YEAHHHH!!!! RETIRED!!!!!!

Terry Bond

Well, after 21 years with the same company helping to recruit and hire healthcare professionals, I've officially RETIRED!   Of course I've done it before when I retired after 23 years in the U.S. Navy, but this time I'm not wondering what my second career will be- it's already happened, and it certainly was enjoyable and so satisfying.  To think the people we hired made such a difference in peoples lives is awesome.  Proud also of the projects I initiated to hire our veterans.  Those talented hospital corpsmen and medics can do so much more than what is normally allowed in the civilian world, and now we're successfully breaking down barriers for them and putting their experience and skills to work in the right place.

Friday was officially my last day at work, although I'll go back later this week for my retirement luncheon and to pick up a few things still in the office.  I woke up this morning without an alarm clock, didn't have to fight traffic, and spent the day leisurely sorting and packing for Hershey.  Best part of this is I won't need to work by axx off so I can go, ain't worried about what's going on while I'm gone, and won't have to unscramble some crisis when I get back.  Sweeeeeeettttttt!   So-if I walk by at Hershey with a kinda frozen smile on my face just figure I'm having a really great time!

Terry

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Congratulations Terry - see you in about 26 years.....

Congratulations, Terry...

Agree it is a great feeling waking up knowing you are now the scheduler (except in your case when Susan takes charge...? )

Yesterday it was 1 1/2 years since I retired.  My only regret was I should have done it 5 years ago.

Regards,

Peter J.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

I'm retired 8 years now and after commuting into NYC every day, I can honestly say I'm probably a lot healthier in both body and mind. The stress of going into the city every day was slowly killing me. I'm like Simnut and busier now than ever, playing with my toys. The only difference now is that I can do it at my leisure and not try to cram everything into a weekend. Best move you will ever make. There is an old saying, "when someone is on their deathbed, you never hear someone say I should have worked longer". Congratulations Terry, I don't personally know you but if I do see you at Hershey I will defiantly shake your hand!

• Thanks 1

Retirement day is when you can walk into the boss's office and say:  "You want me to do WHAT by WHEN?"  

My last day of work, almost 27 years ago, was on a Friday.  Someone in the office asked me what was the first thing I would do the next day.  I said I didn't know, but that I DID know what I was going to do at 6 o'clock Monday morning.  "What?"  "ROLL OVER!"

All the best.! 

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

Terry congratulations but I don't ever want to think of that word.  When they boot me out of here I will head to Wal-Mart and be a greeter!  I am going to send you a picture of a sign you MAY want.  Double porcelain.  I am selling a few things that have not made it on to the walls as this little racing hobby of mine has turned out to be a wee bit expensive!!!

Congratulations Terry,  As  an  old  car  guy,  I  am  sure  you  will not  just  sit  in  a rocking  chair  and  watch  the  world  go  by. Hershey is  just  around  the  corner, a  great  place  to  relax and see some  great  cars.

3 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

I woke up this morning without an alarm clock, didn't have to fight traffic, and spent the day leisurely 

Terry

Terry best of luck! There is nothing like a NATURAL WAKE-UP! It is great to hear when someone retires because they did not want to go to work anymore rather then the physically just can't go to work anymore

2 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

I'm retired 8 years now and after commuting into NYC every day, I can honestly say I'm probably a lot healthier in both body and mind. The stress of going into the city every day was slowly killing me. I'm like Simnut and busier now than ever, playing with my toys. The only difference now is that I can do it at my leisure and not try to cram everything into a weekend. Best move you will ever make. There is an old saying, "when someone is on their deathbed, you never hear someone say I should have worked longer". Congratulations Terry, I don't personally know you but if I do see you at Hershey I will defiantly shake your hand!

Three years for me now, and that NYC commute never got any easier after 40 years! I am sure you miss the Long Island Rail Road as much as I do!

Terry, we wish you the best in whatever you want to do.

Be sure to keep your mind and skills occupied so you'll

be as alert decades from now as you are now!  Don't

eat breakfast at 10 o'clock and wonder where the morning went!

Of course, car fans can always have something to

occupy their attention.  Isn't it great to have a hobby?

Thanks for all the thoughts. Oh, what a list I've got!  First priority when I get back from Hershey is to get ready for our annual MG Club Tech Session/"open garage"" day here. Always fun but I've always been stretched to do everything (clean out the garage, etc) because of work.  Now I can dedicate the time needed.   Also have one MG to finish restoring, two more cars waiting their turn, lots of house-type stuff to get caught up on, addling on to the back of the garage, two new antique showcases to restore, various collections to sort out and better manage, and I'll still be speaking to groups of transitioning military veterans as they make their journey to civilian life, etc.etc.  Then there are all those retired car friends nearby. I've already been asked to help strip an MG Parts car, help organize a model T tour and of course I'm very aware that all conversations will begin with..."since you are retired, can you...."

Yes, Susan has been very encouraging and no doubt, she plans to help keep me occupied.

I can remember being asked in college what I really wanted to do.  My only two requirements were that I had to be proud to tell people where I worked, and I had to be satisfied with what I did.  In both careers I feel I've accomplished that.  

Terry

• Like 2

Congratulations Terry!,

Now you and Susan can tour more with us - missed you on the Glidden Tour in Twin Falls, Idaho.

Now Sue can have twice as much husband on half as much income?

After 37 years my Son took over the restoration biz 2+ years ago yet I still come to work every day. Not quite as many hours but I'm here doing what I can. I hoped that not being the decision maker would be less stressful but it's not. Very proud of my Son and don't tell him this but he is better at restoring cars and day to day operation of the shop than I ever was. If I ever get to the point where I  don't look forward to Monday mornings I guess I will fully retire. My 51st Hershey next week and I'll be there talking to customers and potential customers. There truly is no cure for the antique car disease.

• Like 2

I retired 24 years ago.  I adjusted a week before I retired  . Terry your will injoy every day as long you don't mess up your other leg . King32. PS Iwas 50 when I retired .

Congrats Terry, only difference for me was to turn the alarm clock off. Had been telecommuting since 2004 when my employer finally agreed I had better computers at home than in the office.

Sill enjoying cars that have AC & still talk to them with computers just a little more complicated than a Prince Onboard Computer now.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mark McAlpine

Congratulations on your well-deserved retirement, Terry!  And what a fitting way for you to celebrate--by going to Hershey and finding some great treasures in the flea market, antique stores, and Allentown paper show.  Enjoy your retirement.  As Marty Roth pointed out, you should have a little more time to do all the antique car-related things you enjoy.  

39 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

When I retired I thought "What will they do without me", shortly I realized they(employer) put someone in place of me and never even missed me. So enjoy your retirement and don`t look back..

i guess it's a natural reaction to think about the folks left behind in the office to continue fighting the same battles over and over again, especially for those who have leaned on me over the years and sought advice. But - I'm sure I'll be missed mainly for the stories of weekend escapades and trips with the old cars .  I'll never forget the "retirement" speech Howard Scotland gave when he retired from the AACA Board of Directors - he stuck his finger into a glass of water, pulled it out and asked us what size of hole was left behind!  Hershey was a blast and the best part was NOT going back to work on Monday morning.  Next year I'm going to try and stay over for the Hershey Hangover Tour!

Terry

The end of the year marks 18 years of Saturdays.  I sold out at 55 and my only regret is that I didn't do it at 50.  Business was fun, but retirement is funner.  Congratulations!  Enjoy.

Regional Tours, Founders Tours, Sentimental Tours & Glidden Tours in addition to the local tours.

I'm not saving my cars for some street rodder,  I plan to use them up and redo them as long as I can.