1930 Lindbergh Franklin poster for pickup @ Hershey

Walt G

Hello all,

I have for sale from my collection a Lindbergh Franklin showroom poster from 1930, showing a Dietrich bodied Convertible Speedster.

The poster image measures 23" x 35.5", and the frame overall is approximately 27" x 40".

The condition is excellent, has folds from the original delivery method to the dealer.

I am offering this for sale ONLY prior to the Hershey meet. The price is $3900 firm.

Payment is expected electronically prior to the meet, and the poster will then be brought with us to be collected in-person at our vendor space.

If the poster does not sell prior to the Hershey meet, it will remain in our collection.

Thank you for your interest, and please feel free to ask any questions!

IMG_0203.jpg

The poster was discovered by a close friend, Bob Feeley,  about 40 years ago in Ct. . It was with the family of the Franklin dealer who got it from the Franklin company  along with a lot of other sales literature. I bought one or two of the Franklin sales pieces but had the rest and mentioned that if he ever wanted to part with the poster to let me know. I have had it over 25 years.

I owned a 31 Franklin for many decades and about 30 years ago had it out for a ride and stopped to buy something. When I came out an older gentleman was standing looking at it and told me " I worked at a Cadillac dealer near Columbus Circle in New York in the late 1920s early 1930s and the Franklin dealer was also on Columbus Circle ( west edge of the circle) and he said it was wonderful as Lindbergh would go to that dealership to have his Franklin serviced ( the car in the poster) and when he did all the Cadillac service guys would stop work and go look out the window to try and catch a glimpse of the "Lone Eagle" . The people that owned the Cadillac agency did not object or tell them to get back to work. In 1930 the USA was in the depth of the Great Depression and people needed "heros" to get them through the day and give them hope, Lindbergh was all that and more. He used the NY City Franklin dealer ( Pace Motors) because he lived in NJ and had a publisher friend he often visited and stayed with on the north shore of long Island not to far out  in Sands Point. The publisher was Harry Guggenheim who in the late 1940s started a daily newspaper that still exists today named Newsday.

• Like 2