Question Concerning Swap Meet Days

grubin

On Tuesday, we find that some vendors start coming in to set up around 9 am.  It is after lunch time that we arrive from Massachusetts.  We set up our camper at the Hershey Historical museum then ride our bikes out into the partially filled fields.  On Tuesday, you get to ride bikes all over with no problems. We like Tuesday afternoons for early bird stuff.  Good luck!

Only problem, Sometimes people Do not give us space to unload our stuff, we come a long way and need hours to setup, pop up canopies, and fill water jugs to secure them for wind. to make herco happy,breakout tables and unload thousands of pounds of stuff my Recommendation is if you come Tuesday come after lunch

See you there!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I can tell you that many vendors say that Tuesday is a great day for them.  There are a lot of early birds who are trying to get first crack at the vendors so about noon there is a lot of traffic.  Next year we are going to try to open up for business on Tuesday as a result. 

Great, now next year we will have to come up Monday. ?

3 hours ago, 1932chev said:

We have been vending art Hershey for many years, on the Red field lately, and I can tell you we make probably 80% of our sales on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I am in the red field also, my impression is that on Tuesday everyone wants to buy everything for pennies on the dollar.My best day as a vendor has been Wednesday, and Friday always seems to be dead, lot of lookers but nobody is carrying anything that they purchased from anybody. By 4PM on Friday I am packed away. The Red Field north on Saturday is nothing but porta sans and sea gulls   

25 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Great, now next year we will have to come up Monday. ?

Yes, that may very well will be the result of the decision regarding Tuesday. With the shift to Tuesday sales one was to wonder if the Friday lunchtime exodus of vendors will shift to lunchtime on Thursday or 5 pm Thursday? In any case, this is a very distinct possibility that the flea market fields will be even more empty next year on Friday than in years past. How spectators/buyers view that (after they burned a day of vacation time) remains to be seen. No way to know for sure what will happen until next year. Sure hope the words gets out to the vendors, spectators, etc. somehow A.S.A.P. 

Charlie

Guys don't get your panties in a wringer please! :)  The only thing I am saying is that for many years now people have been coming in to wander the flea market on Tuesday.  They are not excluded!  Since many vendors are setting up they are willing to sell and from what has been told to me, Tuesday is a great day for them and a couple of replies here confirm that!.  The Region has told us it is a super day for them so next year we will try to get open.  You can't come Monday because you can't get in!!!  It's all good, and it is not going to change the dynamic anymore than it already has...there is already too much flight on Friday, can't get much worse! 

• Like 1

Well If the no vehicle movement till after five would been inforced on Friday's then would not be a problem,with the amount and weight of parts I bring, I have to stay till Saturday and usually if Nothing is sold by 9am the wife says lets pack, my brother who has five spots as well always does great on Saturday cause all the new visitor potential buyers come on Saturday always complaining to us why there are not very many vendors open and we tell them a lot of people are tired and going home, plus the show is on. but he does exceptional cause guys that work all week come with bucks and want to buy something cause they cannot get off work,so there is very many angles to look at this, I think if all the rules were enforced it would not be as bad as one thinks, I want to sell parts to people on Tuesday that's what were all there about but I need a little  breathing room to unload :)  If I have to come Monday for setup it just means all the vendors that want a deal to re-flip an item for wednesday will now be trying to dig in my crap on monday. Just enforce the parkers and the early leavers, Remember people travel from all over the world and you start changing things they spend a lot of money and then there is a change they never know of it and then there mad and may not come next year. No matter what. I was raised at Hershey and God willing,I will always come, Just have some common sense. 

Cheers

Handleman, I agree with you fully but I know one of the issues is the difficult and unpleasant task of facing a truck and trailer trying to run you down while getting out!  Not sure how you legally can stop someone although it has been suggested that people who leave early lose their spaces.  Not an easy problem for the region to deal with and I am glad it is theirs to wrestle with!!

Jeff, there is a location on the field that someone's ashes have been discreetly placed along with a "substance" to make it permanent.  I think it is great and it harms no one including HE & R as it is obvious to no one but the few of us that know the location. 

• Like 1

And that’s why my question. Last year I came on Tuesday and stayed till Saturday. By Friday early PM many vendors were either already gone or packed up this this year I changed to Tuesday pm Wednesday and Thursday. Friday if I want to go prior to leaving. 

I was very surprised to see empty spaces on the Friday thus my question 

I appreciate al the answers.  

5 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

I hope to have my ashes scattered in the Red Field, seriously.

That was my plans till they paved everything, I figured now I would just be wash down the sewer if I was spread so I changed my plans.

My first trip to Hershey as an adult, was in 1971. Because we came with someone that wasn't in any hurry we got to the flea market about noon on Saturday. Vendors were pulling out already. In 72 we had a space for the first time and every year since. Saturday has never been a good sale day for us. We use to stay till Sunday morning until HerCo let us know on Saturday evening they want us out by 6am and then turned the PortaPotty people lose on the field at around 3am. The stench was bad enough we got up and left shortly after.

• Haha 1

A lot of smaller vendors help judge or show cars on Saturday.,  It tough unless you a professional vendor to have a booth open during the car show.  those my neighbor a professional tool guy in front of the Giant Center is always open on Saturday.  he does over 50 swap meet a year. 

On 10/3/2018 at 1:51 PM, Restorer32 said:

I could show you a tree on the edge of Chocolate field that I know at least three good people have been laid to rest at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hershey isn't the only event that has swung toward "come early-leave early". It seems more and more people want to get to a show early because they don't want to miss the early buyers/sellers and I can't blame them but it is disappointing to a guy that can only take Friday off or come on Saturday only to find vendors packing up or gone. With that said we try to be there setting up before noon on Tuesday. A lot of the "buyers" on Tuesday are the pickers that are looking for a treasure that can be nabbed cheap but that's ok there are also a lot of serious buyers just wanting first shot at that part they need. Tuesday afternoons are good for us, but by far the best day is Wednesday and it tapers down from there. Thursday is good, Friday is ok and Saturday there are only a few buyers scattered about. We usually start packing mid-morning Saturday and leave around noon. I do wish all vendors would at least stay thru Friday.

When you set up on Tuesday the goal is to sell everything you dragged down there, the prices drop on Wednesday, drop a bit more on Thursday, Friday you are tired of looking at the stuff and the low ball bids get accepted. Friday and Saturday are tourist day and we left Friday evening. First time in 48 years I skipped the show. We had a great time. Bob 

On 10/3/2018 at 8:03 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

I can tell you that many vendors say that Tuesday is a great day for them.  There are a lot of early birds who are trying to get first crack at the vendors so about noon there is a lot of traffic.  Next year we are going to try to open up for business on Tuesday as a result. 

so does this mean setup and open to everyone on tuesday ??

or try to stretch the week and let people set up monday !?

i like vendors having Tuesday to set up and such. they can take time set up and not have to drive around people trying to swarm the field for a deal. I start my hunting on Wednesday morning. I respect the time they have to set up and prepare. plus they can unload with out someone else messing up their mess ;)

but it is all good.  

11 hours ago, BearsFan315 said:

so does this mean setup and open to everyone on tuesday ??

or try to stretch the week and let people set up monday !?

i like vendors having Tuesday to set up and such. they can take time set up and not have to drive around people trying to swarm the field for a deal. I start my hunting on Wednesday morning. I respect the time they have to set up and prepare. plus they can unload with out someone else messing up their mess ;)

but it is all good.  

All that will do is limit the picking to the other vendors rather than letting everyone pick.  Even as it is lots of guys got picked first thing this morning by other vendors.  It’s not like the vendors will wait to pick others until Wednesday. 

This year?  Lots of empty spaces.  I didn't examine but many looked like there were stickers meaning they were reserved but the occupants didn't show up. 

Our first year having a swap space after attending for over 25 years.  Yep, had several offers for pennies on the dollar Tuesday but still sold stuff.  Wednesday?  Didn't sell a single item.  Thursday (today) rain predicted all day. Still at the hotel 8am and may not set up at all today.  Saw many vendors packing up, presumably to leave yesterday afternoon which is unfortunate.  We do plan to sell again Friday and hope we are not alone in the south Chocolate Field. 

Being a new vendor, I did read and agree to follow the rules set forth by the AACA.  Evidently, I am in the minority.  So many golf carts, ATVs, scooters, bikes, motorcycles, mopeds, trucks and cars cruising the swap meet yesterday.  There was one silver Kia sedan that was either blocking my walk or running up my heels that I was concerned he would run into me as I traversed several aisles yesterday.  While walking past a couple lime vested security I explained what he was doing.  One of the lime vest guys went to speak with him and I don't know what was discussed but the Kia continued to browse the aisles.  Crazy!!!!  All bets are off for me next year, IF I decide to show up as a vendor, guess I will bring my motorcycle, bikes AND golf cart.  It seemed no more than about 1/3 golf carts and scooters had permits so evidently that isn't enforced.  Bikes?  No problem, many are one the field.  Can't beat em? Join em!!

5 hours ago, CarFreak said:

This year?  Lots of empty spaces.  I didn't examine but many looked like there were stickers meaning they were reserved but the occupants didn't show up.

^^^THIS. Spent all day Wed at the swap meet - work constraints only allow me one day at Hershey. Lots of empty spaces, especially in Orange Field. We show up at 7:00 am and stay as late as possible.  Many vendors didn't open until 9:00 and by 3:00 - 3:30 vendors were starting to close up.

Today is Thursday.....awful day.  Rain on top of rain......as many Hershey's since I start coming in 1963 have been.  Not as bad as some, worse than many others.  I just quit and 1 PM and came back to the motel.  I'm not as young as I once was.  Rain makes me sick in more ways than one.  Tomorrow is supposed to be better.  Hope so, I have a few pieces of nice 41 Buick diecast chrome I want to sell.

Winds wiped out any money I made this year and then some.

The forecast was for 5 to 10 MPH overnight. I woke up to howling winds I’ll bet gusting over 25, and my heavily weighted canopy blew into my neighbors van putting a dent in his door and trashing the canopy frame. Sigh......

On 10/11/2018 at 7:58 AM, CarFreak said:

So many golf carts, ATVs, scooters, bikes, motorcycles, mopeds, trucks and cars cruising the swap meet yesterday.  There was one silver Kia sedan that was either blocking my walk or running up my heels that I was concerned he would run into me as I traversed several aisles yesterday.  While walking past a couple lime vested security I explained what he was doing.  One of the lime vest guys went to speak with him and I don't know what was discussed but the Kia continued to browse the aisles.  Crazy!!!!  All bets are off for me next year, IF I decide to show up as a vendor, guess I will bring my motorcycle, bikes AND golf cart.  It seemed no more than about 1/3 golf carts and scooters had permits so evidently that isn't enforced.  Bikes?  No problem, many are one the field.

i did notice this as well,  TONS of Motorized vehicles all over the place, many

golf carts: many driving UP to the tables and cruising the tables from the cart, no one else could get a look while they were table searching. 

-only golf carts should be security/EMT & CLEARLY MARKED, Hershey People that are collecting trash or working, NOT cruising around looking

bikes: saw plenty of people on bikes weaving in and out of walkers, dodging them, etc...  

-not at all, unless you are selling or buying, then walk it where you are going

scooters: who did NOT have one, saw a young couple, maybe 30, cruising together flying and weaving in people, stop in the middle of aisle, jump off, go scan through tables and stuff, then jump back on and off they went. 75% of those i SAW on a scooter did NOT need it !! just being lazy !!

-stupid people are ruining it for those that really need them, if they do not have a VALID placard and paperwork, just say NO !!

segway: saw a guy cruising the aisles on his 

-NO

automobile traffic: was horrible ON the field, people driving up and down the aisles, coming and going from spaces, trying to turn around tight coners with all the people walking. 

-set a limit to be on field, then NO driving, entering or leaving times, there is NO need for anyone to be driving a car truck, van on the meet field during the event, that is a safety issue and hazard.

then again rules, regulations, guides, only go as far as the enforcement !! if you do NOT plan to enforce them, then dont bother. 

BearsFan, this is the AACA Forum as I believe you are aware.  You will not receive a response to your complaints here or from AACA National.  The Hershey Region is the host that runs it.  Send your issues to them.

Regards,

Peter J.

While we are making comments….

Something I don't understand:

People wait all year for Hershey. They anticipate it all year, they talk about it all year, look forward to it all year, make their travel plans a year in advance, they pay for their swap spaces, pay for gas, pay for lodging, they travel great distances with a big load of stuff to sell,  and they take the time to  unpack and display all the stuff that they hauled hundreds or thousands of miles.

And then they set up for a few hours on one or two days, hurry up and pack and can't leave Hershey fast enough.

I don't get it. After a year of anticipation, don't you want to enjoy the event to its fullest????

I understand this is not unique to Hershey. It happens at Prewar Chickasha and  Bakersfield as well. Probably most other events too.

Yes, it rained on Thursday. No where near the rains we have experienced in the past. Actually, it wasn't even a steady rain. In the old days, we would have thought this was one of the "better" Hersheys weather wise. Instead, people packed up at the first hint of rain and headed home. The amount of empty spaces today was astounding. 

Tuesday, Wednesday, THURSDAY and today were great days at Hershey. Had a great time walking around, bought some neat stuff and saw some great cars. The time spent in my booth, however, is the best part. Watching the entire antique automotive world walk by is priceless. It never gets boring. Just when you think you have seen it all…….

Looking forward to the show tomorrow. Sometimes after the show, we just sit in our swap space in the middle of a near empty large parking lot and wish we could do this for just one more day. 

Thanks to the National AACA and the Hershey Region for making this happen again and again. See you next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I want to enjoy this great event to its fullest and I will be having a LARGE GREEN FIELD DOLLAR PILE SALE SATURDAY AT GCB 26-28. There will be 3 spaces full of  $1 sale items including taillights, handles & escutcheons, hubcaps, brake shoes, literature, wiper motors, books and manuals and much more  stuff from the 1940's to the 1970's available. We plan to stay open until at least mid-afternoon, weather permitting of course. Stop by and check us out on your way to or from the show field area at spaces GCB 26-28 near light pole #93 close to the Car Corral. See you there! The 55er. 

On 10/12/2018 at 8:33 PM, Peter J.Heizmann said:

BearsFan, this is the AACA Forum as I believe you are aware.  You will not receive a response to your complaints here or from AACA National.  The Hershey Region is the host that runs it.  Send your issues to them.

Regards,

Peter J.

Peter,

Thank you for the explanation and reminder.

For anyone looking to share their comments, concerns and suggestions with the Hershey Region, it looks like their email contact is:   fallmeet@hersheyaaca.org

On 10/3/2018 at 1:51 PM, Restorer32 said:

May be just a rumor, I heard that HersheyPark is going to demo the old stadium to add new rides, the Red Field will be staging area for equipment and materials, so no Hershey Red Field next year.  If it's just a rumor and someone knows the facts then post them.

My wife and I arrived Tuesday at noon, set up selling Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday.  Sold a lot of items, cleaning out garage.  Thursday, rain, few people set up and sold and few people walking the field (quite a change from the old mud days, people would walk then, guess the asphalt has spoiled them?)

Set up Friday, good traffic but, as has been mentioned, no one buying.  From a vendor standpoint, why stay if no one buying?

The most important part of Hershey to us now is seeing old and new friends, I make a point to ask anyone stopping by my spot "what car are you working on?" and that leads to great discussions.  Even had one fellow talking about a car he sold to "some guy in Virginia", and that guy was me!  And, of the very few 1901-1904 Pierce Motorette and Stanhope out there, four owners of same talked to me after  I questioned "what kind of cars do you have" , although I will say one of the four I already knew...