1927/28 Gearbox rebuild

RichBad

Hi,

Almost finished my gearbox rebuild and when fitting the input shaft to the output shaft I noticed that there didn’t seem to be much axial location of the Hyatt bearing - which could allow it to rub on the sliding gear.  There wasn’t anything there when I pulled it apart but I noticed that the parts book shows there should be a retainer (27240) see pic below.  Does anyone know if this is critical - if so, what does it look like - is it just a steel washer/ring or something more complex?

thanks!

716325DA-20B1-4A17-9F1E-DEAFAE4AD1D4.thumb.jpeg.5c3dc460212c2df37915cbee5cc03440.jpeg

Not to be a wise guy, but that’s in there for a reason.  Did the car run and drive before you took it apart?  I find it strange that it would be missing - unless the trans was out and disassembled before you bought it.  I could be wrong, maybe someone was driving the car around for years with the part missing with no problem.  Any chance it’s hiding somewhere, misplaced when you rebuilt the unit?  Been there, done that.

1 hour ago, RichBad said:

Spiney, the car was driving with no problem, surprisingly as all the Hyatt bearings had collapsed.

Thanks Matt, that makes sense, was it gripping on the shaft or loose?

you could definitely turn it ok but it was firm. I can pull it back out if you like, the gearbox is still on the bench. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

you could definitely turn it ok but it was firm. I can pull it back out if you like, the gearbox is still on the bench. 

Thanks Matt, don’t worry pulling it appart as that’s a bit of a pain to pull the front bearing out.  I think there’s enough from your description and the picture that I should be able to make a small spacer to suit.  Cheers!

Thanks Bob!  

For others for info, it’s a hardened ring that locates the bearing removing play.  If it’s missing it can result in the sliding gear hitting the bearing and damage - seems like I was luck mine worked - although it’s possible mine pinged out when I disassembled it (that said my Hyatt was in pieces).