Condsenser on Ignition Coil snapped off. Need to replace both units now? ('64)

Hazdaz

So I've been having issues with the '64 not starting and I think (hope) I've diagnosed it down to it having a bad coil.  Took it off the car and long story short, the wire from the condenser coil snapped not giving me any way to solder it back on.  I checked the resistance on the primary and secondary coils and only the secondary one looked within spec, but the terminals did have gunk on them too. 

I cleaned the corrosion and gunk off the terminals on the coil and I was hoping to test it out, but I'm guessing that might not be a good idea if the condenser isn't attached to the circuit.

I'm seeing that regular coils are about $25 and MSD ones are around $40-50.  None of them have a condenser on them though.  Are these newer style coils that don't need a condenser?  Is it built into the coil itself?  Does the car need to have one installed? 

Or does anyone have an even better solution altogether (like a more modern ignition system)?

1 hour ago, Jim Cannon said:

The condenser reduces ignition noise on the radio while the engine is running.  I would consider it optional until you get the car running well.  Then pick one up from NAPA and install.

Thanks for the reply.  I'll give it a shot with the cleaned-up coil I have, but probably also going to order up an MSD Blaster II coil (with resistor) unless folks think there is a better option out there.  This coil was mounted horizontally and everything I've read states that its recommended they are mounded vertically. 

15 hours ago, Hazdaz said:

Thanks for the reply.  I'll give it a shot with the cleaned-up coil I have, but probably also going to order up an MSD Blaster II coil (with resistor) unless folks think there is a better option out there.  This coil was mounted horizontally and everything I've read states that its recommended they are mounded vertically. 

The ignition resister that you need is built into the wiring harness of the Riviera.  Do not get a coil with a resister built in, unless you plan to rewire the car to bypass the resistor wire in the harness.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

The ignition resister that you need is built into the wiring harness of the Riviera.  Do not get a coil with a resister built in, unless you plan to rewire the car to bypass the resistor wire in the harness.

Is it really?  My current set up had a resistor on it already.  The car was rebuilt before I even bought it, so not sure if those guys didn't know that it was built in or what. 

My understanding is that the resistor helps increase the life of the points, but reduces the spark going to the distributor (and thus spark plugs). 

I had been searching here and some people were talking about Petronix Ignitor upgrade to their stock distributor.  Does anyone have further opinions on this set up?  Worth the cost?  If I am correct, it helps improve the responsiveness of the motor. 

Norwalk         NO website. Started many yrs. ago & got hacked so many times gave up. Can be used with or without resistor wire, better if resistor is used. Dwell is ALWAYS constant. Turns itself off IF the ignition is left on so the coil & other components DON'T overheat & get burned out. Since dwell is always constant coil is saturated for most powerful spark, voltage. Not affected by moisture in the air. Don't have to worry about tarnishing. Don't have to worry about shaft end play, unless excessive. And other things I've forgotten at the moment.

Just go to NAPA & pick up an IC12 coil & a points condenser. OR, use the old condenser from your points when or IF you change to electronic.

Tom T.