BLACK & Blue 38

Engine rebuilder in Nor Cal.

I'm wondering if anyone in or around Northern California can point me in the direction of an engine rebuilder with experience with these old straight 8's, I'm willing to go up to 200 miles from my location near Chico California .The car is a 38 Special coupe with an original 248 with a rod knock so I picked up a 1953  263 from a manual transmission car but I need to find someone that can rebuild the motor and balance the crankshaft (does anyone do that to a near 3 foot long crank)from the 53 and flywheel from the 38 it's going into together. I also need advice on rebuild kits as I see names like Egge and Kanter along with a number of unnamed kits on evelbay. Any recommendations or advice is welcome and here is a shot of the car it's going into.

Buick Afterbay.jpg

Whatever you do, do not buy parts until you have spoken with the rebuilder you choose. Let them decide what you need.

There is a shop in Santa Clara that has been doing anjtique engines forever and they have a good reputation: Quality Machine. Tom Holthaus is a really great guy.

https://www.qualitymachineshopusa.net/About-Us.html

Not withing your 200 miles though

2 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

Whatever you do, do not buy parts until you have spoken with the rebuilder you choose. Let them decide what you need.

There is a shop in Santa Clara that has been doing anjtique engines forever and they have a good reputation: Quality Machine. Tom Holthaus is a really great guy.

https://www.qualitymachineshopusa.net/About-Us.html

Not withing your 200 miles though

It is!  Google maps shows 195.

Ben

Stop by Toms shop. He is a greta buy.

He has done lots of VERY old engines. This will be a "new" one for him.

Yes, but those are a very tough 195 miles - fels like a thousand.  (I stand corrected)

• Haha 1