65 GS at Barret Jackson this weekend

steelman

5 hours ago, dr914 said:

yes very nice, may be a little low in stance as compared to original GS specifications.  And yes will be a good indication of today's values 

Original Gran Sport (remember in 65 the GS is the intermediate Skylark) specs would be different depending on whether the H2 handling package option was ordered as well as the A9 Gran Sport option.

5 hours ago, dr914 said:

yes very nice, may be a little low in stance as compared to original GS specifications.  And yes will be a good indication of today's values 

LOL...George, I was thinking just the opposite! Seems a little high in the rear to my eye for an H2 equipped car.

Tom

18 hours ago, RivNut said:

Original Gran Sport (remember in 65 the GS is the intermediate Skylark) specs would be different depending on whether the H2 handling package option was ordered as well as the A9 Gran Sport option.

Ed,

In 1965 Buick also described and badged the intermediate Skylark as "Gran Sport". It was in 1966 that Buick used the "GS" acronym both in print and badging on the Riviera, Skylark and Wildcat.

Tom

• Like 1

Looks like a clone of my Gran Sport! 

I'd better go see if someone stole it, put redline tires on it and shipped it to Las Vegas!  (Gone to garage....)

Whew!  All good, mine is still there.  

All kidding aside, I too will be interested to see what this brings at auction.

Actually, I'm not so keen to see redlines on this car.  Redline tires aren't correct on a '65.

I believe '66 or '67 was the first year they were available.  Were they an option on Rivieras of the day?

That was discussed recently in a different thread.  Red line tires were first available in 67 but only as part of the A9 option.  That was also the first year for the radial tire option.  But, there is some doubt if that red line was a radial. More than likely an H70 profile bias ply.  I hope that I've correctly remembered what was in that otber thread.

22 hours ago, Rivman said:

With their fees you hit it right on the head …

1531265013_Green65GS.thumb.jpg.b60f5f22b94a4e8fb783921ff7d5d6fb.jpg

What is my prize? Rivmans 65 would be a nice present!!!!! Looked at 2 of my Dads last 65s he sold a few yrs back in the last month or so. One he sold in 03 and took a while to track down and is rough but still solid and his GS he had restored that turned out horribly and even a lawsuit and judgement. That one is actually for sale on CL right now but timing is horrible and which he held back a month more before listing but may try to make a deal if he hasn't sold it yet.

D

Seems like these Gran Sports are bringing decent money lately...

Out of curiosity, if this car hammered at $70k, and BJ added a 10% commission to bring the purchase price to $77k,, how much did the seller actually get?

What fees and commissions does the seller have to pay?   In this case, how much actually gets into the seller's jeans?

1 hour ago, kevin1221 said:

I believe this auction had a ten percent “sellers fee” as well as a ten percent “buyers premium”. In this case, the seller would realize 63,000.00. (70,000 times 10 percent = 7,000.00 sellers fee).

Kevin

Thanks Kevin!

Make sense - BJ's got you coming and going!  It's a business, after all.

12 hours ago, kevin1221 said:

I believe this auction had a ten percent “sellers fee” as well as a ten percent “buyers premium”. In this case, the seller would realize 63,000.00. (70,000 times 10 percent = 7,000.00 sellers fee).

Kevin

Plus seller has to pay the entry fee, which is typically $500 - $1,500, depending upon the auction venue, date and time, etc.  Usually the seller will also incur transport costs, hotel stay, etc.  He probably pocketed about $60k  after all that. 

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, misteroman said:

What is my prize? Rivmans 65 would be a nice present!!!!! Looked at 2 of my Dads last 65s he sold a few yrs back in the last month or so. One he sold in 03 and took a while to track down and is rough but still solid and his GS he had restored that turned out horribly and even a lawsuit and judgement. That one is actually for sale on CL right now but timing is horrible and which he held back a month more before listing but may try to make a deal if he hasn't sold it yet.

D

I figured since you had started the guessing you would be the one offering the prize?

It depends on which '65 you are referring to?

Good luck in your search for your dads Riv.

On 10/2/2018 at 12:36 PM, telriv said:

One of my friends from Mass. went to Scottsdale to sell his GSX. Put a reserve on it & didn't sell. All in all by the time he got back home with the car he was out of pocket close to10K. Not a cheap endeavor.

Ouch!

That's why I decided against auctioning my '68 Eldorado a few years back.  I sold it privately, but will never know if I could have done better at auction.  The up front costs I'd have to bear if the car didn't sell at auction deterred me from going that route.