Hawkeye Hawskinson Article

60FlatTop

I ran across this North Country article: http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2016/11/a-story-in-cars-hawkeyes-barns-held-treasures/

Back in 2011 I was coming back from a job in Malone and came through Saranac Lake to find this job parked at the curb. He might have been in town that day.

028a.thumb.jpg.768762a7830f3fc7d0e652deb2745eab.jpg

029a.thumb.jpg.8e7b8a09147477674d1ff74d15ad05a8.jpg

030a.thumb.jpg.eff61e630335caefcefe00837e2fda57.jpg

• 5 months later...

Driving our 1932 Packard 904 in Delray Florida last month to get it loosened up for Amelia, the car failed to proceed. (Broke down) First time in years I needed a flat bed to get back to the shop. Anyways, we were on A1A by the ocean, and had a park bench to sit on while waiting the 45 minus for the truck. A very nice lady came walking up to me and asked about the Packard. She then mentioned that she had a famous uncle who was a Packard collector........and his name was Hawkeye! I smiled and told he I had known him off and on, mostly off since the 70's from the Stowe Vermont meet. Had a very nice conversation, and learned quite a bit about him I never knew......and probably many others didn't either. Then I opened the hood up on the car and showed her his NOS AC K-7 spark plugs that came from his garage. A great chance meeting that makes the hobby more fun than most people can imagine. Ed

Before you ask, contamination in the fuel tank blocked the pick up........easy fix.......how it got in there?

am19.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was actually four pieces of masking tape floating around.........now.........how did it get in there?😱

22 hours ago, edinmass said:

It was actually four pieces of masking tape floating around.........now.........how did it get in there?😱

That is perhaps a different story:  Someone taped over the the filler neck or the fuel gauge sending unit and then someone on the "bad egg" side gave the cause a little help.

Although very well know for his collection of Packards,  Hawkeye also had a very special custom bodied Minerva, a model AK I believe, that now resides in a collection in western New Jersey awaiting restoration by its owner. The Minerva is in amazing original condition and I believe is complete and not lacking any parts.

23 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Although very well know for his collection of Packards,  Hawkeye also had a very special custom bodied Minerva, a model AK I believe, that now resides in a collection in western New Jersey awaiting restoration by its owner. The Minerva is in amazing original condition and I believe is complete and not lacking any parts.

There is an hour long Chasing Classic Cars episode out there somewhere regarding the Minerva: Preview  https://watch.motortrend.com/tv-shows/chasing-classic-cars/videos/hawkeyes-minerva 

Ralph is a good sport - he pushes cars on the London to Brighton and he was changing wheels on a Studebaker in this past weeks episode. 

Ralph and Wayne are good people.......lots of fun, and always smiling. We see them regularly on thr circuit, and occasionally on a tour. Never a dull moment. 

• Like 1

I’m sure Ralph told me what his plans were for the car, but I can’t remember. Most likely it is in line with a handful of other cars he has that are going to be restored. Then again, maybe he will trade it for another Packard.........I think his collection is one of the best, and is continuously upgraded with new and better Packards.