Red Field Access from Hershey Ave Area?

auburnseeker

In the past, until last year, We walked in from our hotel on Chocolate Ave along the back of the park and entered the red field next to the Hershey Park Admission booth.  Last year it was blocked off and we had to walk the new scenic long walk that eventually ended at the Giant center to get in the swap meet or walk against traffic to access the entrance of the chocolate field next to it.

Does anyone know if they have opened that route back up or is it forever gone?  It was sure nice for getting back to the hotel after walking all day. (especially if you wanted to see the Red Field)  I really don't like adding another 1/4 of a mile or so to my foot commute on the way back,  especially with a full cart of who knows what in tow and a large Wagon for the Daughter.

Seems to be closed to access making that really ridiculous walk to nowhere that eventually ends somewhere near the Giant center a wonderful joy first thing in the morning and especially last thing at night on the way home.  Was half way down it when the lightning started today,  fortunately it was only one strike.  I was thinking what a wonderful place to be all by yourself in the middle of a scenic field in a lightning storm with an umbrella and metal cart. 

Someone coming up that road said it was gated for construction,  hopefully it’s only temporary  ,though this is the second year,  with next year returning to some sort of  short cut again.  Otherwise I’ll be picking a different hotel next year.  

I didn't go this year, would have stayed in that same motel, though. How was it walking past "The Bog of Eternal Stench"?

Since the 1990's I remember a couple of times it rained and some mud, but those are vague memories. Never a deterrent. I always left Saturday afternoon filled with the fun of the experience and planning the next trip. I should have taken the ride down this year. It doesn't take much.

One nagging memory held me back. Comparing all the years, cars, parts, turkey legs, and all though the years. Last time I went I was left with this gnawing feeling I had spent a couple days in a crewcab truck and RV parking lot. Not like people camping at their space, but territorial squatters barricading their turf. Trucks, campers, and generators parked inches apart, particularly in the chocolate field, made anything but the ends of the rows impassible. The positioning was downright hostile. I wouldn't have been surprised to find barbed wire or broken glass around some spaces. You walk past six parked trucks and four campers, then see one table with parts and it gets annoying. So Thursday night, in my kitchen, I looked up at the clock and told my Wife "It's 7 now. I could go to bed in an hour, get up at 4, and be walking the field before noon." I thought of all those crewcabs. Then I remembered the old guy who used to park a 1950's Caddy hearse by his spot and Frank Jenkins who slept in a little camper full of parts in the BS row (Frank in the BS row is really easy to remember). Can't get those days back. I will probably go next year, but sooooo many spaces for parking.

My Son remembers us walking from space to space looking at everything. My short term memory is thinking "maybe I can get through here".