Weather at Hershey

hvs:<P>I know you are out of communication with the regular DF'ers. I can help.<P>Went to Hershey today. Walked the market area. Weather was a light jacket, but, heavily overcast. Looked as if it would rain any minute, but, did not. It was a chilly 58-60.<P>I live in Reading, PA, about 1 1/2 hours East. Tonight calls for rain, possibly heavy, and, into the a.m., with clearing around mid-day Friday.<P>I will be attending Saturday with my 1972 <BR>TR-6. Saturday calls for 58 degrees but windy. Will feel like 42 with windchills.<P>Sunday calls for a 54 degree high with wind and a possibility of scattered showers.<P>hvs - I live locally. Get back if you need anything when I am at Hershey on Saturday. I will try to locate anybody you need for the DF'ers.<P>Regards, Peter J. <P>------------------<BR>heizmann<BR>senior member

Guest BruceW

Wednesday was a big difference in weather from Thursday with sunny skies and temperatures in the mid to high 80s. A bunch of people were actually getting sunburned. The first rain was a thunderstorm that hit right after dusk at about 7:00pm. This downpur lasted about 20 minutes, after which the sky became clear with a bright moon and no clouds. However it eventually clouded up after midnight and a second, more severe thunderstorm went through at about 2:00am Thursday morning which brought the cool weather. Thursday was actually more confortable for walking except for the uncertainty whether or not the clouds were going to open up on us with rain.

Howard:<P>BruceW, and, I forgot to give you the "Mud" forecast. Today was tacky with a few mires. Tomorrow afternoon, and, Saturday will be the good ole' mires.<P>As of 10:32 p.m. TV news, Friday will hit a high of about 68, then plummet to the low 50's on Saturday.<P>------------------<BR>heizmann<BR>senior member

Heizmann & BruceW ~~ Thanx for the rain and mud report. Peter J., thanx for the offer but I am OK. Leaving for Montana Fri. AM and won't be back until Tues. night. By then it will be all over and I can catch up on the Hershey final reports here on the DF. smile.gifsmile.gif<P>hvs<p>[This message has been edited by hvs (edited 10-05-2000).]

Doug:<P>Howard is correct. Yesterday (Friday) I parked my van in a farm field with rather good grass base. Parking for spectators is definitely on grass. You will get a little mud. Saturday (Show Day) is forecast for 59 degrees, Winds 15-20. No rain. <P>Car Show is on macadam.<P>Regards, Peter J.<P>------------------<BR>heizmann<BR>senior member

Yellow field report: mad.gif They were being towed IN on tuesday afternoon. Field a a total mess for whole show.<P>Blue field: fine on Wed. didn't get back there later.<P>White field: about 1/4" to 1" thick mud on thursday dried up pretty good friday afternoon.<P>chocoalate field : ? didn't make it over there. the Choc. annex: soild blacktop wink.gif<P>

As one who was switched from the green field to the WONDERFUL yellow field, I must say that I am most pleased that I didn't bother to come to Hershey this year. Probably won't next year either unless some drastic changes are made. Am I the only one who feels this way? A time will come when the vendors will rebel against continually being crapped upon. But then that's just my opinion. ~ Glad I'm on the road and not at Hershey. smile.gif

Getting pulled out was nothing new. What was frustrating was selling next to nothing because few people bothered to walk way over to the yellow field (especially the far east end, where we were placed) even on Wed. when the weather was good, let alone when aisles were muddy. So few people came over that we didn't even open our stand after Thurs. Why bother? When we were on the green field, we had decent days even when the rains came because our parts are under tents. It also didn't help when other vendors told people, "don't go to the yellow field".

Thurs pm I was to the Chocolate field, spent 4 hrs walking ok, Friday, had to park WWWWWAAAAAYYYYY over near the old road,seemed like a long walk, started in the yellow, gave up, then blue, sorta gave up, went to white, lots better! Then to Chocolate annex, wonderful! Chocolate again, then home, rather the East End for dinner, then home. Sat was very nice, except for the wind chill. Only 3 cars in 30-C, 1 preservation, one never there before , and little ole me! Didn't think the judges took as long this year as before, was it me or were they cold? Oh well, had a great time as always. smile.gif<P>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://ez68vet.home.mindspring.com" TARGET=_blank>myhomepage&picturesofmycorvette</A><p>[This message has been edited by ez68vet (edited 10-08-2000).]

The Chocolate field was such a night and day difference from the Yellow field that it was unbelieveable. There was some mud on the Chocolate, but NOWHERE near the conditions on the Yellow. Most of the Chocolate field was just wet. Water flows down hill and it sure did in this case!<P>Jeff

Guest rcirilli

I think I heard a record number of complaints this year, mostly about the Yellow field. I've seen some pretty bad bad conditions at Hershey but the Yellow field was a challenge. Working hard to walk was bad enough but so many vendors just didn't try. I have to say though that one of my two purchases, a very rare 29 Pontiac lub chart in excellant condition, was found in the Yellow field at a very good price.<P>The Blue field also offered some challenges on the corners. It was pretty easy to slip given the angles and mud. Hopefully these changes are only for a couple years. <P>Who would have thought the White field would every be a pleasure to go through.

I wonder how many people remember the red field? You know, back where the roller coaster is now, behind the maintenance building? Remember the 70s? The hills there were tremendous, there was a creek at the bottom. In 1978 or 1979 it rained cats and dogs all weekend. The creek washed some markets away even.....Our 71 Dodge van slid down one of the steep hills. Our space was on one of those hills and people would slide by even. People walked around in trash bags for raincots and boots. We didn't complain, we laughed about it, but you see, I was around 40 then and "ontheroad" was only around 45.... smile.gif ....makes a difference. <BR>Seriously now, things are programmed to get better after the new stadium is built on the green field. Lots of hardtop is in our future, so buck up folks!<BR>As for the weather, Saturday was the most uncomfortable for me....the wind was biting and it seemed very cold, same for Sunday ... there was frost Sunday morning. I've seen 22 degrees in 1964 and 1974 and I've seen 80s before as well. As long as I can walk (which is less than I used to without getting tired) I'll be at Hershey....it's the "Greatest Show on Earth".<P>[This message has been edited by Dynaflash8 (edited 10-09-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by Dynaflash8 (edited 10-09-2000).]

Mud & all, still had a typically fun time @ Hershey this year. <P>Arrived Wednesday evening & got the trailer parked, then went & walked the car corral. What a storm that night! Thursday we walked the chocolate field (including the neat little wooded "annex jr." at the north side of the car corral), blue field, and part of the white field. Friday we ventured to the "Lemon Field"--wow, pretty severe mud conditions there--not easy shopping when you're trying not to fall on your butt! Finished up the rest of the white field Friday also, plus another browse of the car corral (many more cars than when we first browsed Weds evening). The flea market "shopping" that we do those two days is not to find any specific parts per se, but rather just to see what there is to see; the anticipation & thrill of coming upon something unusual and/or cool in the next space at Hershey is unmatched. <P>Then Saturday we made our way onto the show field with our '54 VW in class 27A, going for preservation; I had a fun day hanging out near the car, chatting with friends old & new, while my wife browsed the car show (it was gratifying to see that more antique VWs are starting to participate, including that gorgeous '61 camper that was parked on the main aisle at the end of one of the rows) After the show we were on the road back to Connecticut, but not after a stop at the famous "Dietrich's Meats" at the Kutztown exit, for some edible goodies to bring home with us.<P>In all, we had a great time. Hershey is an experience positively unmatched. I am glad I wasn't a vendor in the yellow field, however, as that appeared not to be a great place to set up & try to sell one's wares, but speaking for ourselves, we still enjoyed the chance to browse there, challenging conditions and all. We're already looking forward to Hershey 2001!<P>Steve Mierz<BR>Stony Creek, CT

I am sure Hershey was set up with the best of intentions, but if the vendors keep getting the short end of the stick, we are not going to have any vendors. The selection and quality get less every year. This year the poor slobs who got stuck down in the mud hole must have been real impressed to see the RV show up in the old Green field! If we are not careful Hershey is going to be the country's biggest gathering of RV's, where eveyone shops for toys and Korean tools. Of course there will be fond talk of the old days when car people would come and find parts for their cars!

I must have been at a different place than runnner and some others. Lemon Field was slow but my spaces sold enough items to be reasonable. I spent more on good parts and literature than I have for the last several years. Found four great Marmon headlights and other parts I needed and some I didn't need, but bought anyway. Seems that some people forget the dismal first couple of years in Green Field - made Lemon look nice!!<P>Anyway, we had a great time, even with an unfortunate close shave!!

You have a good point to a certain degree Ron. I DO remember when many folks thought that the 'New Chocolate Field' was too far off the beaten path and nobody would walk over to it and that the soft 'New Green Field' would never make it. But, somehow I don't believe this 'New Lemon Field' which is no more than silt and sand along a creek will ever make it. We only had a little rain this year. Imagine being down in there during a 3 day soaker which we've had in the past. Not me!<BR>Rick

Hey guys, let me put in a good word for the Yellow Field! I was there on Wednesday, before the thunderstorms. What I liked was the soft, cushiony feel of the turf as I walked for miles and miles! It was kinda like "That cushiony feeling that lasts longer with MARFAK chassis lubrication"! The other days I stayed at the Library tent, which was up by the entrance. It was rather sloppy up there and traffic was much less than our previous location at the entrance to the Green Field. I think some people didn't even know that there was a Yellow Field.<BR>jnp

Ron,<BR>Sounds like you did well despite the mud and distance problems with Yellow Field. Our sites are located near the center of Yellow Field but did quite well anyway. Practically everything from our truckload of original Model A Ford accessories and reconditioned parts were sold between Wednesday and Thursday. It was a pleasant surprise, although the current supply is basically depleted and the search has to begin for things to refurbish for next year.