'90 Climate Control Issues

ncgirl05

I'm sorry if this subject has been beaten to death but I am having a very difficult time using the search function (haven't been on the forums in a while and everything has changed!).....

We bought a 1990 driftwood today with 77,800 miles on it.  There are several issues, but I'm not going to put that all in one post (that would be very bad).  The one we'd like to try and tackle first is the climate control.  Currently the only function that seems to work are the "off" button and the "auto".  The temperature control will not go up (only down), the heater button, bi-level, front and rear de-frost as well as the fan speed all do not light up and don't work.  The AC works fine and blows cold.  We've checked fuses.  We've only owned 88's and 89's so this is something new.

Tips please on where to begin?

On the plus side, we were thrilled to discover it had all manuals including log book and pens, tire pressure gauge, flashlight and atlas as in pristine condition!  I'd only heard of these items, I'd never seen them so it was pretty exciting ?

You need to take it out and clean the contacts.

Ronnie's site..........Reattaowners.com   has more details

Here is direct link to repair..........

http://www.reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=95:heat-a-ac-system&id=115:how-to-clean-1990-climate-control-panel

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kevin M said:

@ncgirl05 I had a similar issue on my 91. I followed those instructions and it works fine now. Also was that the car for sale in Cincinnati? I remember seeing a driftwood one over that way for sale with about that mileage. 

Yes!  That's the one!  One owner, garage kept, but the owner let a few things slide but they are all pretty easy fixes from what we see.  Got a great price on it as well. ? Driftwood has always been my favorite color so I was pretty excited.  

14 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

You need to take it out and clean the contacts.

Ronnie's site..........Reattaowners.com   has more details

Here is direct link to repair..........

http://www.reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=95:heat-a-ac-system&id=115:how-to-clean-1990-climate-control-panel

Stupid question, but what is used for 'contact cleaner'?

That’s a nice looking car. I would have considered that one but it was too far away. I like that color a lot too. Contact cleaner is usually in a spray can, usually oil based. You want a quick dry one. Most hardware stores sell it. It may be either in the electronics or cleaner sections. I’ve seen both. 

• Thanks 1

Contact cleaner.........WD-40 will work,   WalMart sells electrical cleaner in the automotive department.

The paper does the cleaning and the liquid makes it slide easier and carries away the dirt.  

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the Forums, Congratulations on the new Reatta you purchased. The Search Function works for me. From the Reatta forum, Click on search, select this forum, type in you search word and hit enter. I am using the Firefox Browser. Not sure if it works the same in IE or Chrome.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...