powder coat vs sandblasting and paint

broker-len

On 9/26/2018 at 8:05 PM, 61-63 said:

With that said I mess with old car stuff and have parted out several cars and buy and sell early 60s Pontiac super duty stuff as part of my hobby.  I have had a number of items/cars go through my hands that had components/floor undersides/frames coated with either powdercoat or POR15 or competing products.  Those coatings are fine until they get a chip in them, which can happen, and when it does rust can start and then creep under the surrounding finish and it comes off in sheets.

I like Rustoleum.

Guess what I spent all afternoon today dealing with? Yup, you guessed it. Powdercoated parts from the underside of my truck. They looked fine until they got chips in them and water got underneath the powdercoating. LOTS of rust and like you said the powdercoat came off in big sections. Thank goodness these parts are just the brackets used to mount the running boards on my truck. I thought briefly about using POR15 and paint. Then I decided to scrape off all the loose powdercoat , use a wire wheel on the rust and just paint them with Rustoleum black and be done with it.