure the float is set at the correct height.  

So get rid of the brass clip to the scrap bin and it should hopefully solve your flooding problems as it has mine. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Joe......there are probably five guys on the planet who are familiar with the two stage hinge and clip on the needle.......that said......I would never run one without it.........unless it has a Grosse Jet in it.........which ALL my Cadillacs past and present have..........and, for the record.......Cadillac Johnson carbs are worse than trash......and it’s asinine that Cadillac used them...........Beyond stupid......for the worlds largest corporation.