Jump to content

help for my 1940 centry


Recommended Posts

I need help finding my charging fix.For the at lest the last 3yr,s I cant keep it charging.I have put 4 new voltage reg and gen,s in it.I have sent it out and it last for a few mounthsWHAT am I doing wrong? any suggestings will be greatly appreciated thank you BUKE.

 

 

                                                                                                               Have a great BUICK day

Link to post
Share on other sites

@BUKE may need some additional info here.  Here are a few questions that come to mind:

What do the rebuilders find and fix when you send the generator out? Are they having to put in new brushes each time, or maybe having to just clean off the end of the armature and reassemble? How old are your battery cables ? Have both ends of both cables been cleaned in this time frame? Any other evidence of wire terminal corrosion that may lead to this situation?  Including wires at the amp meter and ignition switch? Speaking of wires, has the 40 wiring harnesses been replaced? 

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you give us more details about whats wrong? Does it charge right for a little while then stop charging at all? Does it just charge maximum all the time? Have you tested generator output at the generator rather than at the battery? Sometimes regulators are bad right out of the box and they usually need to be reset and adjusted. If you can be more detailed about whats wrong and what its doing we can probly help better. If your generator is burning out it sounds like it is shorted to ground and cooking itself. Have the wires been connected right? Mixing them up can make the generator go full blast without showing on the gage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can check to see if you have a current draw when car sits,disconnect the ground,and put ammeter between battery and ground should not pull any amps if everything is off . If it still has the original wiring also look there .The fabric insulation get brittle and mice find it a tasty snack.Hope this helps,good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...