Crankshaft Pulley Removal 218CID G70

cricketkj26

I need to remove the crankshaft pulley to get into the timing case.  Can someone please advise if bolt is left hand or right hand threaded. Engine turns over fairly easy-

Any tips on being able to get this bolt out ? How do keep the engine from spinning while trying to break the bolt loose ?  Thanks, Cricket.

No - Not easily .It has a  flanged cast Iron cover  with 13 bolts that  covers the flywheel. Trans is still on engine in the vehcile, The car is up on Jack stands 26" off the floor. 

I can put the trans. in gear and apply max setting on Emergency brake which clamps around drum mounter Trans output shaft.  I also took the four small bolts out of the 

the crank pulley. (It looks like its a split 2 pc pulley ?) I will get a 2" socket from work tomorrow. Do I attempt  removing the crank bolt clockwise or counter clockwise when looking aft towards the firewall ?   I have to get into the Timing chain case to get the generator sprocket gear back on the spindle and correctly lined back up. Idiot me forgot that I had removed the generator and sprocket plate and attempted to hand crank the engine over to #1  top dead center. Needless to say the sprocket gear  cocked and came off the spindle and is now lodged in chain case.   See attached photos. Thanks for any advise . Cricket 

G70 Crank Pulley 1.JPG

G70 Crank Pulley 2.JPG

Timing Cs Gen Gear G70.JPG

How about a rattle gun for the centre nut?

Do those bolts screw into the pulley?

If so, can you use a puller with the puller part screwed into two or four of those bolt holes and push on the front of the crankshaft?

Take care not to damage the crankshaft noze! You may need to make something. If you do make something, the centre bolt should be a fine thread. I am thinking of heavy plate with four bolt holes for the pulling bolts and a centre hole for the pusher bolt.

Is that a vibration damper on the front of the pulley? It will have rubber in it if it is. The pulley might be on a key way.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

It what Chrysler calls a Impulse neutralizer and it a bugger to get off, the bolt has a right hand thread so counter clockwise to get it off, just made sure that the washer behind the crank bolt hasn't been turned up so as to stop it from turning the washer has an inner tab has sits in the Key slot which stops it from turning and an outer tab that is bent up against the bolt to stop the bolt from turning, the neutralizer sits on the crankshaft via a key so you'll need a pulley as Spinneyhill has recommended, good luck!   

Edited by Sasha39 (see edit history)

All the previous advice is great. I can’t remember having too many dramas undoing mine but make sure those tabs are on the washer are folded flat and I probably used a 3/4 drive socket with a breaker bar that’s probably about 18 inches to 2 foot long and she let go fine then used a puller to remove the pulley, best of luck with it

Great Info- Thanks All !  I  had seen before posting, that 2 of the lock tabs were turned up. Yes that is a vibration damper on the front of the pulley as  Sasha 39 says. It has 6 threaded bolt holes -3 on each side but only 4 had bolts utilized in a square bolt pattern. Ill get a 3/4 drive 2" socket and pull bar from work. Will machine a special 

insert washer with very small id to cover the hole in crank where crank handle goes in and see how a 3 leg puller fits up - We can fab up and machine a 4 legged  spreader bracket puller if need be. I am very concerned about that Generater sprocket gear still being in the chain case. its lodged in there against the spindle shaft and the chain is around it. Havent been able to get it out. Im going to take some 1/4" x 4" long wooden dowels  and try to lift the chain up and insert the dowels around the sprocket as spacers and then I can hopefully work it free and slide it out the back of the chain case opening.  Ive learned a hard lesson on this one . Oh By the way where the heck is the  timing mark ?  - its not on the chain case cover.  Will advise on outcome.  Are any of you folks going to be at Hershey ?  Would really like to talk to you folks that are knowledgable of these early Chryslers.I have a lot of questions. I dont think there is anyone in Florida  - Ive only located two other cars and one is a 4 cyl.  

Cricket - Lake City, FL USA          

To remove the pulley /harmonic balancer of my 1929 Chrysler 65 which looks very similar I just used a cheap harmonic balancer puller I got from the auto store I think I had to buy a couple of bolts to fit the thread of the holes on the pulley anyway I will try and get a picture later

Timing according to the Owners Manual is done off of number 6 Cylinder. Remove your valve covers, bring it up to top dead center on either number one or 6, check your valve tappets, when number 6 is in place correctly the valve lifters will be loose, you now have it timed. You can do it on number 1 but check with the firing order and bring up number 6 to confirm your settings. Obviously set your timing marks according to information Sasha presented. Then make sure on your distributor that the spark when retarded is on pointing on the number 6 lug of the distributor cap. I seldom have success getting hte plug out of the head if it has not been removed for a number of years. Rob

Im so over thinking this job on getting the crankshaft pulley off. THanks for the pics.  Havent attempted getting the cranknut off yet.  As far as the timing set up - it sounds like its not that important to have the TDC lined before I pull the distributor out-   just need to make sure when" reinstalling the distributor "  that I line it all up to # 6 TDC and Then make sure that the spark when retarded is pointed on the number 6 lug of the distributor cap. Is that RIGHT ??   The oldest cars Ive worked on extensively is 1960's 4 cyl Volvos. 

Im paranoid about breaking something I can t replace every time I start pulling things apart. Thanks Folks , Cricket. 

Yep, you're over thinking it cricket. Because you have jammed the timing chain with the generator sprocket, you have no choice but to pull the crank bolt and balancer off then take the timing cover off and check to see that you haven't damaged the chain. Its unlikely that it is damaged but there is only one way to find out.

The crankshaft pulley Bolt is off. No problems. I have installed the puller on the crankshaft pulley/damper assy and its coming foward just fine. The Engine is still installed in the car. The front cross member (which is not removable) has a well stamped into it that the pulley/damper assy rides in. (See above pics in my 2nd post). The pulley assembly cannot come forward enough to clear the nose of crankshaft to complete the removal unless the engine is raised up  3/4"  in order for the pulley assy to clear the front of the cross member. I wanted to remove the  chain case cover off the front of the engine with the engine in the car. Unless Im missing something and hopefully I am - the engine is bolted to the center cross member. Then  the transmission /clutchhousing bolts solidly  thru the back of  that same cross member into the back of the engine. It appears 

that Im going to have to remove the transmission in order to lift the engine the required 3/4" to get the pulley assy off  the crankshaft  ??? There are 4 bolts that hold the center cross member in place but I would trying to lift up one very long heavy eng/trans assy from under the car ( thats on jack stands)  that is in there very tight.  Am I missing something here ? ?  

• 3 weeks later...

I got the crankshaft Pulley off after removing the 4 bolts in the center cross member that bolt it to the frame rail and then  jacking up  engine/trans assy.

The sprocket gear that was lodged in the chain case is not damaged- just the oil line that is mounted right above the sprocket gear. It bent was over 45 deg and pinched completely shut. I was able to fix the line  - there was enough tubing there  behind the timing gear to cut off the pinched part and adjust the tubing run slightly.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.  Cant get photos to post- will try again later. Discovered other Timing  issues -will address in separate post. Cricket